Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Old 17-01-17, 23:32   #1
AODfan

Default Project: Fix Lara

About

The Level Editor was Core Design's greatest gift to the community. Unfortunately we're forced to use the TR4 engine with it. While it does have great features like the hub system and a smooth looking Lara thanks to the joint system, the game itself was a bit rushed to meet the release date.
This left us with quite a few bugs in the game. Some of them have already been fixed in TRNG but a lot of them still remain in Lara's animations. Have you ever noticed how Lara can't grab anything anymore after picking up an item from a pedestal? Or how Lara moves forward a bit when she gets off a vertical pole?
This project aims to fix these bugs and make the fixes available in easy to use files that can be applied to any project.
If you find any bugs that have not been fixed yet, feel free to post or even fix it yourself so I can add it to the pack.

Bugs fixed

Sound Effects:

- Deleted unused sounds (33, 53, 54, 114)
- Added missing sound effects to the run->sprint transitions (224, 225)
- Added footstep sounds to the push and pull animations (122, 123)
- Added missing sounds to the Poseidon Statue puzzle (423)
- Changed the sounds while climbing around corners from the normal footstep sounds to the wall climbing sounds (363, 367, 369)
- Added sound effects to the climbing around corners on the right side animation (365)
- Added sound effects to the Scorpion and Seth death animations (442, 443)
- Added missing water sound effects to crawl animations (217, 219, 221, 260, 261, 269, 270, 273, 274, 275, 276, 289, 301)
- Added missing sound effects to hang->crawlspace animation (287)
- Added missing sound effects to ladder->crawlspace animation (445)
- Added a-ha sound effect to pickup animations (135, 291, 292, 424, 425)
- Added a-ha sound effect (sounds.txt)
- Fixed special footstep sound effects sometimes not playing (sounds.txt)

Missing Set Free Hands command:

- Picking up items from pedestals no longer disables the action button (424, 425)
- Using the sequence switches (Underneath the Sphinx) no longer disables the action button (316)
- Getting off vertical poles no longer disables the action button (327, 330, 342)
- Prying objects off walls with the crowbar no longer disables the action button (419)
- Using crowbar switches no longer disables the action button (420)

Missing Set Position effect:

- Lara no longer teleports forward when getting off vertical poles (342)
- Lara now keeps her position instead of teleporting back to the center of the square after using the Poseidon statue (423)

Additional Items:

- After opening doors with the crowbar Lara now puts the crowbar away at the correct frame (403)
- Lara now puts away her crowbar at the correct frame after using a crowbar switch (420)
- Lara now puts away her Grenade Gun at the correct frame (Script)
- Added Shotgun idle reload animation (Shotgun 002, Shotgun 005)
- Fixed Torch throw away animation (Torch 001)

Enabled Animations:

- Enabled slide to run animation (Script)
- Enabled crawlspace jump (FLEP)
- Enabled crawlspace pickup (FLEP)
- Enabled ladder->crawlspace animation (445, script)
- Enabled crawlspace roll (Script)

Incorrectly rotated body parts:

- Fixed Lara's arm in crawlspace roll animation (218, 220)
- Lara's hand is now correctly rotated while climbing on poles (326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346)

Graphical Bugs:

- Fixed water fog bug (Script)
- Fixed inventory background (Script)
- Black steam emitter is now actually black (FLEP)
- Explosions now create black instead of white smoke (FLEP)

Miscellaneous:

- Lara can no longer turn while using the big push switch (Script)
- Disabled ledge climb delay (FLEP)
- Disabled dive delay (FLEP)
- Changed bullet hit sound effect from Underwater_Door to Lara_Injury (FLEP)
- Fixed Binoculars animation State-ID (441)
- Added missing frames to animation (313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318, 321, 322, 323, 324, 339, 340, 342, 349, 352, 353, 354, 355, 357, 359, 361, 363, 365, 367, 369, 371, 373, 379, 385, 386, 401, 406, 407, 415, 416, 419, 420, 424, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 439)
- Turning on poles is smoother now (332, 333)
- Fixed incorrect ending position for push and pull animations (417, 418)

To-do List:

- Fix tightrope animations (the speed value is too slow, Lara looks like she's sliding over the rope)
- Rotate Lara's hand in the door opening animation (push animation, it's correct in the pull animation)
- Rotate Lara's hand in the vertical pole animations
- Fix Pistols, Uzi, Revolver draw animation (the position of Lara's guns changed in TR4 so she now grabs them out of thin air instead of her holsters)
- Move Lara so she no longer slides into doors when opening them with the crowbar
- Rotate Lara's arms in all hanging/shimmying animations so her shoulders are no longer flat (check the hanging to falling transition animation)
- Add wading sounds to the shimmy and climbing animations
- Add footstep and water sound effects to the drag-bloke animation
- Add missing sound effects to animation 24, 31, and 42
- Move Lara's hands out of the wall in the ledge grab animation
- Move Lara's hands closer to the wall in the shimmy animations
- Rotate Lara's hands in the jumpswitch animation
- Move Lara up a little in the ladder->crawlspace animation (her legs are inside the floor until the animation ends)
- Add wading/wet feet sounds in stepping turns (anims 12 and 13)
- Add wading sound when starting a step back in waistdeep water (40)
- Add wading/wet feet sounds in stepping backwards. (41)
- Add wading sound in "start wading" animation (186)
- Add wading sound in "stop wading" animation (184)
- Add missing frames to jump switch and roll out of crawlspace animation
- Fix the end of the push and pull animations (starting pose is different from the push and pull animations)

Notes

- Most of the fixes are compatible with the original TRLE and TREP but some of the bug fixes use TRNG's scripting feature and existing FLEP patches.
- If you want to use custom animations, you should first apply the bug fixes and then copy over your custom animations. If you copy over the LARA object from the pack, all of Lara's animations will be reset!
- If you're already using custom animations, you can look up the animation number next to the each fixed bug and simply copy the individual animations over to your WAD.

Download latest release (2017-09-09)

Older versions:
2017-01-27
2017-01-19
2017-01-18

Last edited by AODfan; 09-09-17 at 17:48.
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-17, 23:55   #2
Raider99

Ooh, that's a big list, you have a good eye to notice all of this!
Good job, I'm sure many will find it useful.
Raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 00:19   #3
disapearing-boy

This is very impressive. Lot's of little fixes in one place.

I've recently been considering adding move up/down one click animations to enemies using scripting - they just 'teleport' up a block which is really noticeable with some enemies.

Universal improvements that everyone can use are always welcome.

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 18-01-17 at 00:20.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 00:51   #4
Junshin

I appreciate the efforts to try and fix the current bugs related with Lara! Anyway, I would add one more fix:
  • I don't know if you (and anyone) noticed, but the footstep effect (wood, marble, grable, etc) is not at the same frame of the normal footstep effect. Also the volume should be higher and with no alternating pitch. Compare these effects between Tomb Raider III/Chronicles with Tomb Raider Level Editor/IV and you'll know what I mean. For some reason, when playing custom levels, this "bug" tends to annoy me
Junshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 07:19   #5
TR-Freak
Unverified

I have another one:

When opening a Door with the Crowbar, Lara slides into the door, this is the most visible when she pushes the door open with ther hands.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 11:43   #6
Alex Fly
Inactive

Sounds great and useful. Well done !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 11:59   #7
Boobandie

Great idea. Another is to fix Lara's hands with pushdoor. It's other where it's backwards.

Also rotate her arms in all hanging/shimmying animations so her shoulders are fixed like in the transition from hanging to falling animation.

Last edited by Boobandie; 18-01-17 at 12:00.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 13:47   #8
AODfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider99 View Post
Ooh, that's a big list, you have a good eye to notice all of this!
Good job, I'm sure many will find it useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Sounds great and useful. Well done !
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
This is very impressive. Lot's of little fixes in one place.

I've recently been considering adding move up/down one click animations to enemies using scripting - they just 'teleport' up a block which is really noticeable with some enemies.

Universal improvements that everyone can use are always welcome.
Thanks!
Enemies going up or down one click is quite noticeable but adding 4 new animations to each enemy and scripting the whole thing sounds like a lot of work
Did try scripting it yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junshin View Post
I appreciate the efforts to try and fix the current bugs related with Lara! Anyway, I would add one more fix:
  • I don't know if you (and anyone) noticed, but the footstep effect (wood, marble, grable, etc) is not at the same frame of the normal footstep effect. Also the volume should be higher and with no alternating pitch. Compare these effects between Tomb Raider III/Chronicles with Tomb Raider Level Editor/IV and you'll know what I mean. For some reason, when playing custom levels, this "bug" tends to annoy me
I think the sound effects are set to different frames because the game would only recognise one of them but I might be wrong. The sound effects not playing all the time is an easy fix but it requires editing the sounds.txt file. Not a lot of people know how to use it so I'm not sure if I should include it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
I have another one:

When opening a Door with the Crowbar, Lara slides into the door, this is the most visible when she pushes the door open with ther hands.
That's a good one! I'm not sure if this will be easy to fix but I'll add it to the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Great idea. Another is to fix Lara's hands with pushdoor. It's other where it's backwards.

Also rotate her arms in all hanging/shimmying animations so her shoulders are fixed like in the transition from hanging to falling animation.
Oops, you're right.
That one has been bothering me for ages. Do you know which way you have to rotate her arms to fix it?
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 14:43   #9
Gancian

I'm not really active in the community anymore but I needed to step in in this wonderful project and put my two cents in it, because this project sounds awesome.
Two of the fixes that I always wanted to make to the original Lara object are:

- Fix Lara's shoulders while she hangs. This have been bugging me since 1999. It's supposedly an easy task as Titak described the process here. (maybe Titak could step in and add more info?)

- Fix Lara's footsteps sounds. There is supposedly a kinda quick fix to that too, I read it somewhere here on these forums but I was not able to find it again. Basically in TR1, to make you hear Lara's steps, core design programmers added the command "Play Sound ID 0 (LARA_FEET) on Land \ Play Sound ID 17 (LARA_WET_FEET) in Water" in each relevant frame of Lara's moving animation. From Tr3 onwards they ADDED the Play Effect "Play step sound on land\water" on the same frames - which has the added value of checking the condition of the floor (snow\grass\sand\whatever) and play the relevant sound instead of Lara's generic footstep. They lazily FORGOT to remove the original "Play Sound ID X" though. That is why you STILL hear Lara's generic footstep even if you customize the texture sound. I tried to remove them all once, but it was a very long process and since I wasn't actually making any level at that moment, it was useless and I kinda got bored and gave up along the way...
Gancian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 15:37   #10
Titak

Thank you very much for this fixed Lara!

I can't use it myself since my LARA object is very heavily edited, but I'm going through the list to see where I can fix the bugs myself, if I haven't done so already.

Something I've fixed in my own Lara as well are:
  • Added the wading sounds when she is crawling in water.
    Same goes for kneeling down (also simply the wade sound) and getting back up (same sound as when she climbs out of the water) when in water.
  • Added wading sounds to Lara's shimmey animations and climbing animations.
  • Added wading/splash sounds to the drag-bloke animation.
    I came across this one when I had placed a drag-bloke in one-click deep water.
  • Added footsteps effects to the drag-bloke animation.

Another thing I've done is add the swimming sound to her "treading water" animation.
But I used that sound in another slot and assigned a lower volume value to it so it wouldn't sound as loud as when she is swimming on the surface.

I've done many more sound customisations, but other than the ones mentioned above, that's exactly what it is: customisations. Not fixed bugs using already present sounds.

As for the rotating of Lara's hand in her vertical pole animations:
I just checked my old MoA part 1 LARA object to see if I had fixed the bug in that Lara (because I did notice the bug back then), but it turns out I hadn't bothered fixing it in the end.

@ Gancian:
I have not changed all my shimmey animations. I got discouraged when I noticed I had a lot of animations to fix when rotating her arms to fix that shoulder distortion.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote