Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 29-11-13, 09:51   #11
tiann

LOL, she seems like she's on crack! (guess she stole that off a Paris hobo)

yeah, just slow her down a little
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 09:59   #12
Peterstar101

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiann View Post
LOL, she seems like she's on crack! (guess she stole that off a Paris hobo)

yeah, just slow her down a little
That's why you don't eat chocolate bars from the sewers
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 12:11   #13
Caesum

Haven't you just fastened the whole game? It can be done also when turning off one option in TRAOD's settings, but it'll run then as fast as fast your GPU can. Lara will be still sluggish though. And there's a problem with sound AFAIK. It'd be far better if you could fastened Lara's controls only.

Now it makes me wonder if someone from Core still have that demo with fixed controls.

EDIT: Yup, just as I thought. You have fastened the whole game, not Lara's moves. Every cutscene has broken sound now.

Last edited by Caesum; 29-11-13 at 12:20.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 14:57   #14
sasho648

Yeah sorry men but you have failed. I just have a look at your modded executable and I saw what have you done . Look at this image:

You have modified the value in the red circle for reasons unknown for me. As you can see this value have nothing to do with some PAL or NTSC heavy checking - it is just an argument to a function further assigned to a variable named: "_gAnimPlayFPS", which name I thinks told us many about it's purpose. The things you were mistaken with is the above code which (I think) will set different FPS for PAL screens. Also this function is called all at once the game is launched so it can't slow-down the animations in any way.

So yes, basically you have just changed the FPS (Frames Per Second) for the animations. The control system is the same.

Quote:
I honestly have no clue why this one guy is attempting to decompile the game. You can do everything in assembly and code injection that you can do with original source code. It just takes more time. By the time he manages to 'decompile' the game, you could have all these fixes people wanted done, and more. I'm shocked core included the PDB files at all
As you can clearly see - no you don't. The thing is that when you've got the source code you can modify the game at really faster rates because you have a better view of what are you doing. Changing some random code in the game is not a look - you have to deal with addresses, segmentation, instructions and such hell things which will took you ages. And the changes you'll made would be limited. I can say many other thing why this is a hell road but I think you got my point.

Last edited by sasho648; 29-11-13 at 15:48.
sasho648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 15:41   #15
Aurimas
Inactive

I personally find it too fast. I also think that the only way we could have some really increadible changes is to decompile the game. Making the gameplay faster is not as professional way to solve this.

Last edited by Aurimas; 29-11-13 at 15:46.
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 15:42   #16
akci

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIKO View Post
when you press forward and she walks for a second and then she starts to run. That is so irritating! And sometimes it screws up her running jumps. If you could fix that too me and everyone else would be much much appreciated
Yes, second that!

One other thing I would like to see fixed if there is a chance, is reversed look up and down compared to the classics. Personally I found that bit the most annoying about the controls.
akci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 17:24   #17
click4dylan

Look, I only spent a couple hours and I never got so far as to test a cutscene for missing audio. As soon as I saw her running faster I freaked out. And yes, having original source code helps with creating things faster. But look at San Andreas Multiplayer. There is absolutely no source code released for that game. Everything was done in assembly and then rerouted to a custom DLL which feeds code to the game. My 007 Nightfire patch is done in yes, assembly. It took me years to add things to the game. I fixed tons and tons of crash exploits, added proper widescreen support, fixed bugs with the netcode causing people to lag out constantly, fixed problems with the FPS decaying over time, fixed countless memory leaks, added iron sights and in-game map downloading support, added raw mouse input and removed mouse acceleration, added the ability to have much larger maps, completely rewrote countless functions entirely in assembly that were written very poorly by Gearbox & Valve, removed the frame rate cap and fixed problems with the code that relied on that frame rate cap, completely rewrote its entire elapsed time calculations.

So yes, 90% of things can be done in assembly. But if you look at that code again, it's checking to see if the screen is PAL or not. If it's PAL it sets the animation frame rate target to 50. Which makes it faster. I set it even more to 40 to try to match it to classic tomb raider speed.

The reason the controls are so slow are because Core decided to code the speed based on the animations themself. You cannot jump while running until she finishes the 'running' animation. I have seen the code myself. You cannot run until she finishes the 'walk' animation.

There are two ways to fix this: Change the animations themself (you don't want to do that, it would no longer be like Core designed), or change the speed at which the animations play.

Now, I can probably rewrite a check to make that speed only apply to lara, and not the whole game as a whole. Will try working on that as well.

But don't criticise what I did because I just started working on this yesterday and was surprised no one had even found this out yet
click4dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 19:00   #18
sasho648

Quote:
Look, I only spent a couple hours and I never got so far as to test a cutscene for missing audio. As soon as I saw her running faster I freaked out. And yes, having original source code helps with creating things faster. But look at San Andreas Multiplayer. There is absolutely no source code released for that game. Everything was done in assembly and then rerouted to a custom DLL which feeds code to the game. My 007 Nightfire patch is done in yes, assembly. It took me years to add things to the game. I fixed tons and tons of crash exploits, added proper widescreen support, fixed bugs with the netcode causing people to lag out constantly, fixed problems with the FPS decaying over time, fixed countless memory leaks, added iron sights and in-game map downloading support, added raw mouse input and removed mouse acceleration, added the ability to have much larger maps, completely rewrote countless functions entirely in assembly that were written very poorly by Gearbox & Valve, removed the frame rate cap and fixed problems with the code that relied on that frame rate cap, completely rewrote its entire elapsed time calculations.
Yeah I agree. But I also wanted to do it because it's kind of a challenge (and I learned a lot new things from it) and also because then I would be able to document the code and make it open-source, so future changes can be made that easy too.

Quote:
So yes, 90% of things can be done in assembly. But if you look at that code again, it's checking to see if the screen is PAL or not. If it's PAL it sets the animation frame rate target to 50. Which makes it faster. I set it even more to 40 to try to match it to classic tomb raider speed.

The reason the controls are so slow are because Core decided to code the speed based on the animations themself. You cannot jump while running until she finishes the 'running' animation. I have seen the code myself. You cannot run until she finishes the 'walk' animation.

There are two ways to fix this: Change the animations themself (you don't want to do that, it would no longer be like Core designed), or change the speed at which the animations play.

Now, I can probably rewrite a check to make that speed only apply to lara, and not the whole game as a whole. Will try working on that as well.
I don't think the animation speed is the problem but instead the slow response of the controls. No matter how much the FPS animation speed is Lara still looks ridiculous.
sasho648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 19:13   #19
ajrich17901

Seeing her run this fast made me love the normal control speed even more xD
ajrich17901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-13, 20:07   #20
Peterstar101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho648 View Post
I don't think the animation speed is the problem but instead the slow response of the controls. No matter how much the FPS animation speed is Lara still looks ridiculous.
There is a short delay in control's, once you push forward it takes a second and then moves you forward.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote