www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 18-10-17, 20:44   #1991
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

This is an animation I made a year ago, which I found somewhere on my animation backups...
It was made for AODFan (for his unreleased rollingball plugin), however I thought "why not share it?"

I think it looks good, although if I bothered to edit it, I'd change a bit of the position of her arms since it goes a bit under the floor, and her butt that awkwardly rotates after she falls on the floor (detail that is likely to be unnoticed in-game). Also I don't know if the animation will sync or not with the rollingball movement, so if I had such feedback I'd be pleased to make it slower/faster

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 18-10-17 at 20:49.
SrDanielPonces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-17, 21:01   #1992
sampiza
Historian

I think it looks good also, nice work!
sampiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 05:07   #1993
A_De
Explorer

Ok, here's the preview of revised animations
I think her pose looks more natural now as she does not put her legs that far apart.
Old 08-11-17, 09:01   #1994
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Oh this makes a big difference, it's much easier to suspend your disbelief and think it's not a Lara Croft model you're looking at.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 19:57   #1995
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Ok this is not a recent video but I thought I'd share it because I want your opinions regarding the animation.

When I recorded this video, the chance of having this animation played was 1/3 (33%), but I increased it to 1/5 (20%). There is no variations of it (though it was suggested to me before. I may consider doing that).
My question is (besides the animation itself), is this a good implemention or just useless? I know it can be frustrating when repeated too long which is why I have increased the chance of having it played. Increasing it more would take more work because i'd have to add more animation numbers to lara's animations (if you know how the FAN_RANDOM works you know what i mean). However it may add a little more detail and realism to it

Thank you
Old 11-01-18, 20:36   #1996
TR-Freak
Professor

It's useless
If you want to go for realism, you should test it when crawling->Ledge. Because it will probably play there aswell which doesn make sense.

Either remove it, or implement some kind of "Grab Difficulty". For example when going from Parallel Bar, the chance of playing this animation is almost 100%. When going off the ledge the usual way (backwards and pressing action) it should be played far less or not even at all. Running jumps have a chance of ~ 40-50 etc etc.
Old 11-01-18, 20:42   #1997
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

^ I don't even know if doing those conditions is possible, at least not from my knowledge. increasing the chances of having this playing will fill more animation slots
Old 11-01-18, 20:46   #1998
TR-Freak
Professor

Uh, why don't you use an animcommand at anim 96 Frame 1 to trigger a Triggergroup. This Triggergroup has:
  • Random Number
  • Check if Random Number is whateer your threshold is
  • Play Animation of Lara
?

You can use with Variables here. When going on Parallel Bars, you simply reduce the threshold to compare to force the animation more often. Etc.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 11-01-18 at 20:47.
TR-Freak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-18, 22:17   #1999
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
Ok this is not a recent video but I thought I'd share it because I want your opinions regarding the animation.
I like it.
Both the animation (it looks smooth) and the fact that she plays it once in a while.
Even if it does not always make a lot of sense for her to fail her grab.

I have a similar setup in my own levels actually.
Old 13-01-18, 00:55   #2000
Kapu
Professor

Default @SrDanielPonces

I didn't like when Lara would perform this animation in AOD. While it added some variation and a realistic touch, it was ultimately a time waster. I wished Lara would just grab the freaking ledge so I could get on with the game.

I didn't mind the animation in Legend onward, however, since it was made interactive. If you could implement a similar setup in which the player must press a button to save Lara from slipping and falling, now that would be better. The AOD way felt like my control over the character was being needlessly hijacked, even if briefly.

Also, I would reduce the frequency to something like 10% of the time - or 1 out of every 10 grabs instead of 1 out of 5. Much less intrusive to the player.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote