Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 12-02-18, 15:13   #21
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Played this when it first came out and just beat it on PS4. This game will always be a masterpiece - truly one of the greatest games ever made.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 21:29   #22
moodydog

So this is supposed to be remake, not a remaster. I'd disagree, this is definitely a remaster, and this is exactly what a remaster should be. It's set the benchmark remarkably high, and now previous remasters/ "HD" versions look like shoddy cash cows by comparison.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 07:49   #23
domino92

^ How is this a remaster per se? It's in a completely new engine with 100% new assets. I'd say that qualifies it as a remake.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 08:44   #24
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
^ How is this a remaster per se? It's in a completely new engine with 100% new assets. I'd say that qualifies it as a remake.
I am only going off of what I believe those terms mean to me, it's completely user defined.

Because, and I believe I read somewhere, they started with the original as the base for this game, and worked on-top with the new engine, new rendering, new assets etc. But the fundamental game hasn't changed at all, just enhanced. It feels very much like the original. But don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to call this a remaster too, as it generally sets the benchmark for what a remaster should be, or else a remaster feels like a "what's the least amount of work we can do to put this on a new system and charge people for" with a lot of other titles.

I define a remake like TRA, an old game completely remade.

Last edited by moodydog; 18-02-18 at 08:46.
Old 18-02-18, 12:14   #25
Dennis's Mom

This is completely remade. Ground up new programming. They did add a couple of new things, but the goal was to remake the game faithfully.

Last edited by Dennis's Mom; 18-02-18 at 12:17.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 14:20   #26
moodydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
This is completely remade. Ground up new programming. They did add a couple of new things, but the goal was to remake the game faithfully.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've had heard the words "Core code under the hood" uttered about this game. I think it was said in a video/ demo. I don't think it's completely remade, I think they most have also imported the original game into a new engine (landmass/ geometry/ world space etc), and then build on-top of it. I'd still prefer to think of this as a remaster... (or completely remastered). But maybe tbh, it's not so important. I just wish that this was the baseline for other re-releases of games.
It's really because I get so bored when I hear a game being remastered, it's like I'm going to expect the exact same game I heard about before, just a little sharper. Maybe a nice new interface.
But I can see how it's a remake too. To me, a remake is when something is made from nothing. - I guess that's more of a re-imagining.

I'm interested to see how the dark souls remaster looks, but I'm expecting it to look identical to the original, with probably a few sharper textures here and there.
Old 21-02-18, 14:06   #27
Dennis's Mom

So, is anyone hunting for the englightenments? There's 79 of them, and it's a HUGE world, but damn, I've been scrambling on everything I can only to be sorely disappointed there's nothing up there. I've only found 26.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote