Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-07-17, 17:03   #1
MartimMonteiro

Default Recording AOD with OBS

Hi

I use OBS and I would like to record a few AOD videos, but when I go check the video it is all black and I can only hear the sound of the game.. Anyway to fix this? All the other games record perfectly..
MartimMonteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 17:42   #2
Matie

Do you have two graphics cards? That's usually the cause for the black screen. You can fix it by opening the NVidia Control Panel and on the "Manage 3D settings" panel set NVIDIA as your preferred graphics processor.

This method worked for me with more recent games, but when I launch AoD with OBS running, it just crashes. I hope it's just something going wrong on my end and you'll get better results.
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 22:14   #3
Shing
Unverified

Try to disable every software with overlays. Steam, MSI afterburner, FPS counter, anything you use... AoD is a DX9 game, it should work perfectly.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 08:35   #4
Wooxman

If you have an Nvidia card then you can record the game with Shadowplay, which is part of Geforce Experience. OBS requires too much tinkering for my liking.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 20:01   #5
Maverin

Hello.

You are probably using a newer version of windows (ex. windows 10). Upon opening the video file it is most likely using the standard app Movies & TV which is not that great actually. Instead right click on your file and "open with" Windows Media Player which should now play your video correct with both visuals and audio.

Cheers
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 10:16   #6
MartimMonteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
Do you have two graphics cards? That's usually the cause for the black screen. You can fix it by opening the NVidia Control Panel and on the "Manage 3D settings" panel set NVIDIA as your preferred graphics processor.

This method worked for me with more recent games, but when I launch AoD with OBS running, it just crashes. I hope it's just something going wrong on my end and you'll get better results.
I only have one graphic card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shing View Post
Try to disable every software with overlays. Steam, MSI afterburner, FPS counter, anything you use... AoD is a DX9 game, it should work perfectly.
Tried that and didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
If you have an Nvidia card then you can record the game with Shadowplay, which is part of Geforce Experience. OBS requires too much tinkering for my liking.
I used Shadowplay and it record sound and image, but the image is not "clean" like the OBS recordings I'd made... If there isn't anyway to fix this problem I'll have to use Shadowplay, but I prefer the OBS image.. Thank you for letting me know about this alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
Hello.

You are probably using a newer version of windows (ex. windows 10). Upon opening the video file it is most likely using the standard app Movies & TV which is not that great actually. Instead right click on your file and "open with" Windows Media Player which should now play your video correct with both visuals and audio.

Cheers
Tried that and didn't work as well.. The problem is that OBS doesn't recognise the game, because in the preview window it always shows a black screen, while in every other TR game it shows actually the game image..
Old 10-07-17, 10:54   #7
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartimMonteiro View Post
I used Shadowplay and it record sound and image, but the image is not "clean" like the OBS recordings I'd made... If there isn't anyway to fix this problem I'll have to use Shadowplay, but I prefer the OBS image.. Thank you for letting me know about this alternative
Do you use the correct settings? If I remember correctly, the standard settings for Shadowplay are set to medium, so you may want to change that.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 11:06   #8
MartimMonteiro

I changed it to maximum, the image had the resolution that I wanted but it's not as sharp as OBS
Old 10-07-17, 22:02   #9
Jorje Croft

Matie
Love your avatar
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 10:48   #10
MartimMonteiro

I asked Badassgamez how he recorded his TRAOD walkthrough and he said that it was with OBS, so that means it is possible to record with this program.. I just need to find a way to fix this issue.. He said to try the "window capture" and "monitor capture" but none of these worked for me.. I still get a black screen with audio working fine... I checked various videos on youtube showing how to fix the problem and none fixed it.. Could this problem happen because I have windows 10?