marla_biggs

VCI
Rome
Russia
Ireland
marla_biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 02:21   #33
Anakzunamuhn

Rome: I do like a lot the new moves that were incorporated, it makes me think that this is the ultimate Lara of the classic era, all the movements are here. But the stage feels empty, there is an enemy void that is bad for the game, anyway, in terms of ambient it has very interesting sections. I love seeing the Coliseum from the above and that secret with the painting of the Gods.

Ireland: A good refresh for an already wasted game. Here the lack of enemies is understandable because the lack of weapons, this sections aims more to the puzzle's solving, but sadly all the puzzles are cheap. The demon with the coin, the old church, that strange machine that rotates and the labyrinth should be more polished.
Oh!!! And much less FMV!!! They're awful! That demon in the hole and the white hair of the priest... Dear God.

Russia/VCI: Well, I didn't play VCI yet, but I'm not a fan of the full action Lara, so I supposed I wouldn't like it. And for Russia, the design is awful, it's looks like a beta from the TRII era. I don't like anything of this section.

Last edited by Anakzunamuhn; 13-03-17 at 02:27.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 11:31   #34
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
Rome: I do like a lot the new moves that were incorporated, it makes me think that this is the ultimate Lara of the classic era, all the movements are here. But the stage feels empty, there is an enemy void that is bad for the game, anyway, in terms of ambient it has very interesting sections. I love seeing the Coliseum from the above and that secret with the painting of the Gods.

Ireland: A good refresh for an already wasted game. Here the lack of enemies is understandable because the lack of weapons, this sections aims more to the puzzle's solving, but sadly all the puzzles are cheap. The demon with the coin, the old church, that strange machine that rotates and the labyrinth should be more polished.
Oh!!! And much less FMV!!! They're awful! That demon in the hole and the white hair of the priest... Dear God.

Russia/VCI: Well, I didn't play VCI yet, but I'm not a fan of the full action Lara, so I supposed I wouldn't like it. And for Russia, the design is awful, it's looks like a beta from the TRII era. I don't like anything of this section.
The combat in VCI is more... tactical. There is less full throte combat and more of sniper. In fact, I think this section would benefit A LOT of the new TR's controls (as long as they would keep the classic platforming), because of the stealth importance.

The biggest problem with VCI is that depending on where you save, you might end up with bugs, maybe game breaking bugs. If you save often and in different slots, it is not a major problem, in fact the only bug I encountered is a secret room that didn't open.

And if you play on PC, you can always count on Stella, hahaha.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 12:57   #35
TR1249

1. Ireland
2. VCI
3. Rome
4. Russia (So boring omg )
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-17, 15:12   #36
Lillie

I got to play the VCI chapter after years just a few days ago. I rate them this way:

Ireland will forever be one of my favorite TR locations. It is very different from other classic TRs but I love it. I find the level design of the three levels very pretty, vivid but spooky and atmospheric at the same time, not to mention all the demons (I used to research information about them after playing the Ireland section). The music makes everything even better. I wish I had a chance to play more levels like these.

Rome is good too I like the art style, it has some good puzzles, platforming and boss fights, there is nothing particularly bad about the Rome levels.

Russia is okay but the submarine level is there just to waste my time it
seems - boring, lazy level design, hoping to make me confused with endless corridors. The sinking submarine was more interesting, but the base has to be my favorite of the three levels.

VCI - It has a couple of good ideas but otherwise it is a complete mess...I ragequit halfway through red alert and I could not be bothered to finish it as I was angry and annoyed ever since the 13th floor. I am glad AoD handled stealth better.

Last edited by Lillie; 19-03-17 at 15:14.
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 04:34   #37
Kapu

Out of curiosity (and boredom haha) I tallied the number of votes each section got for "most favorite" and ranked them. As of this post:

Rome is currently the highest most-favorited section, with 38% of the vote.
Ireland and VCI tie for second most-favorite, each with 29% of the vote.
Russia is the least most-favorited section, with only 4% of the vote.

I'm surprised by the popularity of the Rome levels. I thought for sure Ireland would be number one with how frequently it is talked about and praised, but I was wrong. Then again this is only a sample of 24 participants, so "more research is needed" I'd say.

I'm having a hard time picking my own personal order. I think a replay is in order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
Russia is okay but the submarine level is there just to waste my time it seems
This made me chuckle. I actually enjoyed the backtracking in the submarine level and having to figure out its layout. The corridors were all quite similar, though, which does make them feel repetitive. Too similar to real life! haha
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 07:15   #38
Lillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
Rome is currently the highest most-favorited section, with 38% of the vote.
Ireland and VCI tie for second most-favorite, each with 29% of the vote.
Russia is the least most-favorited section, with only 4% of the vote.

I'm surprised by the popularity of the Rome levels. I thought for sure Ireland would be number one with how frequently it is talked about and praised, but I was wrong.

This made me chuckle. I actually enjoyed the backtracking in the submarine level and having to figure out its layout. The corridors were all quite similar, though, which does make them feel repetitive. Too similar to real life! haha
I am surprised that people enjoy VCI so much I guess many fans like action sequences in old TRs.

Ireland is very different from the usual TR levels and that bothers some people, but it is an unforgettable section IMO, whether you enjoy it or not.

Remembering the layout was kinda fun but the lazy level design sucked all the excitement out of me xD.
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 19:07   #39
Grimaldi

Russia. I like the variety of gameplay with this one; a good mix up of stealth, exploration, an improved version of TR2's no weapon section, deep sea diving, and finally, one of my favourite levels: the eerie and claustrophobic Sinking Submarine. Love the colours from all the electricity and flames, too.

Ireland! I feel like Core had a lot of fun with the cutscenes here, they're some of the most entertaining. They really committed to the location and atmosphere, which shows in all its quirkiness.

Rome. A nice, condensed slice of the classics. Enjoyable if uneventful.

VCI. *groan* The variety's nice, but hi-tech, Area 51-type levels just aren't for me. The catsuit was awesome though.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-17, 19:25   #40
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Rome. A nice, condensed slice of the classics. Enjoyable if uneventful.
Uneventful?? It has four bosses!
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote