www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-01-18, 20:08   #11
Shing
Student

There is a lot to improve. ROTR was ported to X360 too, on PC i was able to finish the game using 8-9 years old hardware (HD6870, PhenomII X4 965).

I'm sure it will look much better than the previous game if they are ignoring old hardware. And as others said, we have Pro and X, so more reason to put new effects into the game.

I know that laptops are much more expensive, but GTX1050 is basically entry-level for a desktop PC. New GPU's will come in few months with a totally new architecture. I'm sure they will optimize for that too.

I think it will be enough for the new TR, but i'm not sure about the quality. Hard to tell ATM.

Last edited by Shing; 07-01-18 at 20:10.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 23:56   #12
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

I'll say that in may look better, but the quality jump will be smaller then the one from RotTR to TReboot.

However, I expect for requirements to remain basically the same as RotTR, due to better optimised tech. I mean, just compare TressFX in TReboot to Purehair in RotTR: the latter looks way better and uses way less resources.
Old 08-01-18, 11:04   #13
Rufinoman
Hobbyist

I expect performance/graphics to be similar to the leap from TR13 to ROTTR, although I have no source to back this up. CD need to stay current especially with the new hardware developed since 2013.
ROTTR is pretty demanding anyway and on my FX8320/RX580/16Gb setup, the very high graphical settings hit my fps sometimes into the low 30s in some scenes. High is perfectly acceptable actually.
Oh, and I hope thy don't do another Xbox exclusive with Shadow
Rufinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 14:30   #14
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Keep in mind that there will be a 99.9999% chance that SOTTR will come to console and therefore will have graphical limitations that the xbox and ps4 have.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-18, 14:49   #15
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
Keep in mind that there will be a 99.9999% chance that SOTTR will come to console and therefore will have graphical limitations that the xbox and ps4 have.
Exactly. This is why I don't think we'll have that much of a leap between games. The quality boost we'll get will come from programing optimization/better art direction/both and not from brute horsepower. And remember: TReboot was originally developed for X360 and PS3. That is why the leap from that game to RotTR was so high. If we're lucky, we'll get a TRU to TReboot leap in quality, which again, came from programing optimization and better art direction.

Now, I'm not saying that advances in PC hardware won't mean much better PC maximum settings, but at least minimum requirements won't be that much higher than those from RotTR.
Old 10-01-18, 20:06   #16
FanosCroft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Exactly. This is why I don't think we'll have that much of a leap between games. The quality boost we'll get will come from programing optimization/better art direction/both and not from brute horsepower. And remember: TReboot was originally developed for X360 and PS3. That is why the leap from that game to RotTR was so high. If we're lucky, we'll get a TRU to TReboot leap in quality, which again, came from programing optimization and better art direction.

Now, I'm not saying that advances in PC hardware won't mean much better PC maximum settings, but at least minimum requirements won't be that much higher than those from RotTR.
If they developed a new engine, the quality jump will be higher
Old 11-01-18, 11:10   #17
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
If they developed a new engine, the quality jump will be higher
Not exactly. Maybe it would be more future-proof and allow for better tech for higher-end PCs and future consoles, but they're still developing the game for current gen. As more optimized the engine could be, there is a limit to what they could do... SotTR WILL look better, just not as much as some of you think. At least not on consoles...
Old 12-01-18, 15:05   #18
tomee
Tomb Raider

This is slightly off topic.

I can run Rise on medium settings with smooth framerates and Purehair cranked to max, but I do get stuttering or outright momentary freezes in some areas. I suspect this is because there is heavy loading in the background. Could this be a memory issue? I have only 4GB unfortunately which I believe is the weakest part of my PC.
Old 13-01-18, 01:16   #19
charmedangelin
Professor

The computer I'm looking at in question has an
Intel 7th gen i5 7300
Nvidia Graphics GTX 1050
8GB Ram

I can't imagine Shadow being a massive upgrade from Rise, but then again there is always a possibility.
Old 13-01-18, 17:19   #20
Ankh
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
The computer I'm looking at in question has an
Intel 7th gen i5 7300
Nvidia Graphics GTX 1050
8GB Ram

I can't imagine Shadow being a massive upgrade from Rise, but then again there is always a possibility.
You definitely will be able to run it... Even if there will be massive upgrade - Shadow is still 8th gen game
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote