www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-10-18, 19:54   #71
Portugalraider
Archaeologist

Can I just say that Steam users do this to any game when publishers do something to that game players don't like, and, if the game was well initially received by users like SotTR was, they start reviewing the game negatively as a sort of protest?

Same thing happen to GTA when mods were banned and to Skyrim when paid mods were a thing. To many other games as well.

People are protesting the price drop, the new bugs from the latest patch, not the game itself. That is all.
Old 20-10-18, 20:27   #72
Vaskito
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Can I just say that Steam users do this to any game when publishers do something to that game players don't like, and, if the game was well initially received by users like SotTR was, they start reviewing the game negatively as a sort of protest?

Same thing happen to GTA when mods were banned and to Skyrim when paid mods were a thing. To many other games as well.

People are protesting the price drop, the new bugs from the latest patch, not the game itself. That is all.
Exactly. Gta V has mixed user reviews as well
Old 20-10-18, 20:33   #73
LaraCroftSotTR
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Can you, like, speak for yourself?... You're not the voice of a nation and you're definitely not objective nor factual.

Shadow is exactly what I expected the third entry of the reboot era to be. An expansion of previously established mechanics, the continuation and conclusion of the storyline, new tricks and toys, and fixes on previous issues (more exploration, deadlier tombs, no white ledge, etc.).
I personally wasn't "sick" of the formula. I still believe it has potential, if done right, though I also expect Open World to be the next step. Shadow isn't perfect, but it's definitely not as bad and broken as certain games released in the past.

I support the game because according to my definitions, expectations and the other franchises I've played in the past, it was good enough for me. My only issue is the lack of chapter replay which killed the replayability for me, that's all.

So your "people are sick of it" and "Shadow isn't what they promised" is completely untrue. You could argue that the execution of "becoming the Tomb Raider" felt weak, but it still happened.
Pretty much this from me too. Thx
LaraCroftSotTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 23:54   #74
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Can you, like, speak for yourself?... You're not the voice of a nation and you're definitely not objective nor factual.

Shadow is exactly what I expected the third entry of the reboot era to be. An expansion of previously established mechanics, the continuation and conclusion of the storyline, new tricks and toys, and fixes on previous issues (more exploration, deadlier tombs, no white ledge, etc.).
I personally wasn't "sick" of the formula. I still believe it has potential, if done right, though I also expect Open World to be the next step. Shadow isn't perfect, but it's definitely not as bad and broken as certain games released in the past.

I support the game because according to my definitions, expectations and the other franchises I've played in the past, it was good enough for me. My only issue is the lack of chapter replay which killed the replayability for me, that's all.

So your "people are sick of it" and "Shadow isn't what they promised" is completely untrue. You could argue that the execution of "becoming the Tomb Raider" felt weak, but it still happened.
What a stupid thing to say. Am I speaking for someone else suddenly? I find your usual statements like this so pompous that it's hard to put into words, and I'm just too tired and bored to try. People are sick of it, and there's a bunch of them here on this forum. If you read the comments all over the internet, people all over are clearly sick of it. Also, when you know that statement isn't about you, why do you take such offense to it? Is it because you refuse to believe that other people might actually be sick of it?

That's lovely that you had a good experience and that it is exactly what you expect the third entry to be. I don't share those same views at all, and I'm not the only one. Shadow still didn't deliver on what it promised though, so I don't know why you would even deny that. Were you in a coma during the marketing campaign or are you just choosing to look the other way?
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 00:25   #75
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
What a stupid thing to say. Am I speaking for someone else suddenly? I find your usual statements like this so pompous that it's hard to put into words, and I'm just too tired and bored to try. People are sick of it, and there's a bunch of them here on this forum. If you read the comments all over the internet, people all over are clearly sick of it. Also, when you know that statement isn't about you, why do you take such offense to it? Is it because you refuse to believe that other people might actually be sick of it?

That's lovely that you had a good experience and that it is exactly what you expect the third entry to be. I don't share those same views at all, and I'm not the only one. Shadow still didn't deliver on what it promised though, so I don't know why you would even deny that. Were you in a coma during the marketing campaign or are you just choosing to look the other way?
So all these people that are sick of it appointed you to be their messenger? How many of them have actually played the game?
Old 21-10-18, 00:46   #76
Vaskito
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
So all these people that are sick of it appointed you to be their messenger? How many of them have actually played the game?
Also, his argument it works the exact opposite way around as well. Just like there are people disliking it, etc, there are those who like it, and it’s not only Isaac, like he’s trying to make it out to be
Old 21-10-18, 00:57   #77
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
I am just observing what's happening. I don't know why you're so ****ing offended by it. Anyone can tell, you just have to stop being so damn ignorant.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 01:02   #78
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I am just observing what's happening. I don't know why you're so ****ing offended by it. Anyone can tell, you just have to stop being so damn ignorant.
Sushi taste bad. I never eat sushi in my life but I know it taste bad.
Old 21-10-18, 01:20   #79
charmedangelin
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post

Very true, I'm still encountering really annoying bugs in this game and so are a lot of people. The reviews that aren't review bombs also complain about the story which I agree.

In my opinion Shadow needs more time in oven because it wasn't fully done yet, but I wish they had made so many changes to the story.

The story is what really kills it for me. In terms of Reboot I feel like TR13 had the best story. At least in my personal opinion, everything was so fleshed out.

The only problem with TR13 is the fact that they changed the ending. I wish they wouldn't have cowered out to the few people they showed the game to and took a risk with the story. IMO it would have paid off in spades had all of her friends died and could have made Shadow a better game IMO.

Anyway besides all of this I just hope Sqeenix gets the message, if they're even listening that is.
Old 21-10-18, 01:23   #80
Horus-Goddess
Professor

If Legends played the game would you take his criticisms more seriously? I highly doubt it. You'll just say he's biased. Which to be fair he is, a bit, but that doesn't mean his observations are false either. I played Shadow and am just as unimpressed. Yes there were gameplay improvements and I do honestly appreciate the effort, but imo its failures ruined it for me. Even aside from the bugs.

I've seen just as many criticisms as praise for this game, and I think it's impossible to tell what the real consensus is. Still, if sales end up being lackluster and reviews keep going down, it doesn't spell out the greatest outcome for the game.

My opinion is that they will need to go back to the drawing board as far as gameplay mechanics go. Get rid of the RPG elements, if they're going to stick with less combat then build the game around that being the primary focus rather than combat etc etc. I don't see people continuing to come back to this series if it holds on to this formula (which is very dependant on "current" trends or was built that way in 2013). Not that I want to see it morph into something even further away from what TR is meant to be, but realisitically it is getting samey right now. Games seem to be moving on to open world full-blown RPG even where it wasn't originally intended, I wouldn't be surprised if they build TR to be like that in the future. If not for the sake of following current trends, for the sake of all that juicy microtransaction money.