www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 29-04-18, 22:41   #1
Mickybyrne20
Archaeologist

Default Uncharted VS Tomb Raider

So it's no secret that Tomb Raider and Uncharted have similarities, and get compared constantly. Honestly I quite enjoy the different viewpoints, and find it super interesting how they've been inspired from each other. So this thread is dedicated to that exactly.

I'd quite like to see image comparisons, various YouTube videos you can scavenge and whatnot.

Now especially SOTTR's jungle sections have been compared, and I'd like to see side-by-side.

Genuine comparisons between them would be appreciated, as I quite enjoy the discussion, or debate.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 29-04-18 at 23:08.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 23:29   #2
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I love Classic TR and Uncharted. Both are adventurous but in different ways.

Uncharted took the good bits of TR LAU and slapped more good bits onto it.

Tomb Raider has now taken those good bits and done them as well, but I feel not as well as Uncharted. Gun play shouldn’t be the main focus of TR. It hasn’t been and shouldn’t be. Uncharted does it better but honestly gun play is in almost every game nowadays. It’s popular, sure, but does TR really do anything better in gunplay? I’m not saying UC does at all. It’s not special in that regard either. Why not focus on platforming like it used to be instead of 101 ways to kill a man with a climbing ax and some sand you found in your pocket.

Character wise Uncharted is better. They’re still trying to keep Lara alone but that severely limits her character and how she develops relationships. It seems like they’re trying to make TR all about Lara and her story but it’s hard to do when she’s alone and she can’t relate to the player as well as Uncharted characters with fun banter, interesting things to say, and they’re given personality. I don’t know about Rise but TReboot was all about stereotyped side characters. I’ll never forget the part in UC TLL when Nadine happens upon some monkeys and she says “Monkeys! I love monkeys.” And then she and Chloe have a dialogue. It’s something so little but really brings out her personality. You feel like she’s more of a real person.

Both games are good in their own regards, but TR just seems so bleak and boring. It’s like the serious version of Uncharted. That appeals to some but I just don’t see why it has to be like that. Hope she cheers up soon and figures out her life because I’m tired of TR being all about Lara
Old 30-04-18, 00:56   #3
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Comparing contemporary TR to Uncharteds, I unjoy Uncharted's characters a lot more. I find the main difference is that the Uncharteds (while grounded) are not quite so bogged down with gritty realism and taking themselves so seriously. Drake is a fun, kind of asshole-ish, witty wise-cracking character and so are most of his associates. The repartee between them is so entertaining to listen to, well written and well acted out. The games also delve into some supernatural elements and do it a little more creatively than I think the current TRs do.

In terms of gameplay, I do think even the new TRs offer better puzzles. The combat gameplay feels very similar to me, because both use the very typical model that's popular these days. I should be getting bored of it, but really it still feels ok to play.
Old 30-04-18, 01:45   #4
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor

Honestly the only things holding TR back from Uncharted are it's narrative and it's animation details.

Watching some of the videos above, show how stiff the animations for Lara are. The way guns look when fired is terrible (Lara has no reaction when bullets are shot). The blending between actions in another problem. Sometimes it seems like it clicks between animations when Lara switches between actions...where as it's almost buttery smooth in Naughty Dog games. It's one of my biggest problems with the Reboot era as it makes the game feel "cheap".

Narrative wise, Lara can be unlikable sometimes. The lack of any type of humor or playfulness really drags her character down. The series needs some light moments peppered in.
Old 30-04-18, 11:36   #5
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I’ll never forget the part in UC TLL when Nadine happens upon some monkeys and she says “Monkeys! I love monkeys.” And then she and Chloe have a dialogue. It’s something so little but really brings out her personality. You feel like she’s more of a real person.
That's right, there's lots of little dialogue moments like that that flesh out the personalities of the characters. The only time Tomb Raider did that right was in Legend with the headset but the fans in their infinite wisdom decided against that...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 11:44   #6
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

I think Uncharted has better storytelling, but I can not get behind the gameplay. It's too much combat (I've played UC 2 and 3).
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 11:53   #7
Mani_Man
Archaeologist

Why?
Why would someone make such a Thread in the most toxic environment for such a Topic?

And why the hell does it have to be either of those Games?
What is it with constantly comparing things for the sake of finding out what is "better"?

Cant we go with both series because they are fun games?
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 11:59   #8
biscuits
Archaeologist

I don't really like the Uncharted games because I find them a bore. I couldn't get through them at all. They just feel like glorified tech demos. I also despise Nathan Drake.

I feel that the "Lara needs to be alone" mentality is holding the narrative quality back. Lara has no one to play off of in the reboot games, so we don't really see her light side. They need to have good character interactions if they intend to go in the cinematic story driven game direction.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 13:32   #9
Murphdawg1
Explorer

The beauty of owning a PS4, you get to play both!
Old 30-04-18, 13:40   #10
Mickybyrne20
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
That's right, there's lots of little dialogue moments like that that flesh out the personalities of the characters. The only time Tomb Raider did that right was in Legend with the headset but the fans in their infinite wisdom decided against that...
I've got to be honest, I think Uncharted can sometimes overkill the talking aspect. I much prefer Lara to be alone, it sets an atmosphere unlike any other. Instead add a much smaller cast, and explore their character within detailed cutscenes.

I don't know, maybe if they had a couple of sections that included a partner it wouldn't be so bad, like in combat sections. Exploring and whatnot is strictly Lara's profession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Both games are good in their own regards, but TR just seems so bleak and boring. It’s like the serious version of Uncharted. That appeals to some but I just don’t see why it has to be like that. Hope she cheers up soon and figures out her life because I’m tired of TR being all about Lara
So what would you like to be added to improve Tomb Raider in terms of fun factor? I know a lot of people would like Lara's witty comebacks to reappear.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 30-04-18 at 13:44.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote