Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-07-14, 09:14   #11
CheshireBitch

I agree it's a boring game. No wonder it's the worst selling Tomb Raider.
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 11:45   #12
peeves

I actually like Anniversary because it's a good solid remake. It's my favorite CD TR game.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 13:13   #13
SrDanielPonces

I agree with you.
For me TRA is the most boring game that Crystal have done.
I just hated how they changed the story to fit in TRL and TRU. That's not really a remake, then!
To be honest, I liked the soundtracks and the geometry of it, but It really (for me) didn't have the TR1 Feeling (And yes, I played TR1 first). I think Palace Midas was one of the worst levels for me. It was supposed to be a puzzle where you need to discover which levels you should press to open the door, like tr1, but they changed COMPLETELY the geometry making completely a new level.
Just my opinion.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 13:22   #14
voltz

Doing a bit of a Metroid Zero vs TRA comparison and I'm trying to see what the problem is.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 13:55   #15
Wooxman

Isn't Metroid Zero Mission an exact replication of Metroid 1, just with new abilities, graphics and proper story telling while it remains the level layout of the original?

Last edited by Wooxman; 10-07-14 at 13:57.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 14:16   #16
voltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Isn't Metroid Zero Mission an exact replication of Metroid 1, just with new abilities, graphics and proper story telling while it remains the level layout of the original?
No it's not exact. The main portions of the game were given some severe alterations (namely the whole levels) and much of what it played like before was turned into a hyper version of Super Metroid. Folks complained because it had some points that guided players onto the next area and they tried to argue (abit pitifully) that Samus was going from her cold bounty hunter self, into something not too far removed from Lara Croft. Of course that crap was carried over from Fusion, but they made a point out of it in M anyway.

That game turned out to be one of the best titles in the series. When I look at it and then TRA with TRF's boyboi point of view versus the general audience, I sometimes have to wonder if it's really the gameplay values, or the sake of argument because of technicalities that shouldn't be diminishing to the game's overall experience. If you gave folks outside this forum both titles and had them complete both, then tell them to throw one of them in the trash, which do you think it will be? On top of that, now you get to question their motives and compare yourselves to their own and get to find out who's really nuts in this debate.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 00:17   #17
Laras Dream

I find it hard to prefer TR1. Only because the first games I started playing as a kid were PS2 standard.

I remember I used to replay the first level on TR2, TR3, TR4 and TR5 as a kid because I kept reinstalling them because I had no clue how to work it (I was like 6, I have an excuse xD).

So for me, the first TR I ever finished from top to bottom was AOD and even if I used the cursor key controls for it, I still find I cannot enjoy the CONTROLS and gameplay of the PS1 games as much. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Core Lara, I prefer her over Crystal's, who is practically a different person.

But I much prefer the controls and gameplay of Anniversary, even if I got bored at times - especially in Greece... god, I hated them levels.

Though TR1 has its credits in the classic feel. Anniversary didn't hit the mark.

Last edited by Laras Dream; 11-07-14 at 00:18.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 00:25   #18
Flipsider

That's an interesting point about Metroid Zero Mission, I'm glad you brought it up. Metroid Zero Mission is a good example of an excellent remake. On the other hand, Anniversary is a mediocre and flawed remake. I think the main reason is that the former captures the spirit of the original, whereas the latter doesn't.

Metroid Zero Mission doesn't try to reinvent the core gameplay. It still plays very much like the original, but with some additions which logically build upon what the original does. Some of these additions are borrowed from the sequels, so they feel natural to fans of the series. Overall, the game builds on and refines the original game without changing the core gameplay aspects.

Tomb Raider Anniversary, on the other hand, has entirely different gameplay mechanics from the original. Rather than refinement, it tears down the original and replaces it with something different. The levels have all been redesigned and repopulated with poles, ropes, and shining ledges. to reflect those changes. It doesn't really expand on the original Tomb Raider... rather, the levels often seem smaller and more limited in scope.

In some ways, Anniversary makes some improvements that end up being downgrades at the same time. The graphics and level design are more realistic looking... but at the same time, everything looks more brown and samey. The original had pretty good usage of color palettes in the level designs, which were lost in the remake. The controls in TRA are certainly more intuitive and easy to get used to... however, there is a lack of precision as compared to the original. For this reason, controls which suited a simpler game like Legend don't work very well for a game with more complicated and harsher level designs. The lack of precision can be frustrating.

Another thing that was downgraded in Anniversary was the soundtrack. The original Tomb Raider had an amazing soundtrack, that was not only high quality but also very innovative in the way it was used. Anniversary's soundtrack borrows from the original, but the way it is used is much less interesting, and the new music all sounds very generic. Contrast this to Metroid Zero Mission, which has excellent remakes of the original music complimented by some solid new music.

Overall, I think this is a great example of a remake that works very well compared to a remake that doesn't. Metroid Zero Mission is a great remake that succeeds in what it's doing. Tomb Raider Anniversary is a mixed bag, that fails as much as it succeeds, and ends up feeling inferior to the orignal game.
Flipsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 00:27   #19
ThuroPendragon

I just found it to be boring. Puzzle after puzzle with fighting a few apes and bears in between. Yay. Legend had a much nicer collection of combat and puzzles.
ThuroPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 00:57   #20
klona
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
Anniversary's a fine game on its own merits, but it's an insult to its source material.
Pretty much this, but I think it mostly insults the source story though.
The gameplay was overhauled and it's a lot better now.
klona is offline   Reply With Quote