www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 17-10-18, 13:31   #11
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyMac12 View Post
It's a learning curve for sure to see Lara always sassy in the old games, but have multiple sides to her in the new games.
Except for when she wasn't... people always forget this and think of Core's Lara as very flat and one dimensional.
I love the sassiness, but she had her other moments too. Mainly TR4/5 though.

Like when she tried to rescue the Russian Submarine Captain in TRC.
Or her friendship with Yves in TR4.

About Shadow - I also agree that she seemed to regress back into her 2013/Rise self and it was a little disheartening for me... Lara is meant to be stronger now!
I don't want to see her crying like a baby..

Sure, show emotion - but I think they went overboard again.
I liked the way she was in the opening segments more.. she was confident.
You can have confidence, and still be upset or scared.
For some reason, they can't get that mix right - everything is to the extreme and in your face obvious - Look guys! Lara is crying so she's upset! OMGZ

Whatever happened to subtle
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 13:36   #12
\Tomb Raider/
Archaeologist

I think you guys are expecting way too much. People can feel confident about what they’re doing but also have doubts along the way. Things can become overwhelming sometimes. I think Lara’s character was staying true to how strong and confident she has become even if she needed a bit of a push from Jonah. She human.

The classics, yeah she was sassy and had a small moment with the captain from that submarine but the only missing was better dialogue and more emotions. It was a bit flat. Still loved it but it felt like lara was still being sassy and over time I just expected her to talk to anyone with a sarcastic tone.
Old 17-10-18, 14:16   #13
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Right she never wasn't Rise Lara, that's the problem.

There were little flashes of Lara-isms (by "Lara-isms" I mean something classic Lara might do/say) here and there. The part where she lost her **** after Jonah "died" is the stand out part. Then as soon as it came... it was gone again, and she was back to the same level of character development she had at the beginning of Rise (which was already a regression from what she was at the end of 2013 too).

Still missing Lara's pizzazz and charm dahling

I simply don't know her.
Yes, dahling. (Some) People talk about it like it's a huge difference from Rise to Shadow.
Sure!... suuure... *in Rachel's voice*

Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 14:20   #14
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Yes, dahling. (Some) People talk about it like it's a huge difference from Rise to Shadow.
Sure!... suuure... *in Rachel's voice*

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/1powb3YF60TBmsIq6C/giphy.gif[IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Tomb Raider/ View Post
I think you guys are expecting way too much. People can feel confident about what they’re doing but also have doubts along the way. Things can become overwhelming sometimes. I think Lara’s character was staying true to how strong and confident she has become even if she needed a bit of a push from Jonah. She human.

The classics, yeah she was sassy and had a small moment with the captain from that submarine but the only missing was better dialogue and more emotions. It was a bit flat. Still loved it but it felt like lara was still being sassy and over time I just expected her to talk to anyone with a sarcastic tone.
In ways I kind of agree, I've said before I don't expect an overnight dramatic difference, and I also do accept the criticism that classic Lara needed more emotion and fleshing out. I just think when we've had little to no discernible character development over two whole games (any that did happen only lasted 5 minutes), it's pretty bad. I also think it's just too much all the time in terms of angsty self-doubt and emotions, and too much reliance on Jonah. She shouldn't still be there now as she's "becoming the Tomb Raider", she should be mostly past that.

I think the goal should always have been to slowly turn her into a recogniseable take on Lara. 2013 actually made a good start at that, it left that Lara in a good place at the end of the game, then Rise and Shadow undermined it. Had they given her sustained character development over the three games properly I'd feel very different about this reboot.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-10-18 at 14:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 14:35   #15
Grimaldi
Professor

I did think Lara feeling guilty again was fatiguing, especially hearing her exclaim “it’s all my fault” at campfires, but I thought her personality was consistent and enjoyable this time. I loved her confident, softly mischievous encouraging of Unuratu, everything from “don’t try me” to her rampage scene, her lighter side when playing along with the children and Manu in San Juan. She just felt more human than she did in Rise, more like her TR13 self, but with a touch more maturity.
Old 17-10-18, 14:45   #16
Pyro99
Archaeologist

*couldn't care less, not could. but i didn't feel that way, human beings aren't just ONE thing, Lara just lost her "good mood" after like... dooming the world
Old 17-10-18, 15:50   #17
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

In ways I kind of agree, I've said before I don't expect an overnight dramatic difference, and I also do accept the criticism that classic Lara needed more emotion and fleshing out. I just think when we've had little to no discernible character development over two whole games (any that did happen only lasted 5 minutes), it's pretty bad. I also think it's just too much all the time in terms of angsty self-doubt and emotions, and too much reliance on Jonah. She shouldn't still be there now as she's "becoming the Tomb Raider", she should be mostly past that.

I think the goal should always have been to slowly turn her into a recogniseable take on Lara. 2013 actually made a good start at that, it left that Lara in a good place at the end of the game, then Rise and Shadow undermined it. Had they given her sustained character development over the three games properly I'd feel very different about this reboot.
Exactly.. the ending was so awesome "I'm not going home"
The way she said it gave me chills.

Rise and Shadow felt like a step back in some ways.
She shouldn't have to rely on others to push her forwards either... your right

Also, I F'ing love that GIF of Rachel and Ross - I remember that scene so well hahaa
"NOoooo.. You hang up" LOL
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 16:55   #18
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
It's not like Lara's a completely different character from game to game. She has many sides to her. She has moments of doubt, moments of clarity and confidence (she was in her element in that cave/tomb, for instance. Also moments of being completely relaxed and at ease, usually with Jonah, her loyal friend, times in needing a bit of a nudge in confidence and other times when she was the one convincing others. She could be brutal, but that doesn't mean she lacks compassion, even for someone who was effectively her enemy. She did struggle with her conscience at times, that was part of her character arc in this game. And I do think she had doubts on what she was doing, if they would succeed. Even Jonah seems equally downbeat when they're not sure they're on the right track. It sets a tone for story purposes, but it's not Lara having a personality change as such, imo.

I can't recall a time while playing where I thought oh this is is Rise Lara, she's just Lara Croft, with many sides, to me. If I make a distinction between Rise/Shadow or TR'13 Lara is because I want to be clear which adventure she's on, which stage of development she's in, not because I see her as a different personality in each one.
I agree overall. However, my main complaint with how reboot Lara grew throughout the trilogy is that it didn’t feel as noticeable as it could or should be. I feel like you (generally) have to go looking for these changes. There is definitely a difference between what she was like at the end of TR2013 and what she was like at the end of Shadow, but I still don’t feel dazzled as if she had changed so, so much across the three games. This is the issue for me.

Was I expecting her to magically change into classic Lara by the end of Shadow? No, not at all. But I was admittedly expecting a bigger change in personality by the end of her origin story, maybe something with more similarities to classic Lara. Some of those similarities being a more reckless attitude and even occasionally laughing in the face of death or danger because she’s so confident in her abilities (and luck ).

All that said though, I do still feel like she came a long way, and I hope we will get to see some changes and differences in her character in the next game, as a sign of her growth.
Old 17-10-18, 17:03   #19
Mr GaGa
Relic Hunter

It's all paititis fault
Old 17-10-18, 18:02   #20
DOPE
Relic Hunter

I said it on here when I finished Shadow that they might as well have put the ending of Rise in it and viceversa and I wouldn't have noticed; Lara's character development in Rise was little to none and in Shadow it started promising and died 1/3 through only to come back during the Oil Refinery level for a brief time (my favorite Reboot Lara's moment) and that was it. It's my biggest disappointment, they could have done much more with her to give her subtle character traits of Classic Lara (and I don't care for shorts or braid or duals to be clear because to me she's more than that) but they wasted that opportunity. I love Shadow to death anyway but Lara's grand tomb raider moment just wasn't there (mind you I did like the overall story because the legend they explored got me hooked).
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote