Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 28-10-18, 01:31   #1
charmedangelin

Default Just watched Tomb Raider (2018)

And I loved it, I thought it was a really good movie and Alicia Vikander was freaking amazing as young Lara Croft. I swear, I kept thinking that I was watching a younger version and Angelina's Lara Croft. Her version of reboot Lara is exactly the kind of Lara we should have gotten in the games. She has charm and sophistication. She also has an edge and a smart mouth. She feels much closer to classic Lara than she does as reboot Lara. Some of her outfits even reminded me of Jolie's Lara, especially the leather jacket. If they make a part two of this movie then she needs to star in it again, she was fantastic. Especially her voice and her accent, she looks and sounds very Lara to me.

As to the plot it's pretty much cliche to a point, but they do it in a way that is quite smooth and enjoyable. I'm quite tired of the parents stuff so I was kinda annoyed a bit about the father thing, but I also was happy about how they handled it. It was a nice twist for a change to where her father was actually alive. I wasn't expecting that, of course I knew full well that he would meet his end, but it was nice to actually have something a bit different than the dead parents all the time.

I also like how they handled Trinity, they made them seem more sinister than they are in the games. In the games they are a joke and quite generic. They still are generic in the movie, but they were a bit more idk, ominous I guess.

Anyway I loved Lara's new friend, the one who took her on the boat a lot more than anyone in TR13. He is much more interesting and honestly very attractive. lol

One thing about the movie that I really liked was the tomb. So many of the traps and the puzzles in it made me keep wishing it was actually in the main game. The tomb was far better than anything in the game. I especially liked the floor trap with the color puzzle. And the barrel spike thing swooping down. It was incredible and was exactly what was missing from the game.

This is also where I felt a disappointed, I had hoped there would have been more than one tomb in the movie or at least the main tomb would have been feature more in the movie with more rooms, traps, puzzles.

One thing that is missing from the movie that I actually like in the game more is the supernatural. I kinda didn't like how Himiko's rumored supernatual abilities were all things that could be explained by science. I think use of the supernatrual would have helped the Himiko plot more.

All in all I felt the movie was pretty solid and I don't see how this was a bad movie video game adaptation. I could certainly point out a number of references from the games. I liked how they also gave Lara's equipment some meaning.

Especially the duals in the end, the movie suggests she uses them just to show off her badassery, and honestly it's such a Lara thing to do and a Lara reason to do such a thing.

Also the transition into the Rise plot at the end of the movie with the cliff hanger was so smooth and paced quite well. I liked how one minute Lara is all smiles with Anna, giving her access to the company as she always has had, but then realizing that she may have made a big mistake.

All in all I think this is a solid 9/10. I didn't expect to enjoy this movie so much and to me it's how the games should have went imo. Especially Lara if nothing else, Alicia Vikander was just so on point with Lara that I couldn't help but smile at some of the more classic Lara traits she has.

I'm really hoping we get a part two of this movie, just so we can see her using the duals and being the badass classic Lara Croft again.

All in all a solid 9.5/10.

EDIT

Lol My score increased as I was writing the review my bad, I'll stand by my 9.5/10. The movie was great.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 28-10-18 at 01:34.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 03:19   #2
laracroftswest

It's such a fun film and is great fan-service for anyone who wants to see something close to Classic Lara and how she found her way (that doesn't involve a Himalayan plane crash). Glad you enjoyed
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 12:32   #3
Portugalraider

Honestly quite surprised you enjoyed it so much, that's actually great

I have my problems with the movie, though I really enjoyed it, but I have to agree, even if I like reboot Lara, personality-wise she should be more like the movie version: still vulnerable, still relatable, yet still so badass and snarky and so Lara Croft. Reboot Lara is like that in the comics actually, which is kind of a shame why she isn't in the games.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 15:35   #4
Grimaldi

Glad you enjoyed it! As much as I like reboot Lara, I definitely agree that the film’s portrayal is a more authentic and recognisable Lara Croft, and what the games probably should’ve aimed for. Alicia did a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin
Anyway I loved Lara's new friend, the one who took her on the boat a lot more than anyone in TR13. He is much more interesting and honestly very attractive. lol
He is! We should make a Lu Ren appreciation thread.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-18, 19:49   #5
Peo86

I finally watched this movie. Gooosh, it was so terible. I like only two things in this movie: plane scene and the end titles
Peo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 17:36   #6
MilkShakespear

I'm with you, Peo. I showed up opening night in my Alex cosplay, and couldn't help but laugh the whole time. Of course I bought the steelbook dish, and watched all the extra features, but oh my word, what a goofy movie.

"Open the Tomb!"

What was Richard Croft doing there? Come on!
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 19:46   #7
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkShakespear View Post
What was Richard Croft doing there? Come on!
Ruining the movie, that's what.
Old 01-11-18, 02:01   #8
MilkShakespear

XD
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 23:08   #9
AshesBorn

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It had some great scenes (pretty much everything leading up to Lara's trip to Yamatai, and of course the tomb), I loved Lara's personality, but a lot of the writing felt cringe to me, and the daddy stuff was even worse than in the games imo.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 06-11-18 at 23:14.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-18, 23:56   #10
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It had some great scenes (pretty much everything leading up to Lara's trip to Yamatai, and of course the tomb), I loved Lara's personality, but a lot of the writing felt cringe to me, and the daddy stuff was even worse than in the games imo.
That's basically my opinion as well, although I would add that there being nothing supernatural about Himiko and Yamatai was also a let down, though I like the "Himiko was not evil" plot-twist.

But serious, f*** Richard. Although he could have worked well if he was actually dead and haunting both Lara and Mathias. That could have been interesting and "maybe" justify his presence in the movie.