www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-11-18, 22:50   #1
jackraider
Archaeologist

Default Anyone familiar with New Orleans? Might move.

Is it safe? Affordable? Might transfer there via my day job here in GA. I have other possible options outside of GA, but just curious. New Orleans seems cool. Seems shady maybe? Is that a good thing?
Old 07-11-18, 22:58   #2
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

To my admittedly limited knowledge it's the most violent city of the US. I once heard a public intellectual call it a third world city.

But it's the home of the jazz, so if that is your thing...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 02:32   #3
New Dwight
Archaeologist

go anyway shady and you definitely lookin for a place with no light.
Old 08-11-18, 04:53   #4
Ahmier
Archaeologist

It’s a pretty nice place during the day. It’s nothing out of the typical violence you see in other states. But I would say be careful around certain neighborhoods as well as being out and about during the night. Definitely look into moving in the suburbs.
Old 08-11-18, 05:22   #5
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmier View Post
It’s a pretty nice place during the day. It’s nothing out of the typical violence you see in other states. But I would say be careful around certain neighborhoods as well as being out and about during the night. Definitely look into moving in the suburbs.
oh so you've lived there before. Coming from experience
Old 08-11-18, 05:25   #6
Ahmier
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
oh so you've lived there before. Coming from experience
Oh no aha. Only visited but a week was enough to gain some knowledge of what goes on there.
Old 08-11-18, 13:33   #7
jackraider
Archaeologist

What did you see?
Old 08-11-18, 18:41   #8
Ahmier
Archaeologist

Only thing I saw was a fight. But that was probably just a friendly brawl between them. It was a gang so that’s why I advise not hanging around the run down areas. I was mostly inside during the night but you can hear some occasional ruckus happening outside. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a colorful place. Full of nice people and activities but it’s hard not having that lingering thought that you might get mugged or jumped.
Old 08-11-18, 19:45   #9
jackraider
Archaeologist

I'll probably just move back home to FL. Agh. Boring FL w/ the crazy family. What I tried escaping. Is New Orleans ghetto? I'm sorry , but definitely trying to escape the hoodrat / gang mentality as well. Dealing with that at my job in GA. Not me.

Last edited by jackraider; 09-11-18 at 14:12.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 14:22   #10
Dennis's Mom

New Orleans is a city of contrasts. It's a city with probably the most history in the South. It's been a huge port for 200 years. The Spanish had it, then the French, then the the Louisiana Purchase happened. Not to mention all the native Americans who were there before.

But---although I haven't lived there, only visited as a tourist---it's still a very racially polarized city. Louisiana is one of the most backwards states vis a vis integration, IMO, so I think you will find it feels very segregated along racial lines.

I've messaged a friend who once lived there and returns regularly for the Jazz Festival to ask him how he would feel about moving there today, if he were younger and had an opportunity. (Like me, he is in his fifties.) Will update you when I hear.

OK, here's what he said when I asked him if he would move back to New Orleans:
Quote:
Yes I would do so. Since Katrina the city has changed a lot. There's more optimism, and acceptance of people from out of the city. Much of the street crime and drugs has gone (to Houston, unfortunately), along with much of the city blight. I actually would move there now and for a bit, when we were chasing a client there, I lobbied for my firm to open an office there with me in it.

I see a lot of new businesses, and a lot of younger people who have moved there. More conventions, more tourism, more development. It just feels like a more dynamic place open to new ideas than when I lived there. In the 80s and 90s when I was there, people were very resistant to change and to people moving there from other places. I had few friends. Crime seemed everywhere. Not just murders and such but petty, quality of life stuff. Lots of poverty and run down areas. That's mostly gone.
I mentioned that the alternative was Florida, and he offered his opinion on that too.

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time in Florida and let me tell you it is a POS. Everywhere you go. Key West is kind of an exception but everywhere else is horrible. That Twitter site, Florida Man, is no joke. Half the state is what a friend describes as "God's Waiting Room." In the south its Euro trash, Cubans, Northeast refugees, and drug runners. The north is like Alabama with 3xs the meth, and they think Vidor is too soft on minorities. Stay Away!!
Apologies if his opinion of FL offends. I know you have family there.

Last edited by Dennis's Mom; 11-11-18 at 00:53.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote