www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old Yesterday, 20:18   #31
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
She really was that popular but with big popularity there's always people who won't like something. Since quite early there had been that issue of her looking seemingly overly sexual and being an example of objectifying women. I remember the press sometimes throwing the description "silicone bomb" at Lara, usually in reference to Pamela Anderson, except nowhere was it said that Lara's bust was artificial. Due to her exposure and media presence people just made their own opinions of her judging by her looks. She really got more famous than the games she was in, so she was an easy target for backlash. I believe that's where the roots of the reboot are and the devs willingness to remake Lara.
Then they are bloody cowards. If they are ashamed of the character they are not the right people for her.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:41   #32
Samz
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Then they are bloody cowards. If they are ashamed of the character they are not the right people for her.
I think its less shame and more "Mass appeal" possibly due to the way-too big budget 2013 had (that I bet they spent most on those scripted key dangling sequences where everything blows up on you) thats why she's suddenly a very generic and safe cookie cutter character and why her breasts are small, to appeal to... well I'm not sure who exactly, but I bet SJWs are part of them (Since alot of them say stuff like "OH LARA ISN'T SEXUALIZED ANYMORE!!!" even though she never WAS in the actual games made by the ACTUAL developers, but I'm starting to rant, same reason the series is suddenly Uncharted-like third person shooters with a weak exploration element instead of adventure games with a lesser focus on combat, its for mass appeal and maximum money, because sadly nowadays adventure games are a somewhat niche genre, thats why I think she was changed, for me, there's too much casualization in the reboot to be a coincidence:
Survival Instinct
Laura's Hints
Regenerative Health
Easy Cover shooting
Significantly more simple puzzle mechanics (Such as the Rope arrow which is a downgraded grapple)
All the key dangling cinematic ACTION SET PIECES!!!
The "Relatable" "Characterisation"
The "Diverse" Cast that are complete sterotypes
The fact Rise seems to be somewhat anti-christian (AKA the one religious group you are allowed to make fun of and the one SJWs like to hate) since Trinity are literally the Vatican and Jacob literally looks like Jesus.

It all just reeks of becoming Hollywood-style incredibly easy nonsense for maximum profit to me due to all these "Coincidences", and her character is just a causality of it, she was a (even now honestly) bold Female Character and (if you think about it) progressive and now she's replaced with what those SJW's and likewise think is "Progressive" (but is actually regressive).

Last edited by Samz; Yesterday at 21:19.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:00   #33
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

I've never read this draft of her biography, maybe she still has British heritage on her mother's side. I like the idea of her being a woman of colour. I'm quite inspired to create a 3D model based on this design.

Quote:
Lara Cruz is a modern day adventurer and procurer of rare artifacts. Lara has PhD in Archaeology and Comparative Mythology from Oxford. She is also a mercenary. Lara’s father was a Major in the Special Air Service, and taught Lara everything he knew of combat and survival skills.

Last edited by Nausinous; Yesterday at 22:05.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:19   #34
SoraSakai
Explorer

Why though? Does the color of her skin really matter?
Old Yesterday, 22:57   #35
redfox45
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Being able to experience the character the way she was originally designed and intended to be? If she was still a British aristocrat then the answer would be no but...
vvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausinous View Post
Lara Cruz is a modern day adventurer and procurer of rare artifacts. Lara has PhD in Archaeology and Comparative Mythology from Oxford. She is also a mercenary. Lara’s father was a Major in the Special Air Service, and taught Lara everything he knew of combat and survival skills
Totally forgot about this, I remember seeing it on the wiki one time. Sounds she was meant to either still be british or have just grown up in England.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:26   #36
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
It doesn't, I just think Latino girls are hot and wouldn't of minded Lara being part Colombian, Brazilian or any of the other South American countries. Also WOC don't get nearly enough representation, I can think of only one game where there is a leading character with a woman of colour and that's Uncharted Legacy. Also it would of been a postive role model for girls of colour where a Latino woman is Oxford educated, rich, and physically capable.

Last edited by Nausinous; Today at 02:27.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote