Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 31-01-17, 23:41   #21
Dustie

^ Oh that's the continuity error that's been discussed on many occasions. VCI is before TR3 because the Iris is already in Lara's house by then, but somehow Von Croy is older and weaker than he is in TR4. Just one of Core's mishaps.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 02:56   #22
Zreen001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
^ Oh that's the continuity error that's been discussed on many occasions. VCI is before TR3 because the Iris is already in Lara's house by then, but somehow Von Croy is older and weaker than he is in TR4. Just one of Core's mishaps.
Weaker and older?
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 11:00   #23
wearemany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Weaker and older?
He seems to be weaker because he's in a wheelchair in TRC.
wearemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 15:04   #24
SunDormant

He's not exactly weaker. He's just recovering from the incident in Cambodia (remember that his leg got trapped in that sphere containing the iris). Then he got better and started using a staff. At least, that's what I always thought.

Now, the older part... I think he still looked the same as his TR4 in-game model. Maybe he was a little balder compared to the FMV model.
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 19:16   #25
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Just because we don't see it till TR3 doesn't mean it wasn't there though; it could just be that it was somwhere else, such as her massive treasure trove in the basement in TR2, and brought out for TR3 when she updated the trophy room. Afterall, she has the scion by that time but we don't see it again till TR3 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
He's not exactly weaker. He's just recovering from the incident in Cambodia (remember that his leg got trapped in that sphere containing the iris). Then he got better and started using a staff. At least, that's what I always thought.

Now, the older part... I think he still looked the same as his TR4 in-game model. Maybe he was a little balder compared to the FMV model.
This is the part that doesn't make sense though; if the VCi section really is between TR2 and 3 are we to believe he spent 10+ years in a chair but got well enough in the space of a year (or a little more/less). IT doesn't fit to me. I know it is probably more plausible to attach it to Core's hap hazard writing by that time but I think how I explained it earlier makes the entire situation much more plausible in the whole universe canon.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 19:24   #26
SunDormant

^ I never really considered the year difference, to be honest. Good catch! The only thing I can think of for such a big gap is Werner being in a coma or something xD
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 19:45   #27
ESCachuli

Well, the wheelchair could be for something else. Maybe he fell and then recovered. Who knows. It would have been better if the one in the wheelchair was the other guy instead of Von Croy but anyway...
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 23:42   #28
JoelCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
This takes a lot of assuming, as do most things in Chronicles due to lack of expansion, but it can make sense if thought of this way. If that segment of the game is actually set between TR2 and 3 like is thought why did it take her so long to try to steal it back? Why is Werner in a wheel chair but can hobble round on a stick very well only a year later? No it leads me to think that the VCi segment is actually set quite early in Lara's career. A time in her career when she didn't even yet value the iconic dual pistols enough to take them with her like she always did. A time when she was inexperienced enough to need tech help, to misjudge a paragliding route and nearly fall to her death. And a time which would allow enough time by the time we get to the end of Tr4 to have let Lara and Werner build up their friendship again. let's not forget after all, despite most of Tr4 being spent with Lara and Werner at each other quite maliciously most of this is due him being possessed by Seth for the majority of the game and it's easy to forget they are still friends: just very competitive ones. Otherwise why try to save her at the end? Why try to dig her out and why turn to her for help in AOD if they truly were enemies? I think the Crux is Lara felt it was her artifact and it was still early enough in her career to try to get it.
This makes so much more sense to me. Especially about the duals.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 00:36   #29
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Just because we don't see it till TR3 doesn't mean it wasn't there though; it could just be that it was somwhere else, such as her massive treasure trove in the basement in TR2, and brought out for TR3 when she updated the trophy room. Afterall, she has the scion by that time but we don't see it again till TR3 also.
Yes, but since it is there in TR3 it means VCI took place before TR4, which takes place after TR3, but Von Croy looks weaker and older than he does in TR4, which doesn't make sense... Phew

Unless it really was meant to show that he was sick or ill or something... there really is no reason why they would make him look like that, like VCI is taking place after TR4 (which is impossible, since Lara "dies" in TR4).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 02:06   #30
Zreen001

Default Possibilities as to When she stole the Iris

Here are the main events surrounding Lara, Von Croy, the Iris, and everything in between and surrounding it.

1) Lara goes on an expedition with VonCroy to Angkor Wat, where VonCroy gets trapped with the Iris.

2) Lara goes on several adventures, including the search for the Philosopher's Stone, Bigfoot, and a commission from Natla. This is also the time Lara moves into her signature Tudor home.

3) Lara battles Bartoli's cultish mafia for the Dagger of Xian. By now, she has a treasure trove set up in her basement.

4) Lara travels the globe in search of four meteorite fragments. By now, her most prized possessions have been moved to a trophy room along with the Iris.

5) Lara and VonCroy bump into each other in Egypt, Lara is presumed dead.

Using these 5 time markers, let's determine the scenarios for which in-between event she raided the VCI for the Iris.

Between 1) and 2):
Lara hadn't really made a name for herself yet, and half of this time she hadn't even gone through the plane crash in the Himalayas. The only possible time she would've had the know-how, skills, tech, and contacts and technology would be right before 2). This would best explain VonCroy's wheelchair condition, setting it a mere 4-8 years or so since the Angkor Wat incident.

Between 2) and 3):
Lara has a name for herself. She also has a house where she's putting her treasures. By this time, she could have stolen the Iris and placed it in her treasure trove, but we don't see it. Being nearly 10 years since Angkor Wat, it wouldn't really make sense for VonCroy to be in a wheelchair, unless his pelvis was also injured in which case it would've taken a long time to heal.

Between 3) and 4):
Same thing as directly above. This would be the last time she could've taken the Iris, unless...

Between 4) and 5):
...unless Lara and VonCroy continually steal the Iris from each other, back and forth, the time we see it in Tomb Raider 3 was before VonCroy took it again and the Chronicles VCI raid would happen just before Tomb Raider 4. This doesn't explain why VonCroy's in a wheelchair, like before, but like before it's possible he was more injured than we thought.

Fun to speculate.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote