Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 16-04-12, 10:44   #1
Bashar

Default Success without doubt?

Heey guys! I'm sorry if this thread was already made or something.

We all know now that the direction of this new Tomb Raider has harboured great success so far. New people are interested in the game! (rather then the usual group of hardcore fanboys)

But the most important part of the success would be the sales it will win prior to release! don't you think? I don't know if Crystal Dynamics are aiming for sales higher then the first Tomb Raider game back in the 90's. But the sales have to exceed the LAU trilogy at least. That way there's more money, the game will earn more ratings too, and all sorts of other things.

However, the advertising campaign for the game has slight flaws. They introduced the game at a very early stage of it's development in order for the fans to swallow the reboot concept. And they had to release the trailer after that along with that game-play video which attracted loads of newcomers. But given the time all of that was released, there had to be a huge gap in the time set for releasing information. As you all know, it's been months since we had news.

Doesn't that make those newcomers who don't check the forums every day forget about this game?

So how much of them actually are anticipating it, and will buy it? Will this game have success without doubt? Do you guys thing it will exceed past games in terms of sales? So far it already exceeded a lot of them in terms of features.

I hope It does! It's been a long time since tomb raider looked this promising. Wouldn't it be awesome if it beats Tomb Raider 1? the game coming after this would be extremely anticipated if it does! and this game will reclaim it's glory.

Tell me what you guys think!
Bashar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 11:23   #2
tampi

I really don't know.
All I know is that they have at their disposal a way to create something with all the keys to success.
tampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 11:38   #3
CLF

I'm pretty sure when they do come back with news (or at least at E3) all those newcomers will go "Oh yes, I remember this, this looks quite good, doesn't it?". It won't be forgotten about.
CLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 11:45   #4
aussie500
Golden

In my experience most gamers do not bother checking forums every day, very few check forums at all. Every other Fall released Tomb Raider game started the main advertising campaign with the E3 before it was released. So it is a reboot, they gave us a glimpse 12 months earlier to work that out and let it sink in something changed. No reason to suddenly take leave of their senses and show everything so early everyone forgets it before the game is released.

Gamers know about the game, they would have to have been blind to have missed it, unlike goldfish, most gamers have good memories. They are not about to forget Tomb Raider is coming out later this year. Certainly seeing it plastered all over E3 will remind them, as will a good 6 months of advertising if any fail to notice the game. If they cannot notice the game in 6 months, they are brain dead and a 12 month campaign would be just wasting good money that could be better spent on the game.

Both Legend and Underworld exceeded TR1's initial sales figures, no reason to think in a similar amount of time they will not eventually sell 7 odd million. It is the hit games of today who's figures we need to equal or beat.

Last edited by aussie500; 16-04-12 at 11:51.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 11:47   #5
CrisSioux

i think that this game is gonna be a masterpiece, it has all the credentials to became a masterpiece, at first when cd said "forget what you knew about lara" i was shocked ,but then i saw the trailer and the gameplay and i realized that is not good , but AMAZING , for the newcomers , i think that they won't forget about this game , because :

1) in june there will be the E3 2012 and we will see new things, so for my opinion new newcomers will want to buy this game
2)with promotion on all the social network , youtube ecc.ecc. they won't forget
3) i saw some comments of newcomers on differents forum and they was like "i don't know why, but tomb raider is gonna be on the list of my upcoming game to buy"
CrisSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 12:06   #6
tomblover

Being that CD have really focused on making what's more or less a new game altogether, the new TR is definitely on a lot of people's radars. It's not the same old deal anymore.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 13:14   #7
aussie500
Golden

Some perspective for sales expectations.

June 1997 (yes it was the round of E3 interviews that usually start a Tomb Raider game off)

Source

Jan 1998

Source The original source vanished, but the shorter version will do.

May 2006

Source

Feb 2009

Source

So the reboot would want to sell a fair bit more than 2.6 million in three months, or nothing much would have changed. 5 million in three months is a respectable figure. TR1 sold just over 2.6 million in the first YEAR, just about all the original titles except TR5 and maybe AOD beat that figure. No success is a sure thing, look how AOD turned out, or even TRU. They can only do their best and hope it is a success

Last edited by aussie500; 16-04-12 at 13:54.
aussie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 13:39   #8
SpyrosMonster

^ THIS!!

I really have a big hope for this game... It's SIMPLE! just remember when they started to make this game back then from scratch. You can see that they give 1000% of their power so that everything goes smooth!!!

TOMB RAIDER
2012 is going to be YOUR FREAKIN' YEAR
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 18:29   #9
Bashar

good points you guys! I didn't know LAU sold more then tomb raider 1! No wonder the series went on okay regardless of their lacklustre bits. So do you guys think those newcommers will actually like the game when they buy it? Let's face it. Nowadays, all gamers like those dumb shooter games and whatever. Tomb Raider is all about creativity and puzzle solving, it was never based on running around fighting goons for the heck of it.

So what exactly do you think this game will appeal to newcommers? do you think they may become fans?
Bashar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-12, 18:32   #10
Mikky

I have high hopes, but I still have some doubts. Let's just say that I wouldn't be too surprised if this game succeeded, but also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote