www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 17-11-17, 14:14   #41
jackraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
I've probably said this before here but as far as I'm concerned TR3 is the zenith of the old games. If you wanted to play one TR game that defined the series it would TR3/TLA.
I agree. I always felt TRIII was the pinnacle of the TR series. Many would say TLR was, but I beg to differ. TRIII was a good blend of TR1's exploration/puzzles and TR2's variety/action. Most of the graphical enhancements featured in TLR and Chronicles was already introduced in TR3 (dynamic lighting system, weather effects, triangular geometry,etc.).

Quote:
The problem with it is that on PS the limited number of save opportunities provided drove the learning curve up almost vertically right from the start. It was skewed towards gamers who were TR veterans, I do not think there much doubt about that.
TRIII wasn't really intended for the casual gamers. I think the idea behind TRIII was that players had already mastered TR1-2. TRIII brought in new challenges. The limited save system requires the player to really get to know the level. You are expected to die ALOT to live and learn the level design. It's kind of the same concept as the modern checkpoint system you see today minus the autosaving.

Last edited by jackraider; 18-11-17 at 02:12.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 15:21   #42
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

All this talk about TR3 makes me really feel like playing it. I think I'll fancy doing so today.
Old 18-11-17, 01:15   #43
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
TRIII wasn't really intended for the TR veteran IMO. I think the idea behind TRIII was that players had already mastered TR1-2. TRIII brought in new challenges. The limited save system requires the player to really get to know the level. You are expected to die ALOT to live and learn the level design. It's kind of the same concept as the modern checkpoint system you see today minus the autosaving.
What other game of this type can you think of that kills you within a minute of starting the game?

Start of TR1 if you fall into the bear pit that is likely to be fatal and the wolves may get you even if you avoid it. The first save crystal is placed there for that very reason.

Start of TR2 it is unlikely the tigers will kill you and unless you fall the first place you're going to die is the the spiked wall traps by which time you're well into the game.

Start of TR4 you have a few scorpions and wild dogs/hyenas to deal with at the start but you're not probably not going to die until the rotating blade area.

Start of TR5 you get a few bats, dogs and human enemies but nothing is going to kill you for a very long time unless, again, you make a jump mistake.

TR3's start is a uniquely severe tutorial in comparison to any of the other games: two spike pits, a rolling boulder, a jump to a secret that can kill you if messed up. Then at the bottom of the slope a large lake of mud/quicksand that will almost certainly drown the first time player who won't have any idea about what it is let alone the danger.

Even if you get through that you'll probably be drowned or nibbled to death first time in the water and the spiked wall trap will get you if you're not expecting it because the timing is very tight. All this and you're barely out of the start area.

I rest my case.

Last edited by fallenangle; 18-11-17 at 14:10.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 02:11   #44
jackraider
Archaeologist

Completely agree. Meant to say casual game players.
Old 18-11-17, 07:38   #45
yeti
Hobbyist

this game. frustrated me so much when it was released, but now i think it's the classic i feel like coming back to most often. London. used to frustrate me to the point where that was the section that made me pause when thinking of running through this again. but then I've run through Aldwych and *gasp* Lud's Gate again and found I do enjoy those levels.

this game seems like an ode to hard core TR fans. the initial playthrough is downright brutal. and there are levels within each section that seemed (and maybe they were) completely unfair upon initial playthrough. but the levels teem with atmosphere and the difficulty curve is welcome after 19 (seriously, it's been 19 years???). TRII has long been my favorite in the series. but TRIII has me rethinking that as of late.

each of the 1st 4 TR games have something about them. the first is, well, the first and thus holds a special place in the series. the second built upon the first and despite its glaring weakness (way too much human combat), it has a series of levels from Barkhang Monastery through Dragon's Lair is easily the best run of levels in any TR imo. TRIV is probably the most Tomb Raider game of the series. its exploration, traps, and puzzles pretty much define the Tomb Raider experience--at least theoretically. but TRIII as I said seems like an ode to the fans of Tomb Raider. it is a game with its faults, but one that can be appreciated by those who have honed their skills in the series.

the ps version is the definitive version too imo.

Last edited by yeti; 18-11-17 at 17:57.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 18:50   #46
jackraider
Archaeologist

TRII is quite challenging too. Just not in the same way as TRIII. What makes TRII hard is the constant action such as the gunmen foes with the awkward artificial intelligence. That and sometimes a lack of med packs, but if you are collecting secrets this isn't really a problem.

In a old interview, Core Design explained that TRIII was built specifically around the PSX hardware. Of course the PC version has the higher resolution, but the PSX version has some exclusive features. Those features include; save crystals, audio echo/ reverb effects (footstep sounds, gunshot sounds, etc), Story so far, etc.

I'll admit, that Core strived to do something different with TLR and they took what was done with TRIII to a new level. Core does this by altering the environments and textures with more realism. The Egyptian setting felt a bit gimmicky, but I think that was the whole idea. TLR is a really nice game, but something loses me after the desert railroad level.

Personally, I always felt TR1-3 were the stronger games, but that's something I can go into later.
Old 19-11-17, 11:43   #47
Grimaldi
Historian

I want to adore TR3, but I feel like it despises me.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 16:05   #48
Nemo_91
Tomb Raider

Yasss. TR3 is, in my opinion, still the best game in the series after all these years. Incredible atmosphere, great level variety, amazing level design (with a few exceptions) and really nice sounds and music. That being said, it does have two of the worst levels in TR history (Caves of Kaliya, Lud's Gate) but the rest is excellent. It was actually released today 19 years ago!
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 18:07   #49
Nerd Brain
Hobbyist

In my opinion, Tomb Raider III is the best of the classic TR games. The ability to sprint and crouch in combination with the linear and "classic" movement - as the style Lara moves for me is sligthly different in TR4 and 5 - is just beautiful.
TR3 was the first Tomb Raider-game I ever played. I was fascinated of the huge areas and all the enemies. In every playthrough, Nevada for me was the first complex to play, because it's better to lose your weapons as quickly as possible so you have more time to collect ammo
Also I find the story is very interesting. Just imagine it would be true and there really were four/five artifacts which allow you to control evolution
All in all, Tomb Raider III is a beautiful game, for me the best one. But I actually don't really know if I would adore a remake of it. Sure it would be a great thing, but I just like the old style too much as that I could love the remake more
Nerd Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-17, 15:15   #50
XProger
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtombraider View Post
I would give anything to see this amazing get a remake with modern graphics...
I'm on the way 8)
XProger is offline   Reply With Quote