Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 05-10-18, 04:53   #11
Rai

I don't know if there was ever meant to be something more meaningful to the necklace, beyond it being Lara's first find aged 5, but maybe when researching Himiko's myth, they decided to use that as the basis of the design. Lara's specialty is meant to be Japanese history, may be it was just a nice connection they went with. As for the staff, I can see a similarity in the shape, once again, maybe during their research they decided it worked. Also, it may not be a connection at all, but if the bird on Himiko's hat is a Phoenix, which symbolises rebirth, perhaps choosing Himiko became a symbol of the first game overall, meaning the reboot and Lara's own rebirth of sorts not just as a character, but from student to survivor.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 11:09   #12
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Kind of like how every other goon is an exact replica of one or more in the immediate vicinity! I'd call it easy to design more than layered or nuanced imagery storytelling. This is Crystal Dynamics we're talking about here. They couldn't make a video game to tell the ABC's without it getting horrendously off course and led astray into utter incoherent nonsense. It'd be real pretty though!
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 17:11   #13
Maverin

Cool! Didn't know about that one either. I always found it a little odd that Trinity randomly became important in the second game while their was barely any mention of them in the first. (only a small dialogue saying something like 'Trinity is here' if my memory serves me right).
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 17:25   #14
MilkShakespear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleMouse View Post
This was the painting, do I remember right?

Yeah, as Amunet said, it's a magatama. I guess we can say that Lara's necklace could also be a (fancy) magatama.
I wonder if there was more to it during development, by the way. Can it contain a soul, and then pass on its power to the owner? Is that the legend? I should read more about it. ^^' Sam had one at some point... It's a shame that they reduced it to a simple jewel for Lara in the end, and then they attached a childhood memory to it. Ugh. I mean it looks cool, I like it, but it could've been something actually meaningful and useful as well.

I'm not sure about the Trinity symbol though.

Holy @#$ Good find! Necklace and Trinity staff. WOW. I want to know more. I want all of it to wrap up into a nice tidy package! Himiko's power + Divine Source + Dagger and Box = Alien artifacts? Atlantean artifacts, derived from Alien materials? Was Trinity the first to discover Atlantis? Is THAT the true history of the earth, as Anna refers to it when she first joined Trinity?
MilkShakespear is offline   Reply With Quote