Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 24-11-16, 13:20   #111
Tonyrobinson

I'm not sure if it's based off LAU either other than a parent is missing. I am thinking now it's probably going to be Lara searching for her father on an island and probably loosely inspired by the game. Definitely does not sound like a shared canonical universe like most people thought it'd be.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-16, 20:43   #112
the_legend

So today I read and this was official, that's basically Lara and her daddy all over again. This angers me so much. This is a movie about her family and not about riding tombs. Maybe if she has to go through tombs and all of those things to find out about him then well...but I am sceptical

Last edited by the_legend; 24-11-16 at 20:45.
the_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-16, 23:44   #113
Lyle Croft

Parent thing?
Please no. At least I hope it's like...Lara wants to go on the expedition for herself, with some small motivation on what happened to her father. Or she finds a clue that somehow relates to it.

I'm kind of sick of the parent drama honestly.
In all Universes. The first film of the TR franchise was done nicely, but yeah. But whatever her motivations were...it wasn't for her father for the most part.

I just wish Lara was disowned honestly. I find THAT more relatable, At least for me. Wanting to rebel, yeah cliché but this parent drama is just annoying. I already have enough family drama in my life.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-16, 15:01   #114
dcw123

^Urgh... Lara's parents - instantly not bothered about seeing this film now.

Seriously though, why are the modern games so focused on it?
Its such a cliche and is done to death with most videogames there days.
There must be other ways to make characters relateable?

I can see it now - 2 hours of woods and bow and arrow stunts - no tombs or artifacts to be seen *yawn*

The original TR movie and C.O.L were pretty good IMO.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-16, 15:44   #115
HRHCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
There must be other ways to make characters relateable?
I think the real question is do they have to be 'relateable' at all? Why can't they just be entertaining to watch?
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-16, 17:31   #116
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHCroft View Post
I think the real question is do they have to be 'relateable' at all? Why can't they just be entertaining to watch?
Honestly, I find the whole disownment thing more relatable.

Maybe that's just me being young and rebellious. As much as I love reboot Lara and well Lara post Aod, this parent thing really needs to stop.

Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-16, 18:24   #117
Avalon SARL

That is my whole point....

Reboot the games, we are ok so far with it...

For the movies, Just give a back story of Lara but without rebooting the TR movie universe.

To be clearer:

We know what happened to Lara's father from the first TR movie.

With this as an origin story, jut create something fresh away from Dad dy and Mommy things.

If non gamers go to watch the movie will think of Lara as some obsessed creature who had nothing to do but jut try to become God or steal his power to bring back her parent
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 01:53   #118
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
Honestly, I find the whole disownment thing more relatable.
This.

I feel like it really made a difference on Lara's character being disowned as opposed to her parents being lost/ dead. She persevered and became the person she wanted to be, even without the support of her own family. THAT is brave and inspiring.

There are a lot of people out there who also would find it inspiring. The LGBT community is one example where people don't always get approval from their parents. The fact that they stay strong and fight to be their true self is amazing.

It really frustrates me how so much of Lara's power and strength has been taken away by completely changing the parental side of her story.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 10:56   #119
ccroft2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
This.

I feel like it really made a difference on Lara's character being disowned as opposed to her parents being lost/ dead. She persevered and became the person she wanted to be, even without the support of her own family. THAT is brave and inspiring.

There are a lot of people out there who also would find it inspiring. The LGBT community is one example where people don't always get approval from their parents. The fact that they stay strong and fight to be their true self is amazing.

It really frustrates me how so much of Lara's power and strength has been taken away by completely changing the parental side of her story.
I couldn't agree more!

Lara's original disownment storyline was a far better back-story. It was indeed inspiring to do what you want to do, and not to be tied down by what is expected of you, despite the wealth she would inherit.

Surely it's far better that Lara would turn her back on her parents to do her own thing, only for her parents to die in an accident and for her then to be left with the guilt of her doing so?
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-16, 08:41   #120
Zebra

^Why even have her parents die at all? Having them be alive but is far less cheesy IMO.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote