Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-01-17, 18:07   #191
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
You said "it looks mediocre". I thought you were referring to the visuals.
Oh, well no, I was saying the gameplay looks mediocre.

Quote:
I didn't know you could climb giant robots in Far Cry, nor that there were dialogue options or a strong narrative. The platforming elements will actually twist things a little bit. The game will probably not be groundbreaking... Very few game achieve that anyway... but It seems to have taken a little bit of good content from most good games out there and merged them in one product.

As for lacking substance, boring, repetitive, I guess it's too soon to tell. The studio said we would have our fair share of side quests and in-game activities outside the main plot.
I didn't say it was exactly like Far Cry, but that it resembles Primal. HZD is too much like how Primal was to the Far Cry franchise. Open, like I said, but lacking substance, repetitive, I won't say it looks uninspired, per se, but the gameplay looks uninspired, but the story and art style are not so much.

Quote:
If what we've been shown is your definition of mediocre, I envy your luck of having never playing any game factually mediocre. You should google Alone in the Dark on the Wii, watch some playthrough, test the game and now we'll talk about mediocrity.

Had you worded "repetitive, uninspiring", I wouldn't have said a thing. But I stand that you have no reason to classify this game as "mediocre", not when there has been worse out there. Even No Man Sky doesn't deserve that title lol.
This is where you lose me, every single time.
You bring a good argument to the table, and then this.
My opinion is not valid to you because... other games are worse? That's a really silly thing to say tbh. No Man's Sky is incredibly mediocre, by the way. As well as The Order: 1886.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 18:20   #192
ESCachuli

My only issue with this game is the ledges are even more noticeable than TR2013. And that's saying much xDDDD I mean, even the "mecha-brontosaurus" has some unnecesary extra ledges in bright yellow. You don't need them. She could climb through the scales of the neck. Anyway this isn't a platforming game and it's their first adventure-sandbox game so I can forgive them.

The rest of the game looks very good.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 18:38   #193
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
This is where you lose me, every single time.
You bring a good argument to the table, and then this.
How can you talk about my wording when your original post that triggered the discussion was a non-constructive one-sentence post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
My opinion is not valid to you because... other games are worse? That's a really silly thing to say tbh. No Man's Sky is incredibly mediocre, by the way. As well as The Order: 1886.
And afaik, I didn't say your opinion was not valid, don't put words in my mouth and read again. What I meant is that I don't understand how you can call what you saw "mediocre" when there has been worse out there and if your answer is "this is my opinion", then let's just agree to disagree because there won't be much to discuss on, not unless the game get released.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 18:45.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 18:42   #194
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
How can you talk about my wording when your original post that triggered the discussion was a non-constructive one-sentence post?
I have... nothing to say to this. Nothing productive, at least.

Quote:
And afaik, I didn't say your opinion was not valid, don't put words in my mouth and read again. What I meant is that I don't understand how you can call what you saw "mediocre" when there has been worse out there.
That's certainly how your post came across to me. I'm not denying that there are worse games out there, but that doesn't make HZD any less mediocre, in my eyes, from the footage I have seen so far.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 19:12   #195
Isaac

My intention wasn't to discredit your position, you're free to think what you want (duh!).

It's just that, given the amount of bad games out there, I was surprised with your wording, especially for a game surrounded with a fair amount of hype and positivity from the press/players who experienced a playthrough. I can agree about the uninspiring or reptitive part, these are also my concerns, but mediocre...... I'd be curious to know what define a mediocre game for you.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 19:32.
Old 11-01-17, 19:53   #196
Tomb_of_Darkns

I hope this game does well. So far what I've seen it seems fun, however the story so far with the stuff they've shown us seems very "Enslaved" to me. I'm always wary over open world games because, to me, they get boring. It's just the idea of doing several similar side quests never appealed to me. Hopefully they will make it interesting.
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 20:43   #197
Peep Show

I can't believe what i'm reading here... oh well some people will be eating crow at launch because all the previews for this game have been extremely positive, which wasn't the case for The Order 1886 for example.
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 20:49   #198
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
I can't believe what i'm reading here
It's normal when you lack common sense.

Because clearly, only a deluded person would be against the idea of being cautious and doubtful about game's quality and preorders. Uncharted 1-2-3 was surrounded by positivity and I despised every minute of the game. I pre-ordered Until Dawn and although I loved the game, I invested full-price in a game I haven't touched since my playthrough in August 2016. I don't want to repeat that again, positive press or not. I'd rather wait to see more and do a last-minute pre-order, or miss the pre-order completely if needed, than wasting my money on something I might regret (though to be fair, I don't personally think I will regret getting Horizon but you're never too cautious).

With games costing now around 100$ CAN, I believe I'm allowed to have these doubts, just like TheSassyKid is allowed to not like what is shown. There's nothing magical about having a different view and not jumping blindly on the hype train.

Last edited by Isaac; 11-01-17 at 21:28.
Old 11-01-17, 20:51   #199
Peep Show

Quote:
It's normal when you lack common sense.
Huh?
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:05   #200
Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
Huh?
You seem to have a hard time believing some people might not like the game or the idea of preordering right away, which some of your posts implied (especially the last one).

I might sound rude and sorry if I do, but only someone lacking judgement or common sense would genuinely not believe these different views, or the idea of not pre-ordering the game. I'm being rational here and cautious with my money. It's fine if you don't mind pre-ordering games you trust, but we're not all in the same boat when it comes to money and investment.