Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D

Old 15-09-17, 19:53   #121
thewolf
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post

I don't understand well. Do you mean playing your level along with the originals or just your level? By default you don't need the CD to play if you are using the TR2 Gold demo engine, just for the music. But there is a method to have music without needing the CD.
I wanted to know how to play only my own level with the original cd. Without the tr2 demo
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 20:43   #122
Danath

Mmm i don't really understand, building using the demo folder lets you play without a CD, i don't get why you want to use it to play. Even if it's a demo you can build multiple levels.
For what you want i suppose you would need to use the files on the TR2 install folder/CD, copying them to your level folder, i may be wrong though.
Danath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-17, 13:10   #123
thewolf
Golden

Ah I thought it doesn't work with the demo. I tried yesterday to play with the demo and couldn't get it to work. That's the reason why I asked how I can play without the demo. Now it works. Thank you again
Old 21-09-17, 15:56   #124
thewolf
Golden

Hello again,

I think that I'm ready for some more difficult tasks.

1. How can I rename my own level?

2. Is there a way to change the starting equipment(weapons, ammo,flares)?

3.If you find three secrets you get a reward. How can I change the reward and or even get a reward for finding all three secrets?

4. I want to add soundtracks into the game. Is there a list with the order of soundtracks somewhere? As base level I use an original level from the cd. For playing I use the TR2Golddemo

@Danath

You said there is a method to have music without the cd. Can you tell me more about this
Old 21-09-17, 19:34   #125
Danath

Smile

Hi thewolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
1. How can I rename my own level?
2. Is there a way to change the starting equipment(weapons, ammo,flares)?
3.If you find three secrets you get a reward. How can I change the reward and or even get a reward for finding all three secrets?
4. I want to add soundtracks into the game. Is there a list with the order of soundtracks somewhere? As base level I use an original level from the cd. For playing I use the TR2Golddemo
For these tasks, you need to edit the game script, that's called tombpc.dat.
There is a great modern tool for that purpose, here: TR Level Utility
It's very easy to use, don't worry.
When you have it running, you load the script that is on the data folder of your working demo from the "Home" tab.

1- Renaming: Go to "Script Tombpc" tab, and below it, the "Levels" tab. Then it's as simple as clicking on the level name and rewriting it. You can also alter the filename (.TR2) that you want to use for the game, by default the demo uses "Level1.tr2" so you have to set it to whatever name you have chosen when compiling on Dxtre, if you don't use the demo or original level.

2- Change equipment: I have been trying this myself recently. From the Script TombPC main tab, go to the "Script" subtab. There you can find the contents for each level. The commands are at the bottom right.
This is how i have ordered it for my current level:

If you want to alter the starting items, you need to place those commands before the "Start level" command. In my case i wanted the player to not have anything when starting, so i placed no weapons and then no ammo/medipacks.
For giving Lara items, you need to use the "StartInv" command and chose which object, one at a time. You can copy/paste a command, and move it up or down the list with the buttons.

3- Secrets: You also edit that in the "Script" subtab. Again, you need to place the command before the "Start Level" otherwise it won't work. I place the bonus items commands after the soundtrack command and before the inventory commands, that way it works perfect. I ommited it from the above screenshot otherwise it would be a spoiler.

4- Soundtrack: In TR2 you can only have 1 background music file looping, sadly. When you place a music to play on a certain spot/situation with triggers then it will return to the ambient track.
To change the ambient track you use the "Play Soundtrack" command at the beginning of the list as you can see above. I haven't found a list of the music numbers/ID's, and sadly they are not the same as the ones on the CD. To know which number is which track i used triggers on the map with the "play soundtrack" command and gave them different track numbers each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
@Danath
You said there is a method to have music without the cd. Can you tell me more about this
Yeah sure! To achieve that you have to place some files on the demo folder. The simplest way is downloading a TR2 level from trle.net that already uses these files and then replace its level files and script with your own ones. You'll know which ones use this music method because they weigh more than 40MB, one of them is Drilling Site.
Dont' forget to change/delete the readme file!
A problem with the modified .exe this method uses is that there's a bug with ceiling collision. For solving that you have to use the german .exe version that you can get here: Thread. The setup screen and in-game control setup will be in german, though.

Good luck with your levels, it's so good to see more TR2 maps being made.
Old 23-09-17, 12:11   #126
thewolf
Golden

Phew, got the levelutility and the sound with no cd to work . Took me a bit , but in the end I made it. Thank's a lot , you are my hero . Now I have to find out which soundtrack number is which track.
Old 23-09-17, 17:51   #127
Danath

Thumbs up

Great! I'm glad if i can help others with building.
Old 27-09-17, 18:36   #128
DJ Full

One quick question: do custom sprites really have to be the same size as the original ones?
Or is there some way to bypass this? It feels like there should be...
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-17, 20:14   #129
Danath

When i was making the secret statuette sprites for my levelset i had to resize the tga size to an exact value otherwise TRViewer didn't let me import with an error message. :\
Old 28-09-17, 09:14   #130
DJ Full

That sounds like the most nonsense limit :\

Alright I'll make them the same size
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote