Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 23-07-17, 15:35   #11
Daring Do

I hope they keep the crafting. I like that stuff. You get to upgrade and customize stuff to your own style. I also like collecting stuff.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 15:53   #12
mind

It's not crafting that I don't like. Read the original post please. It's having three tutorials what bugs me the most - the first with Jonah, Second in syria and third in Siberian wilderness.....
mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 15:54   #13
Wooxman

They can keep the weapon upgrades. Though it would make more sense if instead of pieces of weapons Lara would find complete weapons and instead of crafting things like silencers and laser sights, she could find these as well. The first Crysis has this figured out in a pretty good way: For example when you find a weapon with a silencer, you can use it on other weapons.

I'd also rather exchange weapons by collecting them from enemies than going to a base camp. The latter has a certain "prepare for your next mission" feel to it which doesn't really suit TR.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 16:09   #14
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I always thought she brought survival equipment, but they were lost in the avalanche. Personally I didn't mind the small survival section. It showed how far she's come from the first game. First you barely got to the camp, all wounded, alone and all up in your emotions. The killing of a deer was a hard decision and you got captured. This time she got up on her feet quickly, showed her craftiness right off the bat and she outsmarted the enemy easily. She didn't become the prey, she was the predator.
I agree with this .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 16:38   #15
Mutant Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind View Post
I've been replaying ROTTR and it got me thinking.

The first few hours of the game feel really tiring. It's like playing TR2013 all over again. Don't get me wrong. The Super Lara concept from TRL and TRU with all the fancy gadgets is ancient in terms of modern gaming and woul feel ridiculous. I also like crafting and progress system in new games. But do we really have to build a shelter? Do we have to craft a bow from a piece of wood? Why does she come totally unarmed when she was literally attacked few days earlier by Trinity in Syria? Why do we have to start totally unequipped spending the entire first third of the game just looking for things she already had in the first game? I hope we will not have to go through this in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I really hope the next game won't start with hunting animals/building shelter/whatever just for the sake of adding survival to the game.
By the time she arrived at the Soviet Installation, she's already quite equipped.

That part of Siberia you're talking about (the shelter level) is quite short of a level.

Do take note that not everyone that will play this game has played Tomb Raider 2013, so that initial level is an introductory part.

I'll be pragmatic about things. I like the more streamlined crafting system of Tomb Raider 2013. You loot items from crates and use those items as a currency system for the weapons upgrade.

In Rise of the Tomb Raider, there are quite a number of weapons that are a bit repetitive, if not pointless.

The military rifle makes the SMG and Machine gun quite useless.

The uzi is quite pointless. You don't have that much storage capacity for your pistol ammo, and you already have the military rifle anyway.

The only bow that matters is the compound bow (fully upgraded). Although some may like the faster draw speed of the other bows, you'll be fine with the compound bow.

Thunderclap is the only shotgun you'll need (or that other shotgun that looks like thunderclap). If the reload time is your concern, you can just craft special ammos and do multiple shots with it without reloading.

The Venom Hand cannon is the only pistol you'll need.

The Golden Fang is the only rifle that adds variety to the rifle seletion. It has some real advantages. It can penetrate the helmet of the Deathless, and you can do a one shot headshot kill with it.

The idea of stealing weapons from your enemies isn't exactly a nice fit. If you have an enemy that has as overpowered weapon and you took it from him, the game needs to put more enemies to make the situation more difficult. And I doubt if old school fans will like it.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 17:06   #16
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Do take note that not everyone that will play this game has played Tomb Raider 2013, so that initial level is an introductory part.
The shelter building isn't necessary for understanding the gameplay. Tutorials don't need that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
The idea of stealing weapons from your enemies isn't exactly a nice fit. If you have an enemy that has as overpowered weapon and you took it from him, the game needs to put more enemies to make the situation more difficult. And I doubt if old school fans will like it.
No. It works in other games because when you get your hands on an overpowered weapon, there's usually not a lot of ammo for it lying around. Also, you usually get stronger weapons to fight stronger enemies and once you've killed them, most if not all of your ammo is gone anyway. When I get the rocket launcher or spartan laser in Halo, it's for fighting vehicles or really strong enemies like the hunters. If I get the boom shot in Gears of War, it's to either fight strong enemies or a lot of smaller ones. But once these sections are finished, it's not typical to have a lot of spare ammo since most of it has been used to fight the stronger enemies or waves of smaller ones. Legend lets you equip grenade launchers from enemies and most of the time there's only one enemy with a grenade launcher, so you don't get any refills and can't just use the weapon without thinking about it (though you don't have to use any of the enemy weapons in Legend anyway since this game is so easy, but that's not the point).
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 18:58   #17
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I agree with this .
But again; they already showed us how far she's come since TR2013 in the Syria section.
To me that (hereby aptly named) 'Must find sheltah' section of Siberia felt a bit dragging after the Syrian section had so brilliantly kicked off the pace. Heck if anything I think I'd preferred them to instead expand the Syria section a bit to include the rest of the 'mandatory tutorial' so that we could get that thing out of the way and not waste anymore time in Siberia going through that (it's not as if we don't spend enough time in Siberia in the game as it is ). The car being destroyed by the chopper in Syria even presents a perfect opportunity for the 'loosing all equipment' and all that survival jazz no?

Last edited by Trenton; 23-07-17 at 19:00.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 20:11   #18
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
But again; they already showed us how far she's come since TR2013 in the Syria section.
I don't know , perhaps they needed (or wanted) a direct parallel , just compare the "first camp" cutscenes between TR2013 and Rise , the posture , the body language and the facial expressions , the one from TR2013 shows a scared young woman unsure of the future and the one from Rise shows her with a determined fierce look listening to the enemies conversations on the radio and as soon as that ends , gets up and prepares her bow , I quite liked that touch .

That's not to say that I'd like another catastrophe to open the next game leaving Lara without anything , but I don't want crafting and upgrading to be scrapped entirely either or for Lara to be fully equipped to the brim from the start , after all , even Classic Lara herself starts her adventure with a shotgun with only 2 bullets , 2 flares and like 2 medipacks and ends up acquiring more weapons , more ammo , more flares and more important tools (like crowbars , wrenches , a grappling gun etc) along the way , it's not that different to the reboot games after all , only instead of finding random ammo and medipacks in long lost rotten tombs and temples , Lara now just crafts them from certain resources in the environment surrounding her .

Last edited by Patrick star; 23-07-17 at 20:17.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 20:25   #19
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I don't know , perhaps they needed (or wanted) a direct parallel , just compare the "first camp" cutscenes between TR2013 and Rise , the posture , the body language and the facial expressions , the one from TR2013 shows a scared young woman unsure of the future and the one from Rise shows her with a determined fierce look listening to the enemies conversations on the radio and as soon as that ends , gets up and prepares her bow , I quite liked that touch .

That's not to say that I'd like another catastrophe to open the next game leaving Lara without anything , but I don't want crafting and upgrading to be scrapped entirely either or for Lara to be fully equipped to the brim from the start , after all , even Classic Lara herself starts her adventure with a shotgun with only 2 bullets , 2 flares and like 2 medipacks and ends up acquiring more weapons , more ammo , more flares and more important tools (like crowbars , wrenches , a grappling gun etc) along the way , it's not that different to the reboot games after all , only instead of finding random ammo and medipacks in long lost rotten tombs and temples , Lara now just crafts them from certain resources in the environment surrounding her .
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-17, 21:12   #20
Blackmoor

You know, I wouldn't mind the crafting so much if we were truly isolated.

If Lara was stuck out there, miles and miles away from anyone and any kind of civilisation.

But we collect our twigs and skins and then around the corner is the technology and equipment of Trinity.

It all feels so pointless really if you think about it. I try not to because it ruins the mood, but thinking about it now - why don't they put us somewhere alone and isolated and then have to use our survival skills in a real way, or else die. No more mercs around the next bush or deep inside the next tomb with guns and clothes and other stuff we could steal after killing them all. No more noble people living nearby in the valley with all sorts of equipment either.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote