www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-16, 20:54   #11
dinne
Explorer
 
dinne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Italia
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
...
I think that in my case was a case of misunderstanding because of bad dubs.
I've linked the righ moment in the italian video to let everyone to check.
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 00:53   #12
benjamin_2010
Archaeologist
 
benjamin_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,394
Default

I believe it was intended as comedic relief. What she should have said is "I hate murdering people!" as that is what you spend most of the game doing, not exploring tombs. But I digress. It was kind of a cheesy thing to say imo. I just rolled my eyes and moved on.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:09   #13
ancientIo
Archaeologist
 
ancientIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hell
Posts: 1,042
Default

It may have been comedy but even in English the moment looked very serious. Like she had this small moment of frustration and said what she was thinking deep inside

It looked like...I don't know very...inexperienced of her. It doesn't gel with the other details about her in the game like her hiking in Kilimanjaro with Sam and accompanying her parents on expeditions. Why would she be suddenly annoyed by an old and dusty tomb when she's probably experienced it before ever since prepubescence?

Now a sewer I understand...
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:43   #14
Daring Do
Relic Hunter
 
Daring Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geothermal Valley
Posts: 5,992
Default

That line is one of my favorite lines in the whole game. I found it funny. I don't know how many times I've said I hated drawing or went on about how terrible animating is, even though both of those things are my passion. It's meant to be lighthearted, and I appreciate that very much given how serious the rest of the game is.
__________________
Raccoons are just cats with fat butts and small people hands.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:48   #15
Luis Augusto
Historian
 
Luis Augusto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colombia
Posts: 404
Default

Well, maybe she was just fed up with all the things that happened to her up until that moment. Everyone and everything was against her.

But right after she says that, she inmediately falls in love with the tomb and the stories behind it. Heck, she even RAIDS Himiko's sarcophagus looking for her corpse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYiYdNhPrmk

IDK, I liked it. It was indeed kind of ironic.
__________________
"I make my own luck." // @AugustoMD on Twitter!
Luis Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 01:48   #16
ThatSassyKid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: No
Posts: 8,038
Default

I think it's a really stupid and forced aspect of her progression into a Tomb Raider.

Sorta like this

> She hates tombs early-on in the game
> By the end of it/start of Rise, she loves them

Edit
Regarding the posts about context on the previous page, she says it pretty seriously in French too.

"Je déteste les tombs!" is how she says it and yea it's not so much an "I don't like tombs" in a lighthearted way. It's more something you'd say when you really don't like something.

The word "hate" in English is 9 times out of 10 an exaggerated term, and hence can be easily heard/read in such a way.
In other languages, not so much as each word usually has another word for different contexts.

Last edited by ThatSassyKid; 02-11-16 at 01:55.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 02:03   #17
ancientIo
Archaeologist
 
ancientIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hell
Posts: 1,042
Default

that moment reminded me of a kid trying to solve a math problem

Maybe it should be in Meme-It 22?
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 02:33   #18
Daring Do
Relic Hunter
 
Daring Do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Geothermal Valley
Posts: 5,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
It looked like...I don't know very...inexperienced of her. It doesn't gel with the other details about her in the game like her hiking in Kilimanjaro with Sam and accompanying her parents on expeditions. Why would she be suddenly annoyed by an old and dusty tomb when she's probably experienced it before ever since prepubescence?
Because of all of the rest of the stuff that's happened to her throughout the game, what with all the blood, gore, pain, and all that jazz. I'd be grumpy at tombs too. It's kind of like when you've been having a really ****ty day and just one small insignificant annoyance pushes you over to just hate everything.

Besides, there's plenty of times where she's super hype about what she finds in tombs and the tombs themselves. So it's not like she's hated tombs the whole time, it was just that moment.
__________________
Raccoons are just cats with fat butts and small people hands.
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 03:06   #19
trfan16
Archaeologist
 
trfan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
Because of all of the rest of the stuff that's happened to her throughout the game, what with all the blood, gore, pain, and all that jazz. I'd be grumpy at tombs too. It's kind of like when you've been having a really ****ty day and just one small insignificant annoyance pushes you over to just hate everything.

Besides, there's plenty of times where she's super hype about what she finds in tombs and the tombs themselves. So it's not like she's hated tombs the whole time, it was just that moment.
This. She pretty much blurted it out in the spur of the moment. Most likely because of all the stress she went through prior to entering the tomb. Under normal circumstances, she would probably be fascinated by the tombs. We already know she's interested in ancient history and cultural lore, hence her traveling to Yamatai. And we all know that she becomes intrigued by tombs later in the game. I don't think that line was meant to have a hidden message behind it.

Last edited by trfan16; 02-11-16 at 03:07.
trfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 03:06   #20
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: pillow
Posts: 6,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
I think it's a really stupid and forced aspect of her progression into a Tomb Raider.

Sorta like this

> She hates tombs early-on in the game
> By the end of it/start of Rise, she loves them

Edit
Regarding the posts about context on the previous page, she says it pretty seriously in French too.

"Je déteste les tombs!" is how she says it and yea it's not so much an "I don't like tombs" in a lighthearted way. It's more something you'd say when you really don't like something.

The word "hate" in English is 9 times out of 10 an exaggerated term, and hence can be easily heard/read in such a way.
In other languages, not so much as each word usually has another word for different contexts.
That's not it at all. Lara very clearly loves tombs before Yamatai, just look at her face 2 seconds after she says that line.
This line is just the most misunderstood thing ever. :/ I guess that's what happens when you take your game so seriously that there are no more than 3-4 purposely comical moments.
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.