www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 21-03-17, 09:46   #31
Hazelphoenix
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
No one can deny Andy's genius mind (as he's the one behind many Classic TR masterpieces) , but even a genius mind can go off the rails , falling in the trap of trying to be "creatively insane" , "edgy" , "exotic" etc and ending up being insultingly bad , needlessly annoying and anti-fun , that's one big difference between Floating Islands (for instance) and Lud's gate .

So yeah , I still stand by what I say that Lud's gate is the worst level I've ever played in a video game and a dark point in Andy's otherwise remarkable history .
Tbh at the risk of getting scolded again... I'd pick Lud's gate over Floating islands any time but even in this case, I recognize the "genius" in a level like that honestly. Heather tried to do something quite different and she reached her goal.

I understand Lud's Gate is not for everyone (I really do) hence the comparison with Picasso: many people dislike it because it's definitely not something bound to be enjoyable for everyone, and that's fine this way.

Frankly, I've always kind of assumed that Andy aimed at creating such a messed up environment to toy with us players a little bit, like he did it on purpose. We all know he's perfectly capable of designing levels that make perfect sense so I think this was a sort of experiment. CORE always wanted to test us

EDIT: @wearemany ikr? If people were to ask me what I find so appealing of this level my answer would probably be "I don't really know", it's just addictive in a strange way.

Also your signature just about says it all

Last edited by Hazelphoenix; 21-03-17 at 09:57. Reason: Added a reply
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 10:16   #32
XxwildxX
Hobbyist

Madubu gorge and lud's gate are the best in my opinion i dont know lmao

Anyway coastal village and ALL the Nevada levels are perfect too
London too
India sucks - no offense
Old 21-03-17, 14:35   #33
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I'm not sure 'genius' is the right word for TR3 level design . All so illogical and dare I say it... Badly designed at some points?

Nevada is by far the best section, though. Love it.
Old 22-03-17, 13:16   #34
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

The quicksand part after the key with the spiked wall in temple ruins is quite easy to do.
Old 28-03-17, 21:54   #35
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
All levels are.
Basically!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelphoenix View Post
I understand Lud's Gate is not for everyone (I really do) hence the comparison with Picasso: many people dislike it because it's definitely not something bound to be enjoyable for everyone, and that's fine this way.
Excellently put. To me, Lud's Gate is a pretty accurate representation of how our fandom operates. A single level that cannot be appreciated by everyone. It establishes a set of standards that some are completely repelled by to the point of abhorring the level and everything related to it, but at the same time, it contains a certain appeal that brings people together until reaching a common feeling of satisfaction.

I consider myself part of the latter group. It's no my favourite TRIII level, but I do consider it a brilliant piece of craft.

---

To answer the OP's question... I have a really soft spot when it comes to discussing this game, especially the India section. Jungle, Temple Ruins and River Ganges (probably my absolute favourite level) are genuinely fantastic and bizarrely fabulous. In fact, I think all the section starters are more or less perfect levels, taking into account their function and aim.

But broadly speaking: River Ganges, Nevada Desert, Lost City of Tinnos, Aldwych, Temple Ruins, Coastal Village and Jungle are some of the best I've had the pleasure to witness.
Old 28-03-17, 23:43   #36
Anakzunamuhn
Hobbyist

I love how Jungle lead you to this huge turn just to finish almost in the beginning. I think that's genius.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51   #37
XxwildxX
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakzunamuhn View Post
i love how jungle lead you to this huge turn just to finish almost in the beginning. I think that's genius.
yes !