Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 07-12-06, 09:23   #1
VIPER86
Inactive

Cool Will Lara be able to go anywhere...at last

I don't know about you but I was very annoyed when in previous TR games there were lots of apparently accessible places but lara just refused to go there, because the programmers did'n think it was neccessary. I think that in new-gen TR games Lara should be able to go anywhere no matter if this is connected with the passing of the level or not. For example in the beginning of Ghana level there were two pillars on the waterfall cliff that i've always wanted to climb o but CD did'nt think it is necessary. It was very unrealistic.After all, movement and explorations are the main base in TR and it's very silly if Lara can't do one thing or another just because the programmers did'nt think like me or you. FOR EXAMPLE the waterwheels from the new AE screenies are most probably not intreractive and Lara wont be able to do some exploraion in them...(
VIPER86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 09:53   #2
the hooliganz

Yeah i know, what you mean, but, they can't just let you go any where, the developers will have a hard time developing the game if they did, it is like you can travel anywhere around, endless
the hooliganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 10:22   #3
daventry

Smile

As long as i can Save the Game every two seconds without Auto Save, then i will be even more happy.
daventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 10:24   #4
Rivendell

Just wait until TR8 - when TR starts to be built for next gen properly. Then I'm looking for Assassin's Creed style 'Go Anywhere/climb anything that sticks out more than 2 inches' gameplay

Invisible walls me off.
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:02   #5
Virusbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER86 View Post
I don't know about you but I was very annoyed when in previous TR games there were lots of apparently accessible places but lara just refused to go there, because the programmers did'n think it was neccessary.
I assume you are mostly thinking of Legend? Maybe with an exception of AoD, the inaccessible places in the other games where only inaccessible because Lara did not have the means to get there. You might connect this to the fact that the programmers didn't think it was necessary, but still, there were no invisible walls, and if you found some weird way to get there... You'd get there.
Virusbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:22   #6
Michiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusbuster View Post
I assume you are mostly thinking of Legend?
The problem of not being able to go everywhere mostly applies to AOD and Legend. If the developers didn't make something possible, it was not possible to go there. In AOD you had the fly cheat using debugkeys, and when you went somewhere you could not stand. A high balcony had no collision.

This is unlike the classics. In the classics every visible block had collision. This was because of the engine they used. The game engine for the classics used blocks for collision, which were textured after that. Basicly, if you put a ledge somewhere, the collision is added by the engine itself.

That is not the case with modern games. They don't use blocks anymore, the developers have freedom to make like any shape they want. But that means collision has to be set manually. A ledge doesn't have collision until the developer makes it.

This is the reason in for example TR3, you could stand on ledges not part of the gameplay. The roof of the house for example, you could stand on it even if they never made it for standing on it. They only made it because it was visible from the ground, and the collision was added by the engine itself. Same with the cliffs in TR3 jungle for example. You could get on the cliffs and dive down from high above. Even if they never designed it to be stand on. It was just how the old engine for the classics worked.
Michiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 15:51   #7
Psychopompador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell View Post
Just wait until TR8 - when TR starts to be built for next gen properly. Then I'm looking for Assassin's Creed style 'Go Anywhere/climb anything that sticks out more than 2 inches'
HERE HERE!!
Psychopompador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 15:56   #8
thevman

It really is lazy programming and not making objects solid. I used the gameshark code for moon jump so I could jump up to unaccessible areas and she falls thru them all!
thevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 16:31   #9
da tomb raider!

I just want a large environment to explore. Nobody can develop a game which allows you to explore everywhere you want to go, and who can blame them? With most Tomb Raider games, most places where players couldn't go were blocked off. In Legend, there were invisable walls ( ). As long as I have a big environment to explore and no invisable walls, I'm happy about that!
da tomb raider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 16:38   #10
Terminatorvs

There are no games where you can go anywhere. There are always some borders which you cannot cross to stay inside the area. If you could go anywhere, that way you could see something that you're not supposed to see - the inside-out of the level, for example.
Terminatorvs is offline   Reply With Quote