www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-11-17, 05:59   #81
Joey79100
Archaeologist
 
Joey79100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelooBastet View Post
When i click on Tools > Texture Map builder, nothing happens...Is this a tool to replace TextEdit / TBuilder ?
Same here, nothing happens when clicking Texture Map Builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombLevBauer View Post
This is not a bug, but intended behaviour. Remember, you are neither limited to 16 pixel aligned textures nor a maximum width of 256 pixels so zooming makes a lot of sense.

If you want to navigate up or down you should try using the arrow keys or the right mouse button.
Zooming makes sense, however not being able to scroll using the mousewheel doesn't. Why don't use you Ctrl+mousewheel to zoom instead? This is what most programs go for so it would only make sense and not break what we're used to. We'll scroll more often than we'll zoom (we can just find the zoom level we need and leave it that way and zoom again only when precision is needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Thanks for the video, I forwarded it to the devs. Do you mean that the issue only appeared once and hasn't occurred since?
Actually yes it did! I wanted to modify a L corridor and make the angle diagonal instead. So I changed the wall, and as soon I a started texturing, it became darker. I continued retexturing, and as soon as I textured the last untextured face, the bug vanished.
In the video there's a spot where I had added a diagonal wall in the middle of nowhere (just me testing). I bet that was causing the bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
If you have a door which is not toggle opacity (isn't textured) then indeed there is no way to make a selection on it in the 3D view, but you can do that in the 2D room grid. Then you can use keyboard keys to lift the floor or lower the ceiling.
The selection is fine, I wanted to work on solid sectors. But I had a ceiling portal in one room, in another room I had both a ceiling and a floor portal, and I could make walls only after removing these portals. It does this only on the sectors that are in the portal area though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Ok, now the question for all the people with keyboard issues with French AZERTY keyboards or any other non-QWERTY keyboards!

Please check if any of those keyboard shortcuts in good old winroomedit work on your side:

Alt + Q - for quitting winroomedit.
Alt + W - for mirroring current room.
Ctrl + Z - select all.

The problem is, when you say there is an issue in Tomb Editor about keyboard handling, actually there is an issue with our good old Winroomedit Since winroomedit is an ugly piece of software written without any keyboard layout differences in mind, it doesn't make a difference if you're using QWERTY or AZERTY or any other exotic keyboard layout. Because of this, most of "conflicting" keycombos, including that I mentioned above, are broken on your system in winroomedit. Probably you are not aware of that, because you either never used these keycombos, or got used to fact that they don't work properly, because QAWSEDRF keys are working just fine.

Since we're obviously not going to replicate winroomedit behaviour here, because most likely all the hotkeys involving Q, A, Z and W keys will be broken in Tomb Editor as well, we need to come to some solution for this problem, which will indeed take some time.

Until the solution is implemented, I can only recommend to use drag tool instead of QAWSEDRF keys for now. Because it is MUCH MORE intuitive, faster, easier and convenient way In tomorrow's final video tutorial part I will describe how to use it.
I never said there was an issue in how Tomb Editor handled keyboard input.
And indeed, these shortcuts act like I have a QWERTY keyboard. Meaning it handles A like if I pressed Q and Z like I pressed W and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombLevBauer View Post
Automatically handling this issue is actually impossible because keys in the physical region of an unknown keyboard layout might already be mapped to different shortcuts. Also, as Lwmte already mentioned, we don't want to go the winroomedit route and make all shortcuts confusing by change them from keyboard layout to keyboard layout.

Remappable keyboard shortcuts were discussed in our development chat at some point but no real use case was mentioned. I was actually against their introction due to the added complexity.
This seems like a strong usecase were remappable keys, so we probably want to revisit remappable key combinations.

For now my suggestion is to fast track a special case for realistic keyboard layouts with real users like french so that real users can use the editor appropriately.
I think remappable shortcuts are something to consider. The editor is designed with customization in mind, you can move the windows wherever you want, make tabs, etc... so shortcuts are only a "logical route". I often find myself trying to use Tab, Space and L to switch between 2D map, face edit and lighting modes and I bet I'm not alone.
But I understand why you'd prefer to delay it if it's hard to handle. Still I think it should be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombLevBauer View Post
There is no limit on our side and I am personally not aware of an engine limitation. This, of course, does not mean there is none.
I would say it's safe to assume that the amount in NGLE will work. Beyond that you will just have to try. However it's not too unlikely that they will still work since we know from elsewhere that winroomedit/NGLE has many many artificial limitations.
That's some interesting news.


I noticed something else is missing: in RoomEdit, when you've selected a corner and keep Ctrl pressed while moving up/down the corner, if any corner of another sector is connected to that corner you're moving, it will move along with it. This is something that doesn't exist in Tomb Editor. There are some specific case where you want to move only some sectors at the same time and not touch the other ones, so the Shovel/Brush can't be used in this case because it will move everything that is around. Is it planned to be reintroduced?

There seems to be another bug too. Sometimes you can deselect easily by clicking once in the empty, but sometimes you have to double-click otherwise it doesn't work.

Also, I was wondering about something. When making a floor step, you cannot make the secondary step go higher than the first step, and you have to rotate twice the step to be able to make it the way you want. Couldn't this be automated by turning automatically the step when we're trying to make the secondary step go above the first step? It would look more transparent and straightforward that way.
__________________
"Everytime you use WadMerger's Sound Manager, a kitten drowns in a poop pool."
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 06:18   #82
LGG_PRODUCTION
Historian
 
LGG_PRODUCTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 372
Default

When I imported a project some object textures are wrong in-game, I don't know why..
__________________
On FB there is my page LGG_PRODUCTION, there are all my objects :)
LGG_PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 07:24   #83
Joey79100
Archaeologist
 
Joey79100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: France
Posts: 2,287
Default

Is there anyone working on translations? I mean, is it "ready to be translated"?
__________________
"Everytime you use WadMerger's Sound Manager, a kitten drowns in a poop pool."

Last edited by Joey79100; 15-11-17 at 08:12.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 08:13   #84
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter
 
Tombraider95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In Rafe Adler's Bed... with Ryan Gosling.
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I completely forgot about this in the readme, sorry. Hold Shift to rotate objects with a 22,5 degree increment, similarly to how it was done in RoomEdit. Also note the text info next to the object when it is selected, it displays the current degree rotation and height for better reference.
When you're moving an object, it is moved with an increment by default; hold Shift too move it around more freely. You can't move objects outside of room walls by default (you can move them through the floor and ceiling, though), but pressing Alt will override this and you will be able to move them through walls.

---

Indeed, this is swapped, I will ask around if this was intentional.
Ah right I'll try that then And thanks! I hope it can be changed easily just because there's no need to switch it really.

Anyone else find it doesn't texture tiles sometimes when in face edit? I've noticed there might be one or two tiles which can be textured but the rest just don't do anything. Even with the "texture all floors" options.
__________________
"Nothing like the corruption of innocence to spark the fire of creation"
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 08:20   #85
MontyTRC
Student
 
MontyTRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Italy
Posts: 199
Default

@LGG_PRODUCTION Can you post a screen?

@Joey79100 Not yet, english for now.

Yesterday we have fixed some bugs thanks to your feedbacks. Expecially with PRJ import. We'll fix other bugs and release an update soon
__________________
Tomb Editor Main developer

Last edited by MontyTRC; 15-11-17 at 08:25.
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 08:42   #86
kaufi-lc
Explorer
 
kaufi-lc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Ah right I'll try that then And thanks! I hope it can be changed easily just because there's no need to switch it really.

Anyone else find it doesn't texture tiles sometimes when in face edit? I've noticed there might be one or two tiles which can be textured but the rest just don't do anything. Even with the "texture all floors" options.
You probably selected some tiles. This limits all texturing to only those selected tiles (which can be quite useful actually)
Just press Esc or click somewhere outside the room(s) to deselect all tiles and you can apply textures to any tile, again. Took me some time to figure that out, too

Last edited by kaufi-lc; 15-11-17 at 09:02.
kaufi-lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 08:54   #87
teme9
Professor
 
teme9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Ah right I'll try that then And thanks! I hope it can be changed easily just because there's no need to switch it really.

Anyone else find it doesn't texture tiles sometimes when in face edit? I've noticed there might be one or two tiles which can be textured but the rest just don't do anything. Even with the "texture all floors" options.

When you go into the face edit mode the selection of sectors is not drawn under textures currently in that mode. If you have selection those tools will only affect the selected area. Make sure you don't have selection - you can deselect by pressing escape. You can also do selection through the 2D grid. There has been talks about this and I will let the team know about it.

Last edited by teme9; 15-11-17 at 08:57.
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 09:56   #88
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 10,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombLevBauer View Post
This is not a bug, but intended behaviour. Remember, you are neither limited to 16 pixel aligned textures nor a maximum width of 256 pixels so zooming makes a lot of sense.

If you want to navigate up or down you should try using the arrow keys or the right mouse button.
OHHH that explains things then. Personally I don't really like the way it works so far, but I'll give it a go and see how it turns while making levels.
EDIT: Okay it's a bit irritating. Especially in the animation editor where each time you select a texture the entire view is reset. It just goes all over the place.

Btw, is there a particular reason why there's always an empty space to the left to the textureset and above it?

Last edited by Caesum; 15-11-17 at 10:06.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 10:05   #89
Lwmte
Explorer
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Russia
Posts: 910
Default

You can change your destination level file name in Tools -> Level Settings, it's just that by default TE automatically assigns tr4 name to your prj name
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-17, 10:06   #90
Caesum
Tomb Raider
 
Caesum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Poland, Warsaw Gender: Male
Posts: 10,733
Default

Oh my I was just going to delete that message, but you were so fast! Yes it works now, lovely!

EDIT: Okay I'm not sure but for me it looks like the texturing is broken a bit..?
1. I can only texture some polygons. On the other polys the tool just doesn't work. Sometimes changing camera angle allows me to texture other polys (not all).
2. There's a huge lag (?) that makes all texture changes appear only after you release the button (as opposed to TRLE).
3. I also think that sometimes polygons don't allow texture changing unless you select them in the 2D view first. If I select the entire room then I can texture things. Doesn't work with every tool though (?).
4. Group texturing forces you to select polys first, then click to apply textures, which feels like a waste of time (select and release should be good enough).
5. I can't find a way to select and texturize like in TRLE when you right-click+drag. So far I can only do that when I select polygons in the 2D View and guess which polygons are those in the 3D view. Is that an alternative to the rightclick+drag? It feels kinda slower.

I'm not sure if these are bugs or design choices lol.

EDIT: Is there a ctrl+z and ctrl+y thing?

Last edited by Caesum; 15-11-17 at 10:37.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 18:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.