Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 24-07-17, 00:58   #61
sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
So WADViewer can only export for Lara? I've tried to export several other objects. When importing them in 3DS Max, it either crashes, or gives an error message "dummy000" and the title of the error is "Can't find any object" (translated from French), followed by another message saying "Incorrect file format".

By the way, the textures are wrong when the object is exported from WADViewer. I mean, by default, the object has no textures in 3DS Max, but if you drag-and-drop the TGA file exported with the 3DS file onto each mesh of the object, it adds the correct textures. But when it's done from WADViewer, part of the textures are just wrong.
When TRViewer/WADViewer exports to 3DS you must not have any dummy meshes. For TRViewer remember you had to export Lara Skin to trmvb and then import the trmvb over the Lara object.

For WADViewer I had to disable trmvb export so you have to make sure "Show real meshes" is checked so no dummy meshes visible in 3D viewer.

If you had no dummy meshes visible then you have found a bug and I would need your object to test.

Sorry not sure what you mean about the texture error. If the TGA is bigger than 256 x 256 maybe there are some errors that can be fixed in 3DS.

Last edited by sapper; 24-07-17 at 01:17.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-17, 09:11   #62
SrDanielPonces

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
When TRViewer/WADViewer exports to 3DS you must not have any dummy meshes. For TRViewer remember you had to export Lara Skin to trmvb and then import the trmvb over the Lara object.

what happens if you dont do so? it works fine for me
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-17, 15:09   #63
Joey79100

Normally it shouldn't import in 3DS Max. If it does, then it's probably that your LARA already has real meshes.
By the way, do I remember correctly if I say that the textures were not applied correctly when dragging-and-dropping the TGA file onto LARA meshes? If it's the case, then it's possible that it's because you don't import LARA_SKIN meshes into LARA before exporting your animations.

Quote:

For WADViewer I had to disable trmvb export so you have to make sure "Show real meshes" is checked so no dummy meshes visible in 3D viewer.

If you had no dummy meshes visible then you have found a bug and I would need your object to test.

Sorry not sure what you mean about the texture error. If the TGA is bigger than 256 x 256 maybe there are some errors that can be fixed in 3DS.
You can test with this WAD for example. I initially tried to export Animation 4 of Animating 2 (the smoking woman) and it happened. I tried with the other objects/animations and the same bug appeared each time. I can't replicated the bug with objects from original WADs though, so maybe there's something wrong in this WAD specifically.

About the textures, here's what I meant:
When exporting from TRViewer/WADViewer, there's a .3DS file and a .TGA file.
When you import the .3DS file into 3DS Max, the object will be completely untextured. However, you can drag the .TGA file and drop it onto each mesh of the object in 3DS Max to apply the textures, this way your object will be textured in 3DS Max.
When doing this after exporting from TRViewer, it works correctly. But when the .3DS is exported from WADViewer, a big part of the faces will be textured incorrectly after dropping the file onto the meshes.
BUT: I have to correct what I said. It actually doesn't happen in normal situations. But in my WAD, my LARA object has real meshes (the same as LARA_SKIN). And when I export from WADViewer, and import the textures in 3DS Max, it's all screwed up, like this:

Now, I remember it does exactly the same when I export the same LARA from TRViewer without importing LARA_SKIN onto it beforehand.
So actually it's not a problem from WADViewer, which probably just leaves the existing meshes that already had difficulties to be exported in TRViewer.

----------------------------------

EDIT: Also, just curious, do you have any plan for correcting the texture issues that happen when exporting?

Last edited by Joey79100; 24-07-17 at 16:25.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 01:59   #64
sapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
You can test with this WAD for example. I initially tried to export Animation 4 of Animating 2 (the smoking woman) and it happened. I tried with the other objects/animations and the same bug appeared each time. I can't replicated the bug with objects from original WADs though, so maybe there's something wrong in this WAD specifically.
WADViewer thinks the first mesh is a dummy mesh for some reason. I will investigate further.

EDIT: OK for now you have to make sure there is another moveable in the wad before the animatings, Lara_skin perhaps, or use only a complete wad, since the first mesh in the wad is assumed by WADViewer/TRViewer to indicate a dummy mesh.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, just curious, do you have any plan for correcting the texture issues that happen when exporting?
No. The way TRViewer handles textures is very complex so it will take a lot of investigation.

Last edited by sapper; 25-07-17 at 06:06.
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 14:27   #65
Joey79100

Quote:
WADViewer thinks the first mesh is a dummy mesh for some reason. I will investigate further.

EDIT: OK for now you have to make sure there is another moveable in the wad before the animatings, Lara_skin perhaps, or use only a complete wad, since the first mesh in the wad is assumed by WADViewer/TRViewer to indicate a dummy mesh.
Thank you for the workaround! That's already much better than having to put the objects into a level so I'm good with that.

Quote:
No. The way TRViewer handles textures is very complex so it will take a lot of investigation.
No problem. I was imagining it was simply a problem of offsetting the coordinates of each textures, because I remember reading that VB6 programs have arrays starting at 1 instead of 0 (which can be seen in the Animation list for example), so I thought it was related, that the algorithm was made for arrays starting at 0 and it had not been corrected.
Old 25-07-17, 19:08   #66
Dustie

I almost forgot about this, but what about the Chronicles screenshot I posted a few pages back which does seem to have that issue too (quite visible with the lips textures), even though it's an in-game screenshot?

Maybe that's actually caused by the GPU or possibly DirectX version?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 21:21   #67
Joey79100

Don't know. It looks fine when you load her in WADMerger.

It even seems to do that with TR4, but I haven't been able to find a spot to see her close enough yet with my savegames.
It doesn't do that with TRNG, gonna check in basic TRLE soon (EDIT: well, it won't run).

Last edited by Joey79100; 25-07-17 at 21:58.
Old 25-07-17, 22:48   #68
Dustie

Yeah, it might be difficult to find a good spot to take a closer look... I will try next time I have a chance. There's nothing we can do about it anyway, I guess. I noticed that this sort of "edge bleed" issue is caused by bilinear filtering and since that is done by GPUs I guess it might be some sort of hardware or driver thing...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 07:12   #69
jmq1982

(win 10)

Hi, chinese win10(x64), some textbox and button can't display correctly, but chinese win7(x64), it has no problem.
jmq1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 13:52   #70
Caesum

I think I found a bug in WADViewer. I am trying to export a DOG enemy to 3ds max so I can animate it, but for some reason WADViewer doesn't see mesh0 of that object. It always thinks it is a dummy mesh. This makes it impossible to open the .3ds inside 3ds max, since the mesh0 (which is the primary mesh) does not exist.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote