www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 12-11-17, 18:22   #131
thewolf
Hobbyist

Gameplay/ deaths work correctly. My misc animation is not deleted, but thanks for the advice

Sometimes it's strange because not every rotated texture counts :/ . I'am now right at the limit one more texture mirrored and the error message will appear. Those two guardians take the most textures. Spear has 146. Sword has 155. The statue not included
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 00:55   #132
Danath
Explorer

Smile

OMG Chi!! You...

It freakin' works! Now i can have the 2 different enemies with the same amount of textures! Thank you so much. I don't care if the face looks distorted/wrong, but i will try to change the textures a bit so it could look a bit better.

At first i couldn't look at the .tr2 you sent me because TRViewer was throwing an unknown animation error then crashing, but i used Fexmerger to transfer your edited enemy to a new file, and then extracted that new enemy to a .trmvb so i have a secured copy of it.

I will resume the texturing tomorrow and see if i can FINALLY end this nightmare of a map. And i obviously will put your name with glowing letters in the credits, you're the MVP.

Last edited by Danath; 13-11-17 at 00:57.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 03:12   #133
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

No problem

I just want to see you complete this game as it looks great, and I bet many reading this thread also want to see you finish this game and put it on TRLE net
Old 14-11-17, 07:02   #134
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

You can also re-texture existing objects to make use of less textures, where possible. The same texture used on multiple objects won't impact total texture count any more than being used on one. Or, perhaps make some textures smaller, perhaps that would help as well. (Not sure the nature of texture limits in TR2 levels)
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 18:09   #135
Danath
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
You can also re-texture existing objects to make use of less textures, where possible. The same texture used on multiple objects won't impact total texture count any more than being used on one.
Thanks, that's a great idea, i could retexture the boulder, for example, using that method.

Looking at PixStr on the compiled level, i'm up to 2020 textures now, 83 rooms done. Gotta be careful...

Edit: There's one thing i totally forgot! Those white placeholder textures are occupying a great amount of texture space, as i used them everywhere prior to doing the final version. So i am using much more quantity than really needed, in theory.

Edit2: Sweet Jesus! I have counted every white texture occurence with PixStr on the compiled level and it is occupying 154 tex ID's. Now i regret ever using it.

Last edited by Danath; 14-11-17 at 19:47.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 09:26   #136
Titak

^
What did you do?
Replace other textures with the white one or did you add that white texture and then retextured the objects with that one texture?
Old 15-11-17, 14:12   #137
thewolf
Hobbyist

The white ones are now the placeholder for no textures applied.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 21:14   #138
Danath
Explorer

Cool

Hello again! I bring both good and bad news.

The good news first: after much suffering with limitations, the map is fully textured! And that's not all, thanks to the ( indeed great ) Chi, i also have the spear guardian working with its original look when it's awoken! ( statue version breaks the limit ). All is fitting in just barely, i'm so close to the limit that i'm sitting on 2043 textures on the completed map, 5 away from crashing.

Now for the bad. I had to make sacrifices in the graphical detail side. With the rock textures i was using there was no way to fit into the limit. The different rotations, partial and partially visible versions ( that also increases the count ) made it impossible, even without the white placeholder which occupied much space.
I was ready to throw a tantrum at that point, i had 2200+ textures and i tried something drastic before throwing the towel: making another set of 4 rock textures, a set that can be applied without rotations, this one:

So i textured all rocks with these, and it isn't going to win any beauty awards. Here's how the central part of the level looks now, with lighting:

The main problem is the repetition, but as i said i'm completely strangled by the limits and i prefer having the map working even if it looks a bit fugly. Other bad thing is i cannot place 2 statics i wanted to use. I can already see in the future the low score i'm going to get in the graphics side of reviews, but honestly i don't give a crap at this point, so feel free to sue me.

So now i can FINALLY relax knowing it is working textured, and concentrate in the next days on doing the lighting. Then it will be testing time.
Old 17-11-17, 21:19   #139
LoreRaider
Explorer

Tbh, I really love that screen, the lighting it's perfect here and textures fits very well too! Great job!

Last edited by LoreRaider; 17-11-17 at 21:21.
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 21:30   #140
Danath
Explorer

Thank you. So good to see someone likes the graphics after all the trouble i've had.