Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 04-01-18, 01:09   #1
HD Simplicityy

Default Progress on my fanfiction.

I haven't posted about this in quite some time. But just today I'm at 20,600+ words, 42 and a half pages for my post-Rise of the Tomb Raider story : Lara Croft and the Shards of the Risen. I crossed the 20,000 word mark before the end of 2017. That's the first time in my life I've ever broken that mark, given I've been writing fiction now for a little over two years. I work on this project only on vacations, where more time permits me to contemplate ideas and incubate them, then write. I started it on February 15th, 2016.

Conversely, I've had challenges to consider as well. How much time to give other main characters outside Lara, for instance. How much time for Jonah, Samantha and Sophia, as they play roles. Real life locations for the narrative to go, the villain and how he develops, and how character development works in my own way while respecting what little I know about Lara's past. What plot scenarios are interesting and keep reader's attention versus what do I want to write that interests me. Its tough stuff. I love doing it anyway!

Any advice or ideas to keep in mind?
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 02:28   #2
egypt_gypsie

It's your story. Don't worry about doing what the reader is interested in. This isn't something you need to market or cater to the masses, this is your story.

Second, in my stories, (I write Pirates of the Caribbean fanfic), I give a character a POV moment, or their own part of the chapter if I find that their POV adds something to the story. It is also important to remember that you need to choose ways to develop side characters that make sense, instead of developing them just to do it.

Don't be afraid to take risks as far as POV. Write a scene from a different perspective than you originally planned. You may learn something about the character that you didn't previously know.

And as far as the villain, remember that he/she needs to remain grounded, human, instead of becoming a caricature. That is really the only rule. I would say that a good villian to look at is Wilson Fisk from DareDevil, or even Frank Castle (The Punisher). You need to make the audience believe that it makes sense for the VILLIAN to believe that he is the good guy.

Hope that helps!
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 03:19   #3
HD Simplicityy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
It's your story. Don't worry about doing what the reader is interested in. This isn't something you need to market or cater to the masses, this is your story.

Second, in my stories, (I write Pirates of the Caribbean fanfic), I give a character a POV moment, or their own part of the chapter if I find that their POV adds something to the story. It is also important to remember that you need to choose ways to develop side characters that make sense, instead of developing them just to do it.

Don't be afraid to take risks as far as POV. Write a scene from a different perspective than you originally planned. You may learn something about the character that you didn't previously know.

And as far as the villain, remember that he/she needs to remain grounded, human, instead of becoming a caricature. That is really the only rule. I would say that a good villian to look at is Wilson Fisk from DareDevil, or even Frank Castle (The Punisher). You need to make the audience believe that it makes sense for the VILLIAN to believe that he is the good guy.

Hope that helps!
Good ideas. Appreciated!
Old 14-01-18, 14:13   #4
biscuits

I'm not much of a writer but one piece of advice is to have your ending set in stone.
Are we allowed to read it after you're done?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-18, 23:49   #5
HD Simplicityy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I'm not much of a writer but one piece of advice is to have your ending set in stone.
Are we allowed to read it after you're done?
I'd say yes right now, but that's years in the future haha, so I don't know exactly. I'm taking my time to develop this while at university and finishing my degree. Its also parallel to my journey in learning to write fiction in general. I wasn't doing that before late fall 2016. And the other ambitious story I'm chipping away at - my first game story - is the same way.

I've had the ending, or a big finale so to speak, thought of not long after I came up with the story itself. That should stay relatively the same when I reach that point, minus polish and tying up story threads. But the actual ending after that falling action? Not sure yet.