Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-02-13, 13:34   #5511
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
@Faylon
--------------

I have been having issues with the editor lately, not technical but inspirational. I haven't been able to commit to a project and not get bored and this has been going on for some time now. Whenever I have nothing to do (which is very rare lately) I open the editor and start work but I always get uninspired and just give up. How do you deal with problems like these? Keep your inspiration or even get inspiration.
I get this all the time. To find inspiration I sometimes play other custom levels to say, "If they can do it, so can I!", but this sometimes can backfire and make me feel like, what's the point? *cough*Titak/Teme9*Cough*
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 15:45   #5512
Faylon
Unverified

Yes I have the same problem. However, I try to start with something small first, about 30-45 minutes gameplay time, using standard TR resources.

For some reason I also find it hard to make a complete wad and texture to use and that fit all together. I prefer to use a pre-made wad and texture, that's why I really tend to take the back to basic resources and try to create something with those, under the same rules but without participating.
Faylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 18:47   #5513
raiderromero

what happened to bekim? was he banned forever?
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 18:50   #5514
JessyTR

He'll be back only 5 march.
JessyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 19:33   #5515
RoxasKennedy

lol WTH does he do so he gets constantly banned?
RoxasKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 19:35   #5516
raiderromero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxasKennedy View Post
lol WTH does he do so he gets constantly banned?
because i guess is hasnt matured and continue playing aroun, which is not bad but there are rules like uploading a photo ( which ccould contain offenses or sexual content) and it is not allowed in this forum
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 19:41   #5517
RoxasKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderromero View Post
because i guess is hasnt matured and continue playing aroun, which is not bad but there are rules like uploading a photo ( which ccould contain offenses or sexual content) and it is not allowed in this forum
That sounds just like my relationship with DeviantArt... <3
RoxasKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 19:41   #5518
Tricell

Well rules are rules i guess.
Gotta abide by them.
Tricell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 20:14   #5519
Mytly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylon View Post
Just a random question. I am not quite sure where I should ask this since it's just a "Tomb Raider and pickups?" kind of question:

As you all may know, Tomb Raider games, especially the first 5, are filled with random pickups like weapon ammo, weapons or medipacks. This is very unrealistic, however, it does add some kind of gameplay to the game. For example it makes you explore a little bit more.

So when it comes to custom made levels. What do you guys prefer regarding this issue? Do you like to have random pickups in a so called tomb that has been sealed for centuries? Or do you rather prefer a more realistic approach?

In case of the latter, I am also wondering how you guys would deal with this. I am planning a quite big and serious project for sometime later in the future which will mostly take place in India. And I am currently thinking of certain gameplay features, one of them being pickups. I would like to get rid of the random pickups in places where they're not supposed to be, and implement them in a more realistic way. However, I can't just make an armory room in some kind of Indian temple that would have some ammo in them. Or a pharmacy room in a temple that has some medipacks in them. So what is the best approach to this problem?
[slightly off-topic rant]In my personal opinion, realism in games is highly overrated. It's not much more unrealistic for Lara to find bullets in ancient tombs than it is for her to be able to jump straight up more than twice her own height - yet practically no one would want to sacrifice that. [/slightly off-topic rant]

Ok, back on-topic: Why not create a scenario where Lara can make her own weapons from the objects at hand? I have no idea how to do it myself, but I have seen it in some levels. For example, in The Jerusalem Project - The Cherubim are Calling, there was a level in which Lara's weapons were taken away, so she had to make a crossbow using a broken wheel and hair from a horse's tail.

For flares, Lara could strike two flint pieces together to create sparks, so the pickups would be bits of flint. Or the good old-fashioned burning torch could be used instead of flares. You could place several of them in any old tomb, and they wouldn't be out of place. For medipacks, there's herbs, as others have suggested, or maybe magical holy water (yes, it's not realistic, but at least it would be in keeping with ancient holy places ).

Last edited by Mytly; 16-02-13 at 20:16.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-13, 21:56   #5520
peeves

So I'm done with TR1-5 now with all the pickups for all the secrets no medi packs and no cheatcodes. TR1 and UB i beat with all the pickups for all 55 secrets collected no health packs used and no cheatcodes and TR2 and GM i beat with all 63 secrets collected no health packs used and no cheatcodes. TR3 and LA i beat with all the pickups for all 75 secrets collected no health packs used and no cheatcodes. TR4 i beat with all the pickups for all 72 secrets collected no health packs used and no cheatcodes and TR5 i beat with all 36 secrets collected no health packs used and no cheatcodes used. So of the 117 levels i played so far i did 78 without dying in one sitting: Caves, City of Vilcabamba, Lost Valley, St. Francis Folly, Colosseum, Palace Midas, Cistern, Tomb of Tihocan, City of Khamoon, Obelisk of Khamoon, Sanctuary of the Scion, Natla's Mines, and Atlantis in TR1 but in TR2 i beat Great Wall, Venice, Bartoli's Hideout, Offshore Rig, Diving Area, 40 Fathoms, Living Quarters, Deck, Tibetan Foothills, Barkhang Monastery, Catacombs of the Talion, Ice Palace, Temple of Xian, Floating Islands, Dragon's Lair, Home Sweet Home without dying. In TR3 I beat River Ganges, Caves of Kaliya, High Security Compound, Area 51, Thames Wharf, Coastal Village, Crash Site, Temple of Puna, Meteorite Cavern, Sleeping with the Fishes, and Reunion without dying. In TR4 i beat Angkor Wat, Race for the iris, tomb of seth, burial chambers, valley of the kings, KV5, Temple of Karnak, Great Hypostyle Hall, Sacred Lake, Alexandria, Coastal Ruins, Catacombs, Temple of Poseidon, Lost Library, Hall of Demetrius, Pharos temple of isis, Cleopatra's palaces, city of the dead, chambers of tulun, street bazaar, citadel, sphinx complex, underneath the sphinx, menkaure's pyramid, mastabas, khufus queens' pyramids, inside great pyramid, temple of horus and times exclusive without dying. and in TR5 i beat streets of rome, colosseum, base, submarine, deep sea dive, gallows tree, labyrinth, old mill, and 13th floor without dying. I still have TR6 to do.

Last edited by peeves; 17-02-13 at 22:03.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote