www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 01-05-17, 04:13   #81
mhs1979
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I'm assuming you mean the Mayo Clinic, not the "May Clinic"? This is what it says on their website:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proc...e/prc-20013585

Notice how most of these are cases of "the risk is really low anyway but it might just be a little bit lower if you're circumcised". The hygiene one shouldn't even be on the list as they even point out themselves that you can easily wash the area beneath the foreskin. The STD argument is quite pointless, as well, seeing as it almost only applies to people who don't use condoms, anyway. Another one of their arguments is phimosis but again, it makes zero sense to circumcise a child prophylactically just because they might get phimosis at some point down the line as you can always just do it once they do get it if they get it (and if it's deemed medically necessary). But phimosis is by no means common enough to warrant prophylactic circumcisions (not to mention that there are newer, non-surgical treatments now). Circumcision is not a routine procedure here in Europe (most children who get circumcised are those of Jewish and Muslim parents) and I'm not aware of a significant amount of European children or men having problems with urinary tract infections, penile cancer or STDs as a result. (I've tried looking for a study comparing these factors in European and US-American men but I haven't been able to find one so I don't have exact numbers.)

What you also have to keep in mind is that hospitals make money off of circumcisions. They're not just paid for performing them, they also sell the foreskins to the cosmetics industry, scientific institutions, etc. So while I certainly don't mean to accuse every doctor or medical organisation that comes out in favour of circumcision of lying, I do think people should keep in mind that many of them may have a vested interest in keeping the practice alive and popular.
Yes I meant the Mayo Clinic. I dislike these places because people want to pint out misspelling like it means something. I have read posts that misspell all the time and generally don't comment. I don't know if there is a May Clinic or not, but we all make typos.

I know what it says on their website. I posted with the full knowledge of what's there. But with their record of healing, I generally don't argue too much with their findings.

Draco,

My POV really has little to do with me being circumcised or not. I am just not a member of so called men's rights pity train whereby I have to believe that men are somehow being persecuted and that we equate what happens to women in this case to what happens to us. Because I've enjoyed sex greatly without the foreskin so I don't see how this is equal to what happens to a woman when you mess with her clitoris.
mhs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 04:25   #82
Boobandie
Professor

I don't think anyone has said it's equal in damage, the point is it should be illegal on children as it's irreversible and medically-unnecessary surgery being forced on someone else.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 05:23   #83
mhs1979
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I don't think anyone has said it's equal in damage, the point is it should be illegal on children as it's irreversible and medically-unnecessary surgery being forced on someone else.
These decisions are left up to the parents. They always have been, at least in America.
mhs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 05:30   #84
Boobandie
Professor

And it is something that should be changed because parents are currently allowed to have bits of their kids bodies cut off.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 13:55   #85
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs1979 View Post
Yes I meant the Mayo Clinic. I dislike these places because people want to pint out misspelling like it means something. I have read posts that misspell all the time and generally don't comment. I don't know if there is a May Clinic or not, but we all make typos.
I genuinely did not know whether that's what you meant or not, hence the question. I don't think the Mayo Clinic is very well-known over here (at least I can't remember having heard of it before... or maybe I can but only very vaguely, I'm not sure), it was merely one of the first results that showed up when I googled "May Clinic" so I assumed that that could be what you meant.

Quote:
I know what it says on their website. I posted with the full knowledge of what's there. But with their record of healing, I generally don't argue too much with their findings.
Well, maybe you should. And maybe you should also start actually replying to people's specific arguments, otherwise you'll soon find that people will start growing very tired of having any kind of "discussion" with you. If all you can do is throw out dismissive one-sentence replies without actually presenting much of a proper counter-argument, you frankly shouldn't be frequenting this section of the forums.

Quote:
Draco,

My POV really has little to do with me being circumcised or not. I am just not a member of so called men's rights pity train whereby I have to believe that men are somehow being persecuted and that we equate what happens to women in this case to what happens to us. Because I've enjoyed sex greatly without the foreskin so I don't see how this is equal to what happens to a woman when you mess with her clitoris.
And this? You completely ignore what several people in this thread have pointed out to you multiple times just because ignoring it suits your argument. And then you go on to make a gross overgeneralisation by clumping anyone who's opposed to male circumcision together with your preconceived notions of a small subset of "men's rights activists" to try and invalidate their arguments. Yeah, no, I'm done. Until you actually learn proper reading-comprehension and how to have a constructive discussion, you have fun feeling superior on your "I'm not a victim"-train of ignorance, I'm out.
Old 02-05-17, 03:22   #86
Draco
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs1979 View Post
Draco,

Okay, but FGM is also less brutal than beheadings, so that makes it okay. They aren't equal after all.
Old 02-05-17, 16:08   #87
DJ Full
Professor

I knew a girl punished for being left-handed because her mother believed it's the work of the devil.
I guess mutilating that left hand instead would be just a matter of "different interpretation".
All different forms of the same ignorance.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote