Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 16-05-18, 11:43   #11
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Lara met Eddington herself. Alister went to the British Museum, I’m just not sure why.
I think she went with Alister in the museum. She said:"Ring me when you get there ".
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 11:46   #12
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
You mean the sword and the hammer?

Maybe Avalon = Helheim? Natla sais that : "You've realized that I want to go to Avalon as much as you do... " meaning the gates to Helheim in the Artctic sea.

(I don't know much about Norse mythology, so pardon my ignorance).
I can't understand why the Midgard Seprent statue is in the same place with the dead souls? Is there any connection?
I mean the sword in Nepal, what disappears with Amelia, and the Excalibur.

The midgard serpent is a symbol of Ragnarok, wich brings death to the world, to be reborn anew. At least in TR's universe.
Yggdrasil/Hellheim/Avalon in TR's universe is placed at the weakest point of the ocean floor (called Jormungandr AKA the midgard serpent), where Pangea first broken in two: whoever build that place, buildt a mechanism (that's what whe destroyed) to bring the 7th age or Ragnarok. That was ideal for Natla, since she wanted to rule the world.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 11:51   #13
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
I mean the sword in Nepal, what disappears with Amelia, and the Excalibur.
Ah yes I had forgotten about Amelia's sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
The midgard serpent is a symbol of Ragnarok, wich brings death to the world, to be reborn anew. At least in TR's universe.
Yggdrasil/Hellheim/Avalon in TR's universe is placed at the weakest point of the ocean floor (called Jormungandr AKA the midgard serpent), where Pangea first broken in two: whoever build that place, buildt a mechanism (that's what whe destroyed) to bring the 7th age or Ragnarok. That was ideal for Natla, since she wanted to rule the world.
The 7th age is a world where a new breed of life could begin?
The game never explains...

I know what the midgard serpent is and how it works, I just don't understand why they decided to put it in Helheim/Avalon.
It only serves because it's located under the sea. Other than that,eh...

Last edited by CroftManiac05; 16-05-18 at 11:55.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 12:07   #14
Zsott

I took my time to write this...

The Midgard Serpent or Jormungandr is the son of Loki.People believed he keeps the world together, by biting its tail. When he releases his tail, Ragnarok will come. So the serpent will rise from the ocean and poison the sky. Then Thor will come -his arch enemy- and they are going to fight. In the end, Thor kills Jormungandr and he's going to take 9 steps and dies of the serpents venom.
Also, in many mythology, like here serpents acts as a guardian too. In this case, the norse people thought, that they believed, they live in the sky, and this serpent wrapped around the world. Those who deceased, going to the lower world: filled with the undead.
(ofc that is much more complex, but that is the basic info, what we need here...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post

I know what the midgard serpent is and how it works, I just don't understand why they decided to put it in Helheim/Avalon.
It only serves because it's located under the sea. Other than that,eh...
I think that place, is where he supposed to bite or release its tail...
-
Quote:
from Natla's view, yes.
In the original game (and i guess, this is where the idea of Natlas obsession coming from) she says, that the evolution is at "all time low" it needs a "kick in the pants"
In TRA she mentioned just before she gets prisoned : "Wheels of Kathar are already in motion"
Plus, she suggests, that it was her who set it in motion.
Also she says, that she can create anything she desires in that pyramid of Atlantis.

So I think Wheels of Kathar equivalent with Ragnarok, and the goal of Natla is the same. (but CD messed up with wanting a TR remake instead letting Core to do it, with what would have made much more sense.)

Last edited by Zsott; 16-05-18 at 12:26.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 18:55   #15
Grimaldi

This thread got me to do a bit of reading and I found this interesting post about the “Wheels of Kathar”. The jist of it is Kathar might be derived from the Greek word “Katharoi” meaning “pure ones” which in itself might be the origins of the name given to the Cathars, a gnostic and dualistic sect of Christianity.

Why is that relevant? Well, the Six Ages of the World is a Christian periodisation, with the Seventh Age being described as eternal rest after the Final Judgement and End of Times. It’s important to remember here that there are gods even above Natla, as she tells her fellow rulers: “the gods favour action, not council”.

Natla’s favoured method of bringing about the Seventh Age is fire (“everything must burn”, “all the world will be consumed by fire and ash”), and if we revisit the word Katharoi, it’s related to Katharsis, meaning “purification”. Fire is a symbol of purity across different cultures.

Reading further into Catharism, they believed in two gods, one of power (physical matter) and one of love (spirit). The former was evil and created the world we live in, while the latter created the heavens above. The Cathars goal was to reject the physical world and attain spiritual enlightenment.

Could it be possible that Natla, due to religious beliefs, sought to burn away the physical world in a purifying flame to bring forward an age of spiritual rest? Is that how she appealed to Amanda, a metaphysicist enamoured with mysticism, into researching the diases? Are the “Wheels of Kathar” just a religious expression, an omen of Atlantis’s inevitable collapse? Do I just have too much time on my hands?

I’m sorry if any of this was incorrect, I just learned most of this today.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-18, 21:02   #16
Zreen001

This was partially talked about in http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=204081 as well
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-18, 21:48   #17
Luka_Aveiro

Just finished playing this game and it feels rushed, too easy and it doesn't transmit what a tomb raider game should be, although as an entertaining platformer/adventure game is not that bad.

Thailand and Mexico were nice, rest is meh...

6/10, perhaps 5/10 if we consider the stupid camera and the destruction of Thor's Hammer at the end, I would have loved to have played all levels with it...

Played it only to finish the LAU trilogy, and I do agree that the story is like a swiss cheese, because of the many holes it has... When Legend had so much potential to a great story envolving ancient civilizations and portals etc etc... They should have just let core make Anniversary as non-canon to the new series and continue developing the real sequel to Legend...
Luka_Aveiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-18, 23:59   #18
Nigel Cassidy

^ It's crazy how many people these days think so while back in 2008 it seemed like I was the only one who thought that way: everybody else I guess was going through that honeymoon phase were the excitement for things new clouds peoples judgement.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 03:20   #19
WolfRaider

Finished a re-run with the PC version, and it was okay. I probably look at it a bit more fondly than before on PS3, but otherwise it still felt quite rushed. The movement was buggy enough times to be quite annoying, combat felt worse than ever, and the collectible system was just bleeeh.

Southern Mexico was definitely the game at it's peak. Love that whole big outside area that you drive your motocycle to different places, and the Midgard Serpent part of the section was pretty nice with the 4 puzzle rooms.

Coastal Thailand was also good and quite beautiful, but the rest of the levels were leaning to the mediocre side, with some good moments sprinkled here and there.

So now I have completed a re-run through LAU, and Anniversary still stands tall above the other two.

Last edited by WolfRaider; 22-05-18 at 03:22.
WolfRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-18, 12:29   #20
AlexyLC
Inactive

This might be off topic but it's something that has been bothering me for a long time...

Did anyone ever notice, in the Croft Manor level, when Lara enters the crypt with the rest and then goes down to the tomb that there is a sound of a man breathing heavily? It's quite odd since she's alone down there but I never found anything about it

Last edited by AlexyLC; 24-05-18 at 12:30.
AlexyLC is offline   Reply With Quote