Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
no idea, my ps3 is the kind that's not backwards compatible anyway
What's the model of your PS3?
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-18, 12:19   #13
fallenangle

I thought all PS3 were supposed to be backwards compatible with PS1 games. That's why I was surprised to read there were problems with TR2. It was the backwards compatibility with PS2 games that was removed in later versions of the PS3.

I'm with TombRaiderTim on this - I swore I'd not forsake my PS (and DC) TR versions as I still have working PS1/PS2 and DC consoles. But since I've had a PC capable of playing them I've gone almost PC TR version exclusive for very much the same reasons TombRaiderTim describes: better graphics and convenience. I can have any of them up and running in <30 seconds as they're installed with no need for the original discs which, BTW, I do own.

The PC versions of TR2 - TR5 are so easy to get working even on modern systems and using a PS1/2 Dualshock + USB adapter mapped as for the PS they play almost identically.

I'd even be tempted to suggest in a case like that which provoked this thread to go the PC emulator way with the PS versions. A PS emulator like ePSXe can get some games running and certainly looking better than they do on the original hardware. I've not tried with TR2 but it might be worth looking into if OzzyOreo still has problems with it on his PS3.

Last edited by fallenangle; 20-09-18 at 12:22.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-18, 15:26   #14
ozzman

i say just get the PS3 Downloadable version
ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-18, 20:50   #15
dcw123

My only issue with the PC versions is that the health bars and ammo count are tiny..

I also have an issue where sometimes if I press Select for Inventory while jumping or in combat - my laptop will go to my Start Screen (Win 8, the one with all the coloured squares like Windows Phone has)

I turned off all Sticky Keys and Hot Keys, yet it still happens.. and of course, since the game is still technically running in the background - it gets me killed

Also, is it me - or are the PC versions easier? I know TR1 removed some enemies and changed some around but the differences were only very slight IIRC
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-18, 11:37   #16
Dustie

Arsunt's patch adds PS1 style bars to the PC version.

As for the Start Screen hot key it might be configured in some sort of per-installed software from your laptop's manufacturers (bloatware) or otherwise someplace else in Windows 8 control panel. I'm almost 100% sure there is always a way to switch that off. Perhaps there is a setting for it in the BIOS, though I doubt that. You might want to look up the issue online.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-18, 16:26   #17
fallenangle

PC version easier? Unarguably true for TR3 as you have the save anywhere option on PC rather than the save crystals you are forced to use on PS. That's what makes the PS version of TR3 more difficult not the actual game content.

But TR2 (4 & 5 too) on both PC and PS are save anywhere as well.
Old 21-09-18, 19:32   #18
Peixoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
My only issue with the PC versions is that the health bars and ammo count are tiny..

I also have an issue where sometimes if I press Select for Inventory while jumping or in combat - my laptop will go to my Start Screen (Win 8, the one with all the coloured squares like Windows Phone has)

I turned off all Sticky Keys and Hot Keys, yet it still happens.. and of course, since the game is still technically running in the background - it gets me killed

Also, is it me - or are the PC versions easier? I know TR1 removed some enemies and changed some around but the differences were only very slight IIRC

What kind of witchcraft is that? I wonder.

BTW, i know it is TR3
Peixoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 10:58   #19
Greatest TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
PC version easier? Unarguably true for TR3 as you have the save anywhere option on PC rather than the save crystals you are forced to use on PS. That's what makes the PS version of TR3 more difficult not the actual game content.

But TR2 (4 & 5 too) on both PC and PS are save anywhere as well.
Defeat the purpose, makes the game far too easy and no serious challenges, limited save crystal like Tomb Raider 1 is a better option.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-18, 14:04   #20
fallenangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
Defeat the purpose, makes the game far too easy and no serious challenges, limited save crystal like Tomb Raider 1 is a better option.
The save crystal system in TR1 was thought out much better and for me, on first playthrough, getting to the next save crystal and deciding whether to use it was an important and, most significantly, an enjoyable element in the gameplay.

Can't agree with you about TR3 - the notion that on the PC it is "...far too easy and no serious challenges" by being able to save anywhere is just wrong. It is still a very tough game, much tougher than TR2 which, as said, has save anywhere on both platforms.

Where the gameplay mistake was made was in leaving the crystals in the PC version and, worse, making them HP restore points. That clearly was not well thought out - you just shouldn't need them for that purpose. If you're playing the game, disciplining yourself so you only save at that those points, it makes it as hard, arguably harder than the PS version but the unwanted HP top up gets in the way of doing that too.

There is a PC version hack to remove the crystals entirely for those very reasons.

On PS the lack of save opportunities ramps the difficulty up to the point frustration and that is, I believe, a key reason why there was at the time and ever since real dislike for TR3 as the game that caused the decline of the franchise.

Even now when I know the game well and can run around for hours not saving at all I would not want to do a no medipak or even more challenging no scratch run on the PS version of TR3 because of the save crystals. It simply would not be any fun - there is enough forced repetition in such a challenge without having to repeat the simple stuff again and again to get to the difficult point.

I hate that sort of thing anyway in all games where checkpoints or save points force you to repeat several easier areas.