Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 15-05-16, 17:30   #1
jackraider
Inactive

Default Best settings and way(s) to play TRIII on PC...

Okay, so I have the gog versions 1-3. III works the best generally, but all are playable. I have a couple technical issues w/ III that maybe someone could help me resolve?

First, the FMVs for PC versions have scanlines. Where can I download HD quality FMV's for TR1-3 and replace them w/ the originals?

Secondly, I play in 1920 x 1080 resolution on my HDTV. If I use lower resolutions the menu text, health bar, etc is all cut off the screen. Not a big issue except at this high resolution Lara is extremely wide. I know the PS3 version uses a different aspect ratio, which is why Lara appears more taller and thin. Anyway I can get that ratio without the black bars on the side of my screen (and menu text/ health bar cutting off?) Maybe a widescreen patch?

And last, for TR2 when switching to play FMV's the screen flickers a bit, and it plays (with those ugly scan-lines mind you), but it plays with a winxp type border displayed at the top of screen. I don't even have XP compatibility mode on. It's not a huge problem, but wondering if there is a fix.

Also, is there a patch to get save crystals in PC version?

Last edited by jackraider; 15-05-16 at 18:32.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-16, 19:45   #2
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
First, the FMVs for PC versions have scanlines. Where can I download HD quality FMV's for TR1-3 and replace them w/ the originals?
I don't think you'll find true HD quality versions of the FMVs anywhere. I doubt higher resolution FMVs were ever released in any versions of the games, so unless some ex-Core employee was wise enough to keep higher res renders of the FMVs and have leaked them or something I doubt it.
I think I've seen some fan project around where they were restoring and uspcaling the FMVs to higher resolution to make them look better on modern HD displays. I think I saw a thread about it in the TR2 section or something, but not sure. Not sure where you can get hold of them though. I'm sure someone else knows though.

EDIT:
Here's that thread from the TR2 section about restoring the FMVs: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=208971

Quote:
Secondly, I play in 1920 x 1080 resolution on my HDTV. If I use lower resolutions the menu text, health bar, etc is all cut off the screen. Not a big issue except at this high resolution Lara is extremely wide. I know the PS3 version uses a different aspect ratio, which is why Lara appears more taller and thin. Anyway I can get that ratio without the black bars on the side of my screen (and menu text/ health bar cutting off?) Maybe a widescreen patch?
I know there is a widescreen patch for the PC versions of TR2/TR3. If you take a look at Stella's Tomb Raider site I believe you'll find a link to where you can download it or something.

EDIT: http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html

Quote:
Also, is there a patch to get save crystals in PC version?
I don't think this exists (at least I've never heard of it), but I would sure love it if it did. Save Crystals ftw!

Last edited by Trenton; 15-05-16 at 20:02.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-16, 20:35   #3
jackraider
Inactive

^ I love those save crystals! TR1/ TR3 oh yeah...two of my favs.
Old 15-05-16, 21:10   #4
Trenton

Quote:
^ I love those save crystals! TR1/ TR3 oh yeah...two of my favs.
Yes! It's one of the reasons why I've never played TR1 on PC.
And whenever I play TR3 on PC it's just not the same without the save crystals. Playing the PC version feels all wrong with those tacked on green coloured 'health crystals' too.
I sure would like it if some patch took care of that or even better if Square/Crystal remaster the playstation versions of the classic trilogy for the anniversary so that we can play those versions in high resolution.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-16, 21:59   #5
jackraider
Inactive

^ agreed . Those crystals were meant for saves. Wish I still had my PSX copy. Almost ordered a used on amazon, but already ordered II twice! Both copies were scratched.
Old 17-05-16, 04:23   #6
jackraider
Inactive

As for TRIII, I got L2 and R2 mapped thanks to AHK Injector patch, but now I can't map to L3 and R3 (analog buttons). I was able to use those w/ unpatched TR3. Just wasn't able to map to L2 and R2 with unpatched. Need R3 or L2 to map flare because my controller config is used up. My PC does not read the start button on my controller.