www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 08-11-18, 17:03   #1
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Default Perfect Difficulty

Having grown up with post-Legend games, I always had more of a knack for linear, casual games, in and out of the TR series. When I went back to play Core's games, I definitely enjoyed much of them, but I couldn't help but really struggle with the difficulty of the exploration, platforming and puzzles. I'm not the type to enjoy taking hours on a single puzzle, as I end up losing my patience and looking up the solution.
I felt like AoD, despite its astounding number of flaws -and despite not being the end product biased fans make it out to be- struck a pretty great balance with its difficulty. I noticed this during my second playthrough, during (I hope I remember right) the underwater puzzle in the Vault of Trophies with a bunch of statues? I remember how I had misinterpreted the solution and read it as Latin numbers instead of letters (or something of the sort), and those extra minutes I had taken trying out solutions and rushing for air really made me feel like a Raider. I feel like this would be more evident if AoD's excruciating controls hadn't made much simpler puzzles seem like a drag (I shudder at the thought of Breath of Hades)
Old 08-11-18, 22:12   #2
Samz
Professor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
Having grown up with post-Legend games, I always had more of a knack for linear, casual games, in and out of the TR series. When I went back to play Core's games, I definitely enjoyed much of them, but I couldn't help but really struggle with the difficulty of the exploration, platforming and puzzles. I'm not the type to enjoy taking hours on a single puzzle, as I end up losing my patience and looking up the solution.
I felt like AoD, despite its astounding number of flaws -and despite not being the end product biased fans make it out to be- struck a pretty great balance with its difficulty. I noticed this during my second playthrough, during (I hope I remember right) the underwater puzzle in the Vault of Trophies with a bunch of statues? I remember how I had misinterpreted the solution and read it as Latin numbers instead of letters (or something of the sort), and those extra minutes I had taken trying out solutions and rushing for air really made me feel like a Raider. I feel like this would be more evident if AoD's excruciating controls hadn't made much simpler puzzles seem like a drag (I shudder at the thought of Breath of Hades)
Aside from the boss fights (due to being poorly telegraphed, a major problem with TR4's regular gameplay), I do think it has better difficulty than every TR game after 2.

I want to like Last Revelation but crap like the transparent scroll silently becoming pickup able only after you actually get to the puzzle or having to comb SEVERAL levels at once for a single puzzle item you missed seriously kills my urge to keep playing.

I also like how guns have damage drop-off, which Legend and Anniversary seemed to keep. (But Underworld seemingly got rid of.)

Also Werner's Notebook and having to research it for puzzles (Like those Underwater statues you mentioned) was a great addition, I know TR4 technically introduced it, but they used it alot less, opening the Dig in the Louve was amazing, I feel TR should add more adventure game puzzles but Nah, we got rope arrows for everything later down the line.

Last edited by Samz; 08-11-18 at 23:11.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote