Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 10-09-17, 08:34   #21
Caesum

I really don't know why Chronicles is so hated by the community. Personally I think it perfected the balance between demanding gameplay and casual fun. Levels are not too big, yet varied and each one of them has unique puzzles and ideas. It is also the only game after TR4 which really went back to the roots. I find it more similar to TR1 than any other game in the series. It has four distinct locations, Lara's tasks are clear and the game simply puts into into action straight away. After TRAOD I think TR5 is still my favourite.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 12:25   #22
fallenangle

I don't think there's any hate here for TRC, it is just demonstrably the least original and shortest game of the Core PS TRs. That makes it the worst game of the series but that doesn't mean we think it is a bad game. It is not.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-17, 22:29   #23
peeves

Chronicles is pretty decent and it's ok the same with TR3 I did enjoy some things about chronicles such as The russia, Ireland, and VCI parts apart from the shooter parts and also rome was good as well. I mean I prefer TR1, 2, 4, and AOD over those games. But thanks to the really unique sections of 3 and chronicles they're not as terrible as they seem.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 05:43   #24
Avalon SARL

I like to ask one thing.

I keep reading always that VCI levels are buggy.

There is only one bug at the very end when killing the first cyborg as far as i can remember... loading a game while you are in the water kills Lara even if the electricity switch is tuned off; so saying VCI levels are BUGGY is not exactly correct and fair to say.

VCI levels are the most challenging levels in the whole TR franchise
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 14:07   #25
fallenangle

You obviously haven't experienced the range of problems that last area can produce if you save in the first cyborg room.

Then there's the lounge area glitches, again if you save in the 'wrong' place there are all manner of glitches that can result. Inexplicably when I first played the game using the PAL PS version I didn't have any serious ones. It was when I played the DC version that I encountered many of those reported and a few others - like the helicopter corridor remaining alight after the explosions and with no pits. But when Lara tried to run across where the first one should be she fell through the floor into a bottomless drop.

With the PC version the first cyborg room glitches certainly appear when you save in that room and reload but I hadn't the inclination to experiment any further so if its as badly glitched as the others I have no idea.

There's also trouble with the AI even if it is not counted as a glitch. For instance the second cyborg can get permanently stuck in one of the pits. At other times he simply won't follow Lara down the corridor whatever you do so you can not complete the next section.

I've also had issues with the elevator you take to enter that general final area of the game. After Lara rolls off some crates and takes out the guard below she should be able to enter the nearby elevator. Several times I've had the elevator door refuse to open and once when it did it and the elevator worked when the door open she stepped in and just crumpled and died. I also had that happen when the door opened on the floor she was going to.

Easily the most glitched area of any TR I can think of.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 17:59   #26
Blackmoor

OMg, what about that area where you have to shoot the moving targets? With the d-pad control. I still feel scarred by that ordeal.

And then the helicopter.

Can't say Core didn't try things. But........oh my lord what a tough section VCI area is.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 18:33   #27
ESCachuli

Well, I love the VCI area, I can say the only bug I had was the secret target room not opening, but thats minor.

Overall it feels fresh and extremely badass.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-17, 09:21   #28
Dustie

All this talk about VCI, even the bugs, is really making me want to play it again... and that's doing my head in, because I have a life and job I need to do, lol
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-17, 07:34   #29
SLAYER

^Same here I wish I still had unlimited free time. So many titles to revisit.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-17, 15:00   #30
Dustie

^ Oh, tell me about it! I have like, the whole late 90s of gaming I want to replay one day!
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote