Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 14-10-16, 06:18   #11
Sir Launcelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_2010 View Post
Well I sat down and played this some more, since I got ROTTR for PS4 the day it came out.

I'm freaking SO ANNOYED by the amount of combat. AND I suck at it, so that makes everything 100x's worse. I just replayed the same gunfight TEN TIMES and died every single attempt. Over. It.

I've really enjoyed the segments where you AREN'T in the middle of some giant gunfight (which only seems to be about 40% of the game). Seriously... HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON THIS ****ING ISLAND.

#rant
Yeah, there's a lot of combat. It can be frustrating if you are not a shooter fan.

But after a few playthroughs, you will get the hang of it.

A few tips:

Learn the dodge skills. Get Dodge Kill and this is a great way to kill enemies in cramped quarters.

Don't spray with the rifle and expect to do good. This is actually a better thing for close quarters too, since it recoils so much. The bow is actually a very effective weapon for your longer shots, especially later in the game, when it's upgraded.

Once you have the grenade launcher, learn it and use it. A couple of artfully placed grenades can REALLY cut down on those enemies at the start of a big battle. Makes it much easier to deal with the rest of them.
Sir Launcelot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 15:13   #12
benjamin_2010

I'm happy to hear ROTTR is a little less trigger happy.

Thanks for the combat tips. I guess I don't dodge that much yet. I did upgrade my axe so that I could use it in very close quarters. I just get panicky and misfire and in this game every shot is so specific... first tomb raider with manual aim only.

For reference I'm in the shanty town where you have the fire arrows and there is literally an endless array of idiots to kill. I tried figuring out where they come from but there are too many.

I gave in and decided I just need to turn the combat difficulty on Normal instead of Hard, as much as that slays me. I gotta get through the game so I can play the new one
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 15:21   #13
SrDanielPonces

Quote:

Thanks for the combat tips. I guess I don't dodge that much yet. I did upgrade my axe so that I could use it in very close quarters. I just get panicky and misfire and in this game every shot is so specific... first tomb raider with manual aim only.

For reference I'm in the shanty town where you have the fire arrows and there is literally an endless array of idiots to kill. I tried figuring out where they come from but there are too many.

I gave in and decided I just need to turn the combat difficulty on Normal instead of Hard, as much as that slays me. I gotta get through the game so I can play the new one
hard is pretty easy imo, you should go to easy
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 15:23   #14
benjamin_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
hard is pretty easy imo, you should go to easy
It's really only the ambushes that I find so challenging. Otherwise I use stealth and the bow to sneak headshots one at a time.

I've played the fire-bow ambush twenty times now on hard and can't figure it out. To me, that's ridiculous. Maybe once I'm past this area on the easier difficulty I can set it back to Hard.
Old 14-10-16, 15:29   #15
ThatSassyKid

ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-16, 15:43   #16
benjamin_2010

Okay, that works for me!! Lol. Might take me a couple tries just to remember that path. Damn that's a big area.
Old 14-10-16, 16:37   #17
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Okay, that works for me!! Lol. Might take me a couple tries just to remember that path. Damn that's a big area.
It's a hub silly!
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-16, 13:11   #18
LaraDuh

Quote:

Yeah Shanty Town is probably the most combat heavy part of the game. Just push through cause youre close to a very beautiful, amazing hub area that wont disappoint
LaraDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 06:03   #19
SamCactus101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Whoa. This is new to me. Never have I attempted to escape the Shantytown ambush, imma try this!
SamCactus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-16, 03:10   #20
Kapu

I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if you'd finished the game yet, Ben? If yes, what are your final thoughts??

I shared a lot of the same views on my first playthough. Really action packed, as you say. The so called "set-pieces" are lots of fun.

LOTS of combat, as you (and many others) have pointed out. I also died many many times, especially in the Shantytown. As others have said, it really is the most combat heavy hub. After a while you get murder fatigue. To think Lara cried after she killed that first guy.

The first of thousands...

I've played the game through four times total, I think. I finished my most recent playthrough last month. I really love this game, to put it simply. The combat becomes much easier after a second playthough, and once you "master it" you definitely feel like a pro; it's very rewarding.

I can't say I love Rise. Honestly, I wouldn't even say I like it. Like you said, the reboot doesn't exactly feel like a TR game. And for me, Rise takes that even further. The addition of side missions, tons and tons of NPCs always around, Lara being the most boring iteration of herself, and also the most irritating...it was a big disappointment for me. But that's a whole other discussion.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote