www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 09-07-17, 22:29   #791
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Horizon's update included a harder difficulty, new gears (although they use old visuals, they have updated stats) and complete new exclusive face paints + focus color (these are new assets) for free. The upcoming DLC will include a complete new map, new monsters and new outfits/weapons and a complete new story. The kind of typical DLC content.

I don't mind DLCs when they include a wide variety of content in one package as long as it's not content cut from the main game (looking at you Resident Evil 7), which is why I'm always hesitant to critic Breath of the Wild's DLC...

Where I have a problem though is the fact that if you want Epona, Link's tunic from Twilight Princess/Wind Waker/Classic era/etc., these are locked behind Amiibos.
So an outfit that would usually cost 1$-2$ in any other game now cost 15 because of the figurine.... And there aren't any alternative methods to obtain outfits. Hell, if you manage to get Twilight Princess' light bow, you're set for an incredible powerful weapon for the duration of the game. How balanced is that?
As for Smash, the DLCs were fair and square individually, but if you want an all-in-one game without any paywall, it sucks because the game now cost you 150$. It's really bad when you think about it.

Fallout 3 had a fair amount of DLC but at least Bethesda had the decency to create a deluxe edition at a reduced cost for late-comers who wanted to experience everything. Nintendo did a Deluxe version of Mario Kart 8, it's cute, but where is Smash? And why can't those who buy the 20$ DLC for Breath of the Wild get alternative methods to unlock previous eras outfits?

They're inconsistent in how they deliver their content.

Last edited by Isaac; 10-07-17 at 02:36.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 04:38   #792
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

I guess none of that bothers me because they're cosmetic additions. The bow of light is not hidden behind an amiibo - everyone gets it. Unless I'm missing something?

Last edited by Lara's home; 10-07-17 at 04:43.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 05:25   #793
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
The bow of light is not hidden behind an amiibo - everyone gets it. Unless I'm missing something?
I was referring to the Light Bow from Twilight Princess, referenced as "Twilight Bow" in Breath of the Wild.

It has infinite Light Arrows and fires straight with nearly infinite range.... Which is quite an advantage when you think about it.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 05:45   #794
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

If that's the case, then yeah, I agree. It's a dumb item to add as dlc, and even dumber to hide behind an amiibo.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 06:51   #795
HD Simplicityy
Historian

Its been a while since I said anything about my own progress, if you're even interested, so here it is.
I've broken the forty hour mark just recently.
Oh. My. Gosh...I'm nearly speechless. Totally mind boggled. This game has blown me away. Its hit the 9/10 mark, if I were to grade it. I hope to grade it higher. The depth of the narrative, the backstory...Aloy discovering who she is...Its crazy to comprehend at times. Still trying to wrap my head around it all. I have more to go, and I don't want it to end yet. I'm attached to Aloy; she's a great leading lady. Probably now one of my favorite game characters, or at least in recent memory. I might be overhyping myself...lul I don't know. I also find it remarkable that a game story idea I'm working on has similarities to it. I started that idea last year, and i don't remember if I knew about this HZD yet. Or forgot if the trailers turned me away, which they in fact did. Hmm...competition!! :P

The best action RPG, if it is one, I've ever played without a doubt. Better than any of the four Assassins Creed games I've played, my favorite being Syndicate (a great game as such...loved it). Better than Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Those are the only ARPG's I've played as far as I know, seeing as the two Elder Scrolls games I've played are pure RPGs. Normally I don't drift into those; they take a long time and sometimes lack stories and characters that keep me interested. Not this one. Not at all.

I'm thinking HZD might have cracked my top ten, maybe top 6 or 8, all time favorite games. Top 5? To beat Uncharted 4? hmmmm Thats tough to call. Still got a ways to go. If any game to make my top 5, I would have to consider it a classic or a masterpiece of game design. By my own viewpoint, of course. Ya never know! Even if I don't consider HZD a masterpiece, I could put it on a pedestal anyway.

On the other hand, where are Guerrilla's official forums? Not that this one isn't bad, but I'd love to say this stuff on their forums if they have any.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 17-07-17 at 22:24.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 20:20   #796
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I bought this game a few days ago and so far I love it but I think I've encountered a glitch. I've gotten 43 headshot's with the bow but the trophy hasn't popped up yet. Has anyone else encountered this bug?

Edit:Never mind, it's just popped up lol.

Last edited by Lara_Fan1; 17-07-17 at 20:21.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 14:52   #797
DragonSlayer
Professor

Has anyone tried fighting Redmaw on the highest difficulty when I fought him on easy he was easily defeated Redmaw was built up too much by the guys at the hunting lodge in Meridian I thought he would have been more of a challenge but he wasn't, the one machine I'm not looking forward to fighting is the deathbringer during the final mission it was a handful on easy, stormbirds and stalkers might prove to be very irritating on very hard difficulty I will have to wait until I come across them to find out.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 22:39   #798
HD Simplicityy
Historian

Finished it!!
What an AWESOME experience that was. Loved it. My tenth game completion this year.
Final thoughts with no spoilers. Bear with me:

I think some elements could have been done a little better, but very few. Some story plot threads felt left unfinished. It might be me not completely understanding it all. Jankrow and I have private messaged the entire...? or most of the time I've played it, telling me stuff I might want to do to be prepared for the battles ahead, telling me the story keeps getting better, etc. You weren't wrong! If you want to chat more we can continue messaging haha. I haven't gotten the timeline of backstory events fully understood yet. Once I make more sense my appreciation for the writing of this gem will go further up. As much as I want to say it was perfectly written and designed, it wasn't. Still, Guerrilla took a risk and it payed off wonderfully. And this is my first game from them too. Before I forget, the four hour long musical score. Its amazing. Gets a little weak near the end, but its so good overall. Brought outstanding atmosphere to the world, the epic batttles, the story. Aloy's Theme is now one of my favorite game theme. Glad it just won a Jerry Goldsmith Award for Best Original Score.

I'll admit - I shed tears of joy at the end. No spoilers, but that last scene with Aloy made me happy. Not many games make me cry.

That epilogue ending though...whaaat?? I'm excited for the story DLC all right!

Aloy is a great character. She has wit, intelligence, perseverance, is understanding, compassionate, kicks her enemies' butts, but also questions who she trusts and if the risk she's taking is worth it, although she didn't make any mistakes that cause her to regret a choice. I suppose that's not what Guerrilla wanted. Can't copy other successful characters. She's pretty much cemented herself into my group of favorites. That list includes the Uncharted crew (Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher, Sully, Sam), Ellie and Joel from The Last of Us, Faith Connors from Mirrors Edge, Lara Croft from the reboot games, and Cortana, the Arbiter and Blue team from Halo - Spartan II's Kelly, Linda, Fred, including my all time favorite game character, who defined my childhood and adulthood, John -117 - Master Chief.

The whole experience reminds me of what I love about games today, as a Creative Writing major wanting to work in the game industry- well written, compelling and memorable stories with great characters combined with addicting gameplay mechanics that offer challenge, reward, replayability and depth.

This isn't the best game I've ever played, but I can say its in my top ten now. I'll place it at...hmmm.....*thinks*.... gosh its tough. I'd compare it with ES Skyrim. Love Skyrim though its rough spots. I just didn't play it a lot to get a full experience. HZD is a very fulfilling experience. Okay...tied with Skyrim at #6. That makes them both the best RPG experiences I've played, given I don't play many RPGs.

Final Score: 9.5/10. If you can ignore my somewhat odd scoring and ranking of these lol. My new top then best/favorite games. To be honest I forgot what I use to have at 7 through 10. So that is revised.

1) Halo 3 10/10
2) Halo 2 /Anniversary 10/10
3) Halo CE / Anniversary 9.5/10
4) The Last of Us / Remastered 10/10
5) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End 9.5/10
6) Horizon Zero Dawn and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. 9.5/10 and 9/10
7) Life is Strange 9/10
8) Assassins Creed: Syndicate 8.75/10
9) Rise of the Tomb Raider 8.5/10
10) A toss up between The Walking Dead - A Telltale Game: Season 2 (8.75/10) and Tomb Raider (2013 - 8.25/10). Can't decide and there's nothing else I can think of to put there.

Last edited by HD Simplicityy; 22-07-17 at 03:28.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote