www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Old 07-11-18, 18:35   #1
jackraider
Archaeologist

Default Tomb Raider: The Lost Valley - Unity Project / Demo

Thanks largely to URAIDER by LarasDream, I announce a recreation of TR1’s The Lost Valley level. I’d have no interest in doing this if it weren’t for the URAIDER framework, which has inspired me to start this project. This is a recreation of the original The Lost Valley level from the original 1996 Tomb Raider game. Thanks to resources by Ash on his website, https://www.tomb-of-ash.com/, my project will heavily be inspired by Core Design’s cancelled Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition. The project will closely match the atmosphere, objects, and lighting as seen in the leaked images, concept arts, and videos. The gameplay will largely play the same as the original level with exceptions.

So here is a little laydown of what the project will consist of:

-New high-res textures most of which will be texture sets from TRAE. Some texture sets are too small or aren’t complete sets, so I will be using other sources. Level will be UV-mapped in Lightwave on the new geometry.

-I am reassembling the level room by room in Lightwave 3D thanks to the utility Room Viewer by Turbo Pascal. This can be a rather tedious process. If anyone knows of a method that can rip the whole level in its entirety than that would be a huge help! Formats such as DXF, obj, etc are all acceptable. For now, I'm having to export/import each room, then having to rotate and inverse each room in Lightwave. Then it's just a matter of connecting/positioning. Once I have the base of the original level built, I will then use that as a template to further add more detailed geometry and details.

-I will be using the original TR1 Lost Valley objects as placeholders before rebuilding the original models in Lightwave 3D and Zbrush for further details.

-Lighting, collision, item placement, scripting, effects, etc will all be done in Unity 3D. The project will be built using the URAIDER framework by LarasDream.

-SFX will be ripped from TR3 and AOD. In terms of music, it is my hope to include placeholder music files that would allow players to replace with Nathan McCree’s Tomb Raider Suite mp3s, particularly The T-REX, etc. However, due to the legality of it all I am not certain on this. In order to swap out the files, players would indeed need to own The Tomb Raider Suite. I will be seeking permission from McCree before implementing this idea.

-The level will feature a re-skinned AOD Lara model that attains all the color schemes and features of the TRAE Lara incarnation.

Thanks to URAIDER, most of the needed animations for Lara will be in place. For other animations such as the dinosaurs, its a matter of finding means to rip from TR3. The dog animations from AOD can easily be swapped in for the wolves.

This project is still in very early development. Please feel free to post comments, suggestions, input, etc. Here is the progress so far:

Last edited by jackraider; 07-11-18 at 21:09.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 18:37   #2
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I love the idea, and I love what you’re going for. I hope this will turn out wonderfully.
Old 07-11-18, 19:01   #3
Alex Fly
Legend

Looking forward to your future updates. I really like the sound of this!
Old 07-11-18, 20:41   #4
Potkanka
Historian

That's sounds really cool! I love the colours of TR:AE so I'm quite looking forward to how that will turn out... Well, not just that of course, but it's what came to my mind first.

Good luck with the project!
Old 07-11-18, 21:46   #5
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll see a team who can maybe remake TRAE in its entirety.

I think someone made a new program which rips entire levels into Meta format MQO.
It was recently so might be worth a look?
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 22:01   #6
Laras Dream
Archaeologist

I have to say, its really made my day to see someone wanting to start a URaider project. Its also extremely motivating!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 23:52   #7
jackraider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll see a team who can maybe remake TRAE in its entirety.

I think someone made a new program which rips entire levels into Meta format MQO.
It was recently so might be worth a look?
I will look into this! But I assume it's for TRNGLE / TR4 levels only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras Dream View Post
I have to say, its really made my day to see someone wanting to start a URaider project. Its also extremely motivating!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I hope you continue to develop URAIDER and make it open so that other fans can start projects and/ or collaborate. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by jackraider; 08-11-18 at 16:15.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 01:38   #8
charmedangelin
Professor

Sounds incredible, I can only imagine the custom levels we are going to get from URaider. This is astonishing.
Old 08-11-18, 23:00   #9
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I will look into this! But I assume it's for TRNGLE / TR4 levels only.
There are a couple of programs actually that can rip an entire level into MQO format, TR Map Extractor and Meta2TR come to mind. Once the level is extracted, you can open it in metasequoia, merge all the rooms into one object, then save it in .obj format.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote