Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 06-01-17, 02:38   #21
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
Ummm u realize that Tomb Raider 2013 was originally supposed to be an open world game right. But they scrapped it in the development. There's gameplay too and it looked like it could've worked. With the technology they have now, open world would be really easy. I also don't understand how people say Tomb raider can't be open world. The game is based on EXPLORATION! The hubs can get but so much bigger without running into each other. With the demand of more tombs from almost every review I've seen, it might as well be freeroam.
And for some reason CD decided against the idea of an open world, and went for a Hub-based game. Maybe because, as I said, an open world, or at least an open world like most games do them, does not fit Tomb Raider.

As I said, the kind of exploration that Tomb Raider games are based is not the same kind of exploration open world games usually do. Tomb Raider is about exploring closed areas in order to solve it's puzzle and discover how to go to the next closed area, while most open world games are just about finding the next landmark, which usually does not involve puzzle solving, just basic travelling and combat.

And as I also said, I do not find it impossible to create an open world game that could also fit Tomb Raider's style of exploration, and gave the example of Zelda Breath of the Wild, which is shaping to be that kind of game. But a game like that requires a considerable big budget and a lot of development time (Zelda BotW development lasted at least 6 years, maybe even more), and lets face it, Square Enix would not give any studio which is not developing the next main Final Fantasy game that kind of resources.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 06-01-17 at 02:39.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:40   #22
Horus-Goddess

Open would sounds intriguing, but I'd be concerned it'd suffer from not having enough time put into other important areas. Like, in Skyrim (old game I know) the dungeons are all practically the same, linear, kill everything kind of adventure and you eventually lead right back to the entrance where you came in. In other words it's rather... shallow I guess?

I wouldn't want tombs in TR to end up even less challenging than they already are. Plus I have a hard time imagining how they'd work in open world, when their games seem to be so story oriented on a straight path. It might get to feeling too RPG-ish, but I guess it depends on how it's done.

Edit: Also, what PortugalRaider said previous to my post brings up a lot of valid points too. Open world doesn't tend to spend as much time detailing close quarters environments with lots of personal interactivity like TR games tend to do. Because each interior or puzzle area is very detailed and thought out (or should be). With open world it'd mean what I'd assume, a large number of different areas to explore. Having 20+ side tombs vs the current trend of 8 or 9 or whatever would mean they'd probably be a lot less detailed. And not just the tombs but also other areas of interest, whatever they may be.

Last edited by Horus-Goddess; 06-01-17 at 02:46.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:48   #23
Daring Do

^ just because it'd be open world doesn't mean it has to have the same level design of Skyrim though.

Personally I think the hubs work a bit better because you could have them all around the world. Done with tropical hub? Then go to the desert hub.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 02:58   #24
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
^ just because it'd be open world doesn't mean it has to have the same level design of Skyrim though.

Personally I think the hubs work a bit better because you could have them all around the world. Done with tropical hub? Then go to the desert hub.
Yeah, that could work. I just mean I'm worried they wouldn't have enough hands to work on that much more material. Since like someone else mentioned, they probably wouldn't be allowed an even bigger budget since SE is so obsessed with funding their Final Fantasy stuff.

Though if it'd mean less collectables randomly scattered everywhere I'd be for it. I want meaningful exploration again.
Old 06-01-17, 03:39   #25
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:

Yup. Tomb Raider is about as perfect for an open world game as you can get. Discovering tombs on your own in a vast world, stumbling on mystical creatures, tons of cool articafts to discover, no limitations of linear gameplay. Pure perfection. You can easily dump hundreds of hours into an open world game off of all the things you can discover.

In addition to this it'd be amazing if Lara had a camera and you have the option to take pictures of scenery, artifacts, creatures, etc. Classic Lara wrote books to fund her travels - how cool would it be to add that to the new universe and actually get to use it in gameplay.

AHH THE POSSIBILITIES!
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 03:46   #26
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess View Post
Yeah, that could work. I just mean I'm worried they wouldn't have enough hands to work on that much more material. Since like someone else mentioned, they probably wouldn't be allowed an even bigger budget since SE is so obsessed with funding their Final Fantasy stuff.

Though if it'd mean less collectables randomly scattered everywhere I'd be for it. I want meaningful exploration again.
I think they can do it. It is lame that SE gives little investment into TR, but I think CD could pull it off.

I didn't find the collectibles meaningless. For the relics Lara said a cool little fact about them and the tapes/journals added a bit of lore that was interesting. Though I definitely want more optional tombs that you can discover. If they were to ever take anything from Skyrim it should definitely be the feeling of discovering new dungeons to explore. And have more caves and crypts as well. Those were cool.
Old 06-01-17, 03:48   #27
JoelCaesar

Ahh yes Tomb Raider in open world. Imagine a Valley of the Kings hub, sand for all the eye can see. That sounds... terrible.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 03:52   #28
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
As I said, the kind of exploration that Tomb Raider games are based is not the same kind of exploration open world games usually do. Tomb Raider is about exploring closed areas in order to solve it's puzzle and discover how to go to the next closed area, while most open world games are just about finding the next landmark, which usually does not involve puzzle solving, just basic travelling and combat.
Very true and yes it makes sense that it wasn't open world at first. The game was already taking a huge risk by rebooting Lara and changing the playstyle. If it were to change that dramatically it most likely wouldnt have succeeded so the idea wasn't necessarily tossed but maybe put to the side to slowly introduce it. And remember, although Lara does travel through massively hidden temples and caves, she has to get there somehow and I found it very limiting for her to just go to one place and then leave immediately. I love the idea of different areas you can visit to find bits and pieces of different cultures. Instead of cramming everything in one level. It really focuses on how much happened in this area.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 04:17   #29
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
I think they can do it. It is lame that SE gives little investment into TR, but I think CD could pull it off.

I didn't find the collectibles meaningless. For the relics Lara said a cool little fact about them and the tapes/journals added a bit of lore that was interesting. Though I definitely want more optional tombs that you can discover. If they were to ever take anything from Skyrim it should definitely be the feeling of discovering new dungeons to explore. And have more caves and crypts as well. Those were cool.
Well, they weren't completely meaningless. I liked the artifacts she'd talk about. It just felt that in the number of collectables and salvage to dig up etc it was just too cluttered. It felt more like busy work rather than something really engaging, to me. Especially 100%-ing Rise. :S I never did 100% TR2013 so I don't remember if it was as cluttered as Rise was.

Either way though, I am interested to see where they'll go next. If there's anything I'll give them props for in Rise, is that for me the gameplay was so so much better all around. There're still things I wish they'd tweak or change but, overall it has a lot of potential.
Old 06-01-17, 04:50   #30
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess View Post
Well, they weren't completely meaningless. I liked the artifacts she'd talk about. It just felt that in the number of collectables and salvage to dig up etc it was just too cluttered. It felt more like busy work rather than something really engaging, to me. Especially 100%-ing Rise. :S I never did 100% TR2013 so I don't remember if it was as cluttered as Rise was.

Either way though, I am interested to see where they'll go next. If there's anything I'll give them props for in Rise, is that for me the gameplay was so so much better all around. There're still things I wish they'd tweak or change but, overall it has a lot of potential.
Well I haven't 100% either of them so I guess I wouldn't know. Maybe they should spread them out a bit more in the next game. It'll make them more special.

I can't wait for the next game! Its gonna be so great! (Im a little scared for the story but hopefully it'll be just as good)