www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 20-10-18, 01:55   #1
charmedangelin
Professor

Default Combat, better or worse?

As the title suggests, what do you think about combat?

I think combat got worse in this game. Now I can predict your reaction.

WHHAAAAAT, you were just complaining about too much combat, what is your problem? You don't even know what the hell you want? Your a freaking troll.

Now with that out of the way let me respond and make myself clear, I feel the combat got worse because I feel like they went too far in the other direction. Combat has always been a part of TR there is no doubt about that, and I absolutely despised the awful battle sections in TR13 and Rise.

I am delighted that there is less combat in the game, it really needed to be toned down.

Having said that however I feel like the pendulum swooped into the exact opposite direction. While I wanted less combat, I didn't want a near combatless experience.

And this is due to the fact that combat hasn't changed, Combat still relies on battles sections. The only difference in Shadow is the fact that the battle sections have been significantly reduced in number and they are significantly smaller in size.

What they should have done was scatter enemies about the map so that when your playing the game your always getting a little taste of something. They added so many combat abilities and fun ways to actually engage in combat, but then there is barely any of it.

Now I am not at all, not one single little bit interested in going back to TR13 and Rise, like I said that combat was freaking awful as well to me, but I would have liked to have a few more situations to test out some of the weapons I have.

Most of this could have been fixed if they didn't just rely on human enemies mostly and actually had other things trying to kill Lara like Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Wolfs, Insects, ect ect.

They really should have mixed up the combat and not make it exclusive to sections so that your always getting a taste of everything.

Hopefully in the next game they will balance combat correctly so that it isn't over bearing like in TR13 and Rise, but it isn't also as absent as it is in Shadow. I really liked that first section where you could swim around underwater and pick enemies off with that ominous music.

Do you agree with me?
Old 20-10-18, 01:57   #2
SoraSakai

The combat is better but there's too little of it.

I wasn't one of the people who complained about other games having too much btw.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 02:01   #3
AntRaidsTombs
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post

I wasn't one of the people who complained about other games having too much btw.
I agree with all of this, the combat was much better and they made Trinity much tougher even on normal mode. I didnít ask for less enemies either, but I didnít have a problem with them not having so many. Hopefully they will add more in later updates/DLC.
Old 20-10-18, 02:29   #4
veigafd
Explorer

The combat feels the same of rise, or a little worse actually.
There's something about shadow and rise that doesn't look right compared to 2013 when enemies are shooting at you. In 2013 you could like feel that you're gonna die seeing the shots coming at you, but in rise and shadow it's like the shots are magically appearing on you out of nowhere.
Also, the enemy ai on stealth continue the same as rise, really really dumb.
Back in shadow's speculation, there was some sites saying that the game would have a predator meter that somehow isn't present in the final build.
And to me shadow stealth seems more dumbed down than rise, and I suppose it's because in rise the enemies either see you instantly and magically you could never go away from them and get back on stealth, or they were all blind asking to be killed.
Another problem that I've despised on shadow was that the only finisher you could use is the double axe takedown. I hate when games take out features like that, that doesn't make sense to take out in the first place.
Idk if they plan to release the guns finishers as the extra dlc but who knows; Ican't think of any skill worth making as dlc right now.
Another thing is about the wolves on this game. In 2013 and rise they all acted the same, you could see an actual animation of them before attacking you. But in shadow they're just get close and down you instantly and keep close to you until you get up and them repeat the process.
Also, the meele attacks on humans sometimes feels like a gambling through the start of middle game, except if you get that tomb skill. Which is frustating cause at this rate you should think that Lara would be a decent fighter.
Old 20-10-18, 02:33   #5
Skye1288
Student

I agree. (except I liked TR2013 and RoTTR combat)

I just replay TR2 and.. yeah combat was always part of TR. You have the double pistols, the shotgun, the automatic pistols, the uzis, the M16, the grenade launcher and finally the harpoon gun.

You wouldn't have all these weapons if the combat wasn't a main element of the game.

Plus sometimes I felt like there was so many enemies (as much as in TR13). Like one time you have 6 yetis coming at you lol.
I think that's important to point out that one enemy in TR 1-5 is not the same as one enemy in TR13. Now you can easily one shot an enemy. It's almost like 3/4 enemy now was like 1 in previous TR.

Anyway, I think they should have keep the same amount of fight as RoTTR (or just a little less) but just put a lot more tombs in the main path. And make them big and all explorable.
The problem wasn't the amount of fight but the lack of tombs, big (nested) puzzle and mandatory exploration

They could also make combat more interesting by mixing combat and platforming. Like if there would be some combat in this photo:

Last edited by Skye1288; 20-10-18 at 02:36.
Skye1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 02:35   #6
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post

I agree with this. The combat was better and the stealth sections were very nice. I never complained about combat in previous games and I thought Rise balanced it perfectly. Would love to see hand to hand combat too.
iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 04:26   #7
charmedangelin
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1288 View Post
They could also make combat more interesting by mixing combat and platforming. Like if there would be some combat in this photo:

[IMG]https://i.postimg.cc/SK7Y5JLy/44237935-1960732044005920-899579547232501760-n.jpg[IMG]
I can see her getting attacked by birds or some kind of flying entity. Would have been cool if she could hold onto a zip line or a rope with one hand while shooting with the other. Perhaps should could swing into an enemy and do a backflip off of them to stagger them and then execute a sick kill move on them.

Also where is this from? I love the weather and wish we had more disturbing weather in Shadow. The game was just too clean for it to be set in the apocalypse.
Old 20-10-18, 04:52   #8
RodneyMac12
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1288 View Post
I agree. (except I liked TR2013 and RoTTR combat)

I just replay TR2 and.. yeah combat was always part of TR. You have the double pistols, the shotgun, the automatic pistols, the uzis, the M16, the grenade launcher and finally the harpoon gun.

You wouldn't have all these weapons if the combat wasn't a main element of the game.

Plus sometimes I felt like there was so many enemies (as much as in TR13). Like one time you have 6 yetis coming at you lol.
I think that's important to point out that one enemy in TR 1-5 is not the same as one enemy in TR13. Now you can easily one shot an enemy. It's almost like 3/4 enemy now was like 1 in previous TR.

Anyway, I think they should have keep the same amount of fight as RoTTR (or just a little less) but just put a lot more tombs in the main path. And make them big and all explorable.
The problem wasn't the amount of fight but the lack of tombs, big (nested) puzzle and mandatory exploration

2013 had a satisfying combat system in a way. It wasn't too complex nor minimal. It was just right for a Tomb Raider game (besides the punching and kicking of course)
Old 20-10-18, 12:40   #9
Pyro99
Archaeologist

The combat is a better amount for a TR game, but much worse in quality. Like, TR2013 had a ton of head-on combat, Rise had a ton of combat that was 99% possible to be completed in stealth, but Shadow gave us a very limited amount of combat (which I didn't mind), but very poorly designed. We got a lot of new moves and abilities that we pretty much get to use once, the level design of the combat areas is very inconvenient, and the AI actually seemed dumber than the Rise enemies.
Old 20-10-18, 13:00   #10
Grimaldi
Professor

Itís a mixed bag. I actually enjoyed it a lot, the emphasis on stealth and Lara knifing dudes was right up my street, but itís so infrequent that you donít get to enjoy it, or much of the new mechanics, as much as youíd like.

Itís the only reboot game that needed more combat.