www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 19-10-18, 21:33   #1
DragonSlayer
Professor

Default GamesMaster and Games magazines to close next month

GamesMaster one of the best videogames magazines ever is to close next month.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/19/games...month-8055130/
https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/19/games...imism-8056581/

It's a pity it's closing, I've been reading GamesMaster since the PS2 came out I'm going to miss it when it's gone, I stopped buying every issue of Games years ago and would only buy an issue if it were worth buying, I never missed an issue of GamesMaster.

I'll miss GamesMaster's fanbase section the most, some great pictures were sent in by readers over the years.

GamesMaster had some great features over the years, they had one really memorable review where instead of a score they put question marks in the score box, I think the game was Operation Raccoon City.

Undoubtedly with more gaming news easily available online, it was inevitably going to have an impact on print magazines, so many great magazines have disappeared over the last few years, anyone remember PSM3 pity they closed down that was a great magazine so too was PlayStation World aka PSW.

Now that I think of it PLAY magazine is no longer around at least physically, it went digital only a couple of years ago.

The only magazine that's left for me to read now is Official PlayStation Magazine, Edge magazine is still going to be around but that's not as good a magazine as GamesMaster, Games or Official PlayStation Magazine so I wouldn't miss that particular magazine if it were to close.

While it's convenient having so much gaming news online, it doesn't compare to picking up a magazine and flicking through it to see if there is anything interesting in it.

The final issues of both magazines will be out on November 1st.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 02:39   #2
domino92
Tomb Raider

This just plain sucks.

Yeah the business model just isn't there to support magazines like these anymore. Sure some mags continue to survive, but they generally rely on tapping into a niche audience to provide information or articles they can't find anywhere else. It's really hard to do that with gaming news.

I think there will be a renaissance of crowd-funded gaming mags some day, just not today.
Old 20-10-18, 08:51   #3
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
This just plain sucks.

Yeah the business model just isn't there to support magazines like these anymore. Sure some mags continue to survive, but they generally rely on tapping into a niche audience to provide information or articles they can't find anywhere else. It's really hard to do that with gaming news.

I think there will be a renaissance of crowd-funded gaming mags some day, just not today.
I predict that sometime in the near future that magazines will start to appear on the antiques roadshow, it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

Now that I think about I haven't seen an Xbox magazine for quite a long time, I'm not sure if the magazines closed or my newsagents just stopped selling them I'll have a look when I go there later.
Old 21-10-18, 02:21   #4
KylieDog
Archaeologist

Without exclusive stuff they are beat to news by websites. I assume they still give away posters as incentives? I had a crapload from the 90s and early 2000s.
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 16:29   #5
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieDog View Post
Without exclusive stuff they are beat to news by websites. I assume they still give away posters as incentives? I had a crapload from the 90s and early 2000s.
I think they still giveaway posters but I'm not sure, I can't remember if they gave any away this year I think they have but I can't remember, depending on what was on the poster I may or may not keep it, if it was a FIFA poster or a poster for any game I didn't like or had no interest in I would throw it straight into the recycling bin.
Old 31-10-18, 16:11   #6
irishhips
Tomb Raider

The final issue out tomorrow if there is one