www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 06-11-17, 11:28   #251
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

The textures are final and we won't change them. Thanks though
Old 06-11-17, 11:38   #252
Boobandie
Professor

They look great anyway.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 21:20   #253
indigo15
Historian

I really like the screenshot of the piston room! Can't wait to see the final version of it. And I like that you've extended the level. I'm excited to see what you've added.

As far as the name for the first part, I like GabrielCroft's suggestion, "Engine Rooms."
indigo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 00:45   #254
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

^ Thank you both

@indigo: the level is already named "Deepsea Wreckage". Before it was "Rusty Machineries", but it felt a bit off compared to the other level names - that's why we changed it.

If you think that 2d map screenshot is huge, that's because you haven't seen the final geometry... it is waaaaay bigger (and yes, I've finished the gameplay - it just needs some tweaks here and there before beta testing - and that is after finishing the other levels).

Now I'm working on 40 fathoms
Old 12-11-17, 01:01   #255
Boobandie
Professor

It's an interesting take on how much you've expanded it. I remember when we were working on TR2 Memories we merged the levels that were obviously split by Core for map size. For example combining Offshore Rig and Diving Area into just one level thanks to NGLE's ability to go outside the 2D map with the "Add Tunnel Room" button.

I believe the ocean levels became just two. The first two merged and called 40 Fathoms, and the second two called Wreck of the Maria Doria.

Have you considered adding the ability to backtrack through some of the levels in case a player misses a secret? Core always intended the locations to be single levels, only split for memory size. That's why they added the level jumps with TR4.
Old 12-11-17, 01:12   #256
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

^ We want to join Diving area and Offshore rig, but I think that will not be possible because we are very close to the room limit - and that is because we are extensively expanding all the levels.

We did try to make backtracking in the venice section, but considering the weather changes between levels (St Mark's Square and Venice being morning, bartoli's hideout afternoon and Opera House at night and raining) made this a problem. Also, we used so many keys and puzzles (almost all the slots were used) that made this almost impossible to happen, not including all the crashes on the loading screens. If we removed all items from the inventory, that could lead to a dead end. So we completely removed this system and we are not considering on doing that anymore - since the venice levels are all beta tested and they could even be released at this moment... we're just waiting for the rest of the levels to be done

EDIT: As for joining the Maria Doria Levels, that will definitely not be possible because the room sizes are huge as they are (the ocean of 40 fathoms itself takes almost all the 2d map lol) - which makes the levels huge. That's not including the fact that we are using all the door, trapdoor and pushable slots for the rusty levels - so it will not be possible to join two levels of different "themes" (for example, 40 Fathoms being mostly metal, and wreck of maria doria having mostly those fancy rooms, as well as a few metal areas).

It would be good to have backtracking, considering you have around 40 secret pickups in Venice section and it would be a pitty if a player missed a few of them - the game gives nice rewards for collecting them. But, sadly, that won't be able

(I hope we eventually, at the last stages of the development of this project, we start writing a diary to give certain hints to clueless players as I am when playing other levels lol - I try not to make levels too hard by almost always adding fixed cameras to show the path/door that opened so the player doesn't have to wander around where tf he has to go).

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 12-11-17 at 01:19.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 15:42   #257
Woops
Hobbyist

i think calling the "new" level something like "up to the deck" or "way to the living quarters" (mention a level's name) because thats what it comes down to and would make the most sense
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-17, 20:58   #258
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

But that's too basic and boring to be fair
Old 17-11-17, 07:21   #259
Woops
Hobbyist

maybe
Woops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 08:15   #260
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
i think calling the "new" level something like "up to the deck" or "way to the living quarters" (mention a level's name) because thats what it comes down to and would make the most sense
It would then feel like merely a tack on rather than a level in its own right. When Core split the levels in the first place they gave them unique names.

I think a name like "Engine Rooms" is appropriate. It compliments the later level "Living Quarters".