Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-08, 07:04   #1
H4RR7H

Angry WTF! Where's the 'Xbox 360 Visuals on PC' Patch?

Wasn't there supposed to be a patch for the PC version of TRA to go to current-gen graphics?
So that the owners of TRA on PC weren't "scammed of their late money"?
I'm sure I saw something about a patch that was 'promised' to PC owners when we were all amped about TRA on Xbox 360...
I think everyone has forgotten about it... Well let me refresh your memory! (if I'm right lol; please tell me if I'm just rambling )

For people who haven't seen TRA on 360: (blue = good / red = not so good...)

Yes, as everyone moans, unfortunately literally 90% of the textures are not redone and have not had shader improvements.

However, TRA 360's most noticeable graphical improvements are:

1. The Crystal Dynamics Graphic Engine's "Shadow-Map Shadow System".
So far only seen on TRL 360 and TRL PC with next-gen mode enabled.
However it is at a lower resolution and has a softer texture, as well as the lightmaps being unconsiderately placed, meaning there are only shadows in some places and many are absent where they really should be.

2. The CDGE's "Particle Cap on Water Bodies" (water has real time reflections/ripples).
Again only seen yet in TRL 360/TRL PC with next-gen enabled.
Though for some reason not on the ocean in the Egypt/Lost Island cinematics, or the Lost Valley waterfalls (exception - the waterfall hiding the entrance to Qualopec's Tomb).

3. Improved next-gen 'Fullscreen Effects' for the CDGE.
Noticeably for each area - eg:
- The Lost Valley looks way more overcast (though some might say it comes out looking worse...)
- Underwater looks like TRL underwater - better
- Egypt's visuals are more embossed creating a 'dusty' look
- Lost Island's haze/heat effects are improved considerably
etc...

4.Noticeably improved in-game character models, especially of:
- Lara
- Pierre
- Larson
& Natla.
Re-textured, re-shadered and in some cases re-modeled slightly (just heavily bump mapped all over ).

5. Improved 'wet Lara' and 'dirty Lara' skins for 'Anniversary' and 'Legend' costumes.
(much equivalent to TRL's improved wet/dirty effects on Xbox 360, which don't work with next-gen mode enabled on PC for some reason - even with version 1.2 patch).

That's what I noticed visually while playing the game at 720p on Xbox 360!

TRA on Xbox 360 does look considerably better - and I want a patch for PC really bad!!!!

(Btw I have PC TRA and Xbox 360 TRA (ditto for TRL). TRA runs fine on my pc at 1280x1024 with all graphical options full - If you have to know: Geforce 7600 GT/1GB RAM . I always look closely at the graphics in a game, and I generally know what I'm talking about! )

Lol what do you think? I really want that patch...

Last edited by H4RR7H; 25-11-08 at 21:34.
Old 06-03-08, 07:11   #2
planetcroft
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4RR7H View Post

Wasn't there supposed to be a patch for the PC version of TRA to go to current-gen graphics?
So that the owners of TRA on PC weren't "scammed of their money"?
I'm sure I saw something about a patch that was 'promised' to PC owners when we were all amped about TRA on Xbox 360...
I think everyones' forgotten about it... Well let me refresh your memory! (if I'm right lol; please tell me if I'm just rambling )
I think we were proismed. oh LOvely XBOX 360 I want that PAtch! please
Old 06-03-08, 18:17   #3
Mona Sax

No, it was never officially announced. A few members asked about the possibility of a patch, and we were told that one might be released, but that's it. We were never promised anything, it was never even hinted at. To be honest, I think you need an electron microscope to spot the difference anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 06-03-08, 18:31   #4
UNDERTAKER

There aint much difference between the PS2 and 360 visuals really. Not worth getting all upset.
Old 06-03-08, 18:54   #5
[Xmas]

I agree that there ain't much differences between PC and XBOX 360 versions,
but XBOX 360 looks still better than PC version. And that's bad .
Old 06-03-08, 19:02   #6
Nenya awakens
Golden

really? i thought pc versions allways looked better, or is that a myth
Old 06-03-08, 19:05   #7
[Xmas]

Yes, Legend's PC version and XBOX 360 version were identical,
but Anniversary's PC version is little different in terms of graphic...
Old 06-03-08, 19:18   #8
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenya awakens View Post
really? i thought pc versions allways looked better, or is that a myth
The PC version is always capable of better graphics. However, in the case of TRA, apparently some extra visual effects were included in the 360 version after the PC version had already been released.
Old 06-03-08, 20:03   #9
pemides

Well, the 360 version may be slightly better, but I think the biggest difference is what I call "TV effect"

Try to connect your computer to your TV screen, and it will look better than in your monitor. Even if your TV screen is not High resoution, and your monitor screen has lots more resolution than your TV screen, it will always look better in the TV IMO
Old 06-03-08, 20:12   #10
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemides View Post
Well, the 360 version may be slightly better, but I think the biggest difference is what I call "TV effect"

Try to connect your computer to your TV screen, and it will look better than in your monitor. Even if your TV screen is not High resoution, and your monitor screen has lots more resolution than your TV screen, it will always look better in the TV IMO
I tried that once. I was very disappointed. The TV was so blurry I could hardly see anything, although I suppose it might be different with a hi-def TV. In any case, I prefer sitting at the PC because it feels more cozy somehow
Closed Thread