www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-10-18, 14:30   #21
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Lara needs to go to China...thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Old 18-10-18, 14:31   #22
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Can a country even ban it's own appearance in media though?

They can ban the game in the country.

Every game with a North/South Korea war was banned in South Korea for a bit.

China banned the original splinter cell due to having a Chinese General as an antagonist (Ignoring the fact he was rogue) they also banned Operation Flashpoint Red River for having the PLA as antagonists without toning-down the USMC's reaction to that like the previous game.

German hates any game with Nazi's or swastikas so pretty much every ww2 game over there is censored.

I think Mexico tried to ban Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter due to the game being about an uprising in Mexico. (Actual Mexican gamers apparently actually loved the fact a game was set in their own country.)

They can still release the game in every other country though.

Last edited by Samz; 18-10-18 at 14:35.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 15:36   #23
Aikon
Historian

Personally I would like a more modern setting without the influence of an ancient society and supernatural stuff just to make something different than the usual tropes.
I would have loved to explore London in RotTR for example!

I would also like something in Japan/Egypt/France/Poland.
But as long as it makes sense from a discovery perspective I'll be fine with whatever setting they choose.
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 16:14   #24
DOPE
Relic Hunter

Keeping in mind that I want globetrotting back, yes I'd like that. Mostly because it's rarely explored in games (MGSV was set there, right?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
German hates any game with Nazi's or swastikas so pretty much every ww2 game over there is censored.
IICR that ban has been recently lifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
I would have loved to explore London in RotTR for example!
I'm still pissed about that Imagine a level set at night in a rainy and foggy London where we need to infiltrate a building (corporation, museum) to get an artifact or data about its location I hope one day they'll take inspiration from AOD thriller-ish atmosphere.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 16:28   #25
Grizzly Bear
Explorer

I would like something based on Buddhism as you said, but I don't think Afghanistan is the best option for that...
China would be great, or India too! Imagine some amazing temples and tombs in the jungle (but now that I think about it, maybe after Shadow they won't go back to the jungle in next game).
Grizzly Bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 16:33   #26
Mutant Messiah
Student

Metal Gear Solid, Phantom Pain has Afghanistan as its setting and its boring.

Though I think it was deliberately toned down in design to achieve the PS4's 60fps target.

Crystal Dynamics has proven that it can create a gorgeous desert setting. Case in point -- Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 17:03   #27
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
Metal Gear Solid, Phantom Pain has Afghanistan as its setting and its boring.

Though I think it was deliberately toned down in design to achieve the PS4's 60fps target.

Crystal Dynamics has proven that it can create a gorgeous desert setting. Case in point -- Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris.
More because the map design was crap.

I love how GZ's map is actually more interesting with stuff like armouries you can raid, which is completely missing in Phantom. (Seriously where did MGS5's budget go?, it feels like GZ actually had a level designer go over it while Phantom pain was made with stock area templates.)

Because I LOOOVE having to call in and wait for a supply drop every time I want grenades/C4 mid-level.

Plus all the game-play-padding dead space with nothing to do it in.

I miss small open world's like GTA 3 and VC, where the maps were small and packed with distinct areas instead of massive bland boring areas.

Everyone wants the biggest open world, without thinking about what you can actually do it in it and how long is spent travelling along straight roads.

Even Rise somehow fell into this despite the world being rather small, simply because there was nothing but generic resource pick-ups or the odd random animal.

At most I want "Open" like the best levels of TR3 such as Costal Ruins, with multiple paths and secrets that were looked over by a designer, instead of mostly copy-pasted pathways with not even some shotgun shells hidden in a bush.

Tombs are more small-levels linked to the Open world than part of it, plus I can't be the only one who stopped bothered looking for them since
I constantly had to turn back due to "GEAR NEEDED" in Rise.

Last edited by Samz; 18-10-18 at 17:12.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 17:10   #28
FanosCroft
Archaeologist

Syria looked amazing in ROTTR so I would like it, a desertic location is all we needed in the rebootverse, I really want Rise's visuals back. We barely had "wow" moments in SOTTR and I miss that! Also, why this didn't make in into SOTTR https://www.instagram.com/p/BpCxG3nj...d=vgpjk5qw56xq ???
Old 18-10-18, 17:37   #29
Aikon
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
I'm still pissed about that Imagine a level set at night in a rainy and foggy London where we need to infiltrate a building (corporation, museum) to get an artifact or data about its location I hope one day they'll take inspiration from AOD thriller-ish atmosphere.
That would have been awesome T_T
I also agree about the thriller atmosphere.
One can hope
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 17:49   #30
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Don't know about Afghanistan specifically, but I definitely want Lara in a real desert environment with the occasional oasis, like Syria in Rise