Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-01-17, 01:17   #61
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan1996 View Post
The "tombs" in the reboot series are an embarrassment, little 10 minute snacks, and still barely a handful of them. They should be more concerned with making those more substantial and more importantly the main part instead of optional in a game called TOMB RAIDER rather than how big the garbage hub areas and cinematic killthon sequences inbetween are. "Tombs are back" what a load of rubbish that turned out to be, it's the thing you do the very least of in the entire game.

Jack of all trades master of none that's what the reboot series is, it does lots of things but none of them very well, too busy chasing what's popular but by the time it's released what's popular has changed so they have to chase something else.
This I do agree with. Maybe that's why open world just doesn't sound like it'd work. :/ It would be cool though. I remember when I first played Skyrim, I told my boyfriend the only thing that'd make it even better is if the dungeons were "TR-like" mazes with puzzles and platforming (it already had traps pretty well covered). I think that'd be my perfect game... something that has both an action/adventure element and puzzle/exploration element. Though I don't know if that'd ever happen since they tend to "dumb down" one thing or the other depending on what the game's genre/focus is.

Honestly if TR was open-world, I would be worried that it'd suffer from feeling "empty" as it would take a lot to fill an entire world/map enough to where it'd still feel like TR. It's not quite the same exploration as what TR is known for since TR is much more detail oriented (as you say, the environment is built around Lara's abilities and how to manipulate and use them).

I think if there's anything I'd like TR to be more like it'd be the way TR4 was set up. I really liked how, for example, you start in the Alexandria level and can decide what area to go to next with all the branching levels. That was really cool. Which is more akin to the way Rise is set up with Hubs, but for me TR4 felt more open somehow. Like, in Rise you're pretty much forced to one area because of your lack of gear. You have to go to the church first after reaching the Soviet Installation. They don't let you choose where to go first, because it's blocked due to story. It still feels very linear because of this. Though maybe that's not the best example. I don't really consider side tombs the same thing.

But anyway... basically I agree with what larafan96 says here. If there's anything I'd really like to see in the next game it's more focus on the formula found in the older games. Less focus on combat, more on Exploring/puzzles etc. Less hand holding too. Or give options to turn it all on/off, including white paint, pop-ups etc. Hated that crap in Rise.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 01:18   #62
King Ultra

id like to see a more mature tougher lara,and longer,more expansive puzzles and tombs
King Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 21:26   #63
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Did they ?
You know what, on reflection, I actually don't know. I think it's just one of those statements that's been thrown around so much that I started to believe it. I should, then, revise what I said and say that EM have helped on the tombs and if it's been their ideas and imput that have helped make them a much more enjoyable experience in RoTR then EM having a heavier hand in the making of more of the game may be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Completely fabricated and exaggerated... But let's not start ANOTHER argument about who's right or wrong, ok?
Not at all. Please do not discount my feelings on this matter just because you don't agree and please don't do it with such a patronising manner. Simply saying you didn't agree would have been enough. I'll happily admit that, looking back, the phrase 'blowing up' was OTT so yes ,perhaps, exagerrated I can't argue with but not at all fabricated. There is a small minority, which I indicated by saying a 'handful' though a very loud and vocal one, of people who who seem to take any and every opportunity to jump on and provoque people who mention anything slightly negative about the reboot series, CD or anyone linked and who automatically make sweeping generalisations calling people fanboys or haters for being remotely positive about the classic games and calling this place toxic. That happens, it's not fabricated. Secondly, I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here but stating the type of behaviour I've observed on this forum in the past few months when I have only been able to browse and not actively post as much as I used to, or have done in recent weeks. So, yes I apologise for exagerrating but I won't for the rest of it.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 00:59   #64
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Not at all. Please do not discount my feelings on this matter just because you don't agree and please don't do it with such a patronising manner. Simply saying you didn't agree would have been enough. I'll happily admit that, looking back, the phrase 'blowing up' was OTT so yes ,perhaps, exagerrated I can't argue with but not at all fabricated. There is a small minority, which I indicated by saying a 'handful' though a very loud and vocal one, of people who who seem to take any and every opportunity to jump on and provoque people who mention anything slightly negative about the reboot series, CD or anyone linked and who automatically make sweeping generalisations calling people fanboys or haters for being remotely positive about the classic games and calling this place toxic. That happens, it's not fabricated. Secondly, I'm not trying to start any kind of argument here but stating the type of behaviour I've observed on this forum in the past few months when I have only been able to browse and not actively post as much as I used to, or have done in recent weeks. So, yes I apologise for exagerrating but I won't for the rest of it.
First of all, I apologize for my manners or if you felt like I was attacking you in some way. But let me tell you a story: I've been here for a long time and I had a lot of discussions with people completely trashing everything CD did right after the reboot until Rise was released for PS4. And having to CONSTANTLY defend a game that you really enjoy and see all the negativity that surrounded this place was very sad and even hurtful because I wanted to share my joy with other fans and I couldn't do that. I felt that way, as did other people. So who's right and who's wrong? Everyone and no-one. Extremists are in both sides. Luckily I can only name 2 or 3 people from each side and they're less and less active on the forums.

Back to the topic:

A couple of weeks ago I decided to play all the TR games from the classics to Rise until the release of Shadow. I thought it would be a nice opportunity to refresh in my mind how Core handled the franchise. I started with TR1 first, of course. I haven't played that game in more than 10 years and I'm having a blast because I don't remember a lot of the puzzles (btw, I'm posting my thoughts as I play it on the TR1 section of the forum, in case anyone wants to check that out, hehe). So, based on what I'm experiencing lately with TR1 and realizing that the game industry evolves with time, I want for the future of this franchise the following things:

1. A hardened Lara. Witty, a little bit sassy, less naive. Overall, what they did in Rise was pretty good. Like in the prison scene. More of that.
2. Dual pistols. Yes, it's a huge trademark for LARA CROFT. Keep the bow and the axe. Those are cool and pretty iconic at this point. But bring back the duals too.
3. Lara's model and wardrobe can stay. A backpack would be nice and makes sense. No shorts, no cleavage, keep her badass and feminine. Keep her face and fix the bangs a little bit (not to bothered by this, tbh).
4. In terms of gameplay: Keep the upgrades and collectibles (less documents would be fine).
5. Keep the combat and evolve it (hand-to-hand combat would be awesome).
6. Keep the hub system. It's good, it works. Finding caves or how to reach a certain area was fun.
7. Option to turn on/off SI, prompts. Classic fans and newcomers will appreciate having the option to adjust the play style they want.
8. More tombs. The amount in Rise was fine and the caves were a nice addition. Just add more, both optional AND mandatory. They are the highlight of the games.
9. More complex puzzles. Some of the tombs were very beautiful but really really easy and boring (Voice of God, I'm looking at you). Puzzles in tombs should be AT LEAST like Flooded Archives or The Orrery in terms of size and complexity. Come on! People want more challenge and you know it. Also, bring back keys and levers too. Rope is fine, but not when you have to use it for everything.
10. Last but definitely NOT LEAST. Keep Camila, she's fine but please, work on the story and dialogues. Make a story that's unforgettable with great characters, sidekicks, villains and an unexpected adventure that will make us go bald.

That's it.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:22   #65
Blackmoor

^That's a good list and I think it would be a significant impact on the next game in a way that would please a lot of people.

I'd also add - some different locations (cities, buildings, far-out places (eg, like Area 51 was in TR3 etc)), unexpected off-the-wall things happening (sparsely for impact).... A bit more complexity in the platforming...

And I'd be very pleased.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:25   #66
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan1996 View Post
Those outside the official forums and here notice it too with threads like this and this sounding very familiar to what fans have been saying for years.
My favourite opinion by them :
Quote:
First thing is first. Make the decision very early in development that there BE NO ****ING AUTOMATION IN ANY ASPECT OF THE PLATFORMING OR CONTROLS. Everything needs to be manually controlled by the player. The player needs to be in control of every action and the game needs to be about the player exploring and navigatimg their way though the hazards of the level design. Players have to line up their jumps. They have to think about their jumps. Jumps will be consistent in length and distance every single time and grabbing a ledge needs to be a manual input from the player. The platforming needs to be well designed and offer thought and challenge. Not just be automated cinematic bull****.

Second. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A SINGLE ****ING HUMAN ENEMY TO KILL. Not one. Maybe a few can appear in cutscenes at various points, but keep human combat away. Keep gunfights away. Tomb Raider is not a combat focused game. The clearest way to make sure of that is to have no human combat whatsoever. It's a choice that needs to be made early in developmemt and stuck to. Very light combat with some animals or mythical creatures every now and then just to give the player a little bit of variety is fine, but the core of the game needs to be all about the exploration, platforming and puzzle solving.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:36   #67
pipermaru

I don't think they should eliminate all the human combat, just make it less "oh this is an arena filled with bad guys that I need to clear to make progress and I have absolutely no choice but to fight these guys".

It should be way more... natural.

What I liked about the Endurance mode is how we're working our way through the wilderness and we stumble upon guards, no more than 4 at a time, and we fight them. It's a surprise, it keeps the player on the edge, it shakes up things and it doesn't feel forced or an arena.
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 01:39   #68
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermaru View Post
I don't think they should eliminate all the human combat, just make it less "oh this is an arena filled with bad guys that I need to clear to make progress and I have absolutely no choice but to fight these guys".

It should be way more... natural.

What I liked about the Endurance mode is how we're working our way through the wilderness and we stumble upon guards, no more than 4 at a time, and we fight them. It's a surprise, it keeps the player on the edge, it shakes up things and it doesn't feel forced or an arena.
I second this so much.
I also like in Endurance that you don't even have to fight - you can just run away, even if they've seen you.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 02:03   #69
benjamin_2010

I'd like for them to just be done. I'd rather see them end it now than continue to see this dead horse get dragged around, rebooted every few years, into a game that takes it further and further away from its origins. The series is so messed up now I can't even tell you what "Tomb Raider" or "Lara Croft" actually means.

I think they've done an excellent effort at devolving the series with the latest reboot, stripped down to the bare minimum, so that they can continue to milk it at each release. Sure, Lara will become a "real" Tomb Raider.... about 10 games from now when they have all our money.

Just my unpopular opinion of what direction I'd like to see the series take.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 02:17   #70
Leon2703

iWANEXI, that's a great list
I agree with basically everything you said but I would make this changes:
3. I would like the shorts to come back, not as a main outfit of course, but as a Classic outfit perhaps, or something that would make sense to the story.
4. About the upgrades and collectibles, I think less is more. Such as quality over quantity. (this was the worst part of Rise to me)
6. The hubs, I don't like them that much, I would prefer a big room inside a tomb filled with paths and puzzles to open the way to the next section. But I am sure they will keep them, I just hope they add some more puzzles to it.

As for combat, I really liked rise's, it was toned down and it worked imo, in the next game, I just hope there are monsters and more animals to fight instead of 'remnants of a lost civilization'.
Leon2703 is offline   Reply With Quote