Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 27-05-15, 00:22   #781
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Croft View Post
Because some games have stories and the authors of said stories may want to tell them exactly the way they envisioned. Make every protagonist a blank character and you'll have bland stories that no one truly identifies with.
That's not how you improve representativity.
Write a book or make a movie to tell your rigid story. Games with blank characters (or barely defined ones) are my cup of tea. A solid story in a game does not require a character to possess a complete biography.

Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 27-05-15 at 00:25.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 00:24   #782
Mad Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
I loathe Call of Duty and Sport games (with the exception of SSX,) they can all go to hell
That's hardly an unpopular opinion, at least not on here. In fact if we're talking about just TRF then liking CoD and sports games is in itself an extremely unpopular opinion.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 00:44   #783
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
Write a book or make a movie to tell your rigid story. Games with blank characters (or barely defined ones) are my cup of tea. A solid story in a game does not require a character to possess a complete biography.
Games are wonderful storytelling devices because they're one of the most interactive forms of entertainment media out there. They allow you to interact with a world and make choices like no other. I can see why so many games allow you to forge your own path and make your own decisions, because it's the best medium for that kind of storytelling.

But I also think a rigid narrative from an established character can also work really well, by putting us in that character's shoes. We're playing as them, so we get to experience them firsthand.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 09:57   #784
Legend of Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
Shadow the Hedgehog isn't THAT bad of a game. Don't get me wrong, the story is awful, but the game itself can be actually fun.
I think the opposite. The story is kind of endearingly stupid, but the game itself is actually sinfully boring and one-note.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 12:08   #785
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92 View Post
Games are wonderful storytelling devices because they're one of the most interactive forms of entertainment media out there. They allow you to interact with a world and make choices like no other. I can see why so many games allow you to forge your own path and make your own decisions, because it's the best medium for that kind of storytelling.

But I also think a rigid narrative from an established character can also work really well, by putting us in that character's shoes. We're playing as them, so we get to experience them firsthand.
A game needs a plot for you the gamer to successfully negotiate through and goals for you to attain. And as far as I am concerned that is it. Ideally the plot should allow for as much personalization as is conceivably possible, and the goals should require substantial challenge and interesting details.
Old 27-05-15, 21:27   #786
FreakRaider

I think TRL, TRU and the reboot are the best games of the tomb raider franchise.
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 21:35   #787
Sir Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
Then keep playing those games. Thinking every game should be the same (and that that would be an improvement), though, that's pushing it.
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 21:39   #788
FreakRaider

Quote:
Then keep playing those games. Thinking every game should be the same (and that that would be an improvement), though, that's pushing it.
I think the core games pretty much did this. Lara was really replaceable back then, to be honest.
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 21:56   #789
DOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakRaider View Post
I think the core games pretty much did this. Lara was really replaceable back then, to be honest.
It's not like reboot Lara is the most original character ever, eh.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-15, 22:28   #790
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
I did not say anything like that.