Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 20-02-17, 17:19   #1
LeelooBastet

Talking What does Tomb.exe calculate ?

Hi

I was wondering about the way the Tomb.exe calculates what has been created into TRLE/NGLE

To be clear, here my questions :

1. Does the Tomb.exe calculate the room number (room 001, room 002 etc) and its containing + the number of rooms into the project, the same way the editor does ? Or does it just take the globality of the project as one big room ?
-> Maybe, that would mean i can modify/fuse rooms into Metasequoia just before launching the game ?

2. Does the Tomb.exe calculate the hight/width/length of a room as it has been originaly created into the editor, or if it doesn't care, that would mean i could enlarge a room into Metasequoia so that it appears like an open world ?

>> this leading to :
3. May I enlarge the project created into the editor (the way it is not originally possible due to the limit of the view window), by copying/pasting both collision floors and portals) into Metasequoia

(Is there a way to add triggers into Metasequoia... well in fact i'd like to see one day TRLE fused with Meta so that we could create the full game into meta )

Last edited by LeelooBastet; 20-02-17 at 17:21.
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 17:26   #2
Mrs Manson

I can only answer the first question. The Tomb.exe calculate the rooms the same way as the editor. I think it's because of the load camera of every level...
Mrs Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 17:33   #3
LeelooBastet

I'm so frustrated with NGLE limited room and shapes
I loved it before the apparition of WoW and SWTOR though >_<

Last edited by LeelooBastet; 20-02-17 at 17:34.
Old 20-02-17, 17:38   #4
Mrs Manson

I think you can enlarge project with Meta... Maybe it's best to ask about it there on the topic of Meta: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...135733&page=58
Mrs Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 17:38   #5
Caesum

Unfortunately the TRNG tomb4.exe still has the limitation that doesn't allow making levels bigger than 2DMAP view. There is a certain height after which collisions stop working correctly and there's still the issue of levels bugging in the lower-right corner of the 2D Map view. As far as I rember there is a post made by AkyV about these issues.

But I am pretty positive that you can make your geometry show outside of rooms, thus visually enlarging your level. In this case Lara won't be able to get there though.

If you want to make an open world then TR engine is not the best choice. Try learning some engine(Unity/Unreal Engine) or check some other game modding communities(The Elder Scrolls? Gothic?).

Anyway why would you want to make your level bigger than that? The 2D view gives plenty of space for some serious TR gameplay and you can always expand it further by making HUBs like in TR4.

Last edited by Caesum; 20-02-17 at 17:44.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 17:49   #6
LeelooBastet

I am an environment creator, not a gamplay/script one, i litterally hate making the gameplay...
NGLE makes me a 3D painter / artist who can walk into her painted picture

The NRLE has everything incorporated for me to create the minimum (Lara animations etc...), unfortunately with a lack of shape options and room size)
I don't want to recreate every animations and so on into Unreal...

Quote:
Anyway why would you want to make your level bigger than that? The 2D view gives plenty of space for some serious TR gameplay and you can always expand it further by making HUBs like in TR4.
The rooms that are located on the fringe ... to be able to make them look like open world (a kind of horizon/room fusion)

Last edited by LeelooBastet; 20-02-17 at 17:53.
Old 20-02-17, 22:11   #7
Dustie

Not possible in TRLE at the moment, in the other thread Paolone actually explained that most of the limits are there because the programmers defined many of the values in the program according to the hardware's abilities at that time and they can only hold certain size of numbers... we can't make rooms rendered past a 255 tiles distance from the "middle" of the 3D map, because the value that holds that number was defined as a 0-255 value, for example. At least that's what I understand. So not only you can't make your level bigger than the 2D map allows in the editor, you wouldn't be able to make it show in the game as the graphics will clip past the 255 tiles distance. Plus, Lara hits a wall there also, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe using Meta you can place graphics past that distance and they will show, but if there's an invisible wall for Lara then they will be useless...

The engine would have to be rewritten from the ground up for all these values to be redefined to hold bigger numbers...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-17, 23:27   #8
LeelooBastet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
The engine would have to be rewritten from the ground up for all these values to be redefined to hold bigger numbers...
No possibility to decompile, just change the values, then recompile ?

I understand though that it was due to the past hardware limits ...

Last edited by LeelooBastet; 20-02-17 at 23:29.
Old 21-02-17, 08:54   #9
Titak

If it would be that simple I'd think that Paolone had done it already.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 09:08   #10
TR-Freak
Unverified

The TRLE "calculates" nothing when it comes to rooms.
The size is written when it is compiled. If you want to alter the size of rooms, you need to alter the level file itself in multiple locations, because you need to take doors in account.

You can look into the TRosettaStone Document how the files are stored and structured
https://opentomb.earvillage.net/Open..._room_geometry
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote