www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 10-11-18, 20:57   #1
Lwmte
Explorer

Default TE - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am newbie level builder. Should I use TRLE/NGLE or TE?
A: For newbie builders, TE learning curve should be less than TRLE learning curve, because generally TE has less compatibility problems and generally more user-friendly interface. However, TE workflow differs from original level editor workflow, so certain TRLE tricks and legacy tools may be not applicable or compatible with TE - for example, meta2tr or NG plugin triggers (see explanation below). On the other hand, TE offers many features which were either unavailable in original TRLE or require special setups and workarounds. So general advice is - try both and decide which one fits your needs.

Q: I am die-hard TRLE/NGLE level builder. Should I migrate to TE and port my existing projects?
A: If your level uses meta2tr or NG plugin triggers, and if you're on final stages of production - it's not recommended to port your PRJs to TE. If you're not using meta2tr, plugin triggers and just started designing your level, then you can try to port your NG project or start TE project from scratch - it shouldn't cause problems.

Q: Can I use TE at all? I heard it is so broken and unstable!
A: Past beta versions were really unstable and had lots of bugs. Current version 1.2.1 is a release candidate which eliminated majority of problems people experienced with previous versions. You can download and test it yourself, if you're not sure about TE stability.

Q: Is there any tutorials for TE?
A: Yes, there are several video tutorials available at YouTube.

Q: Is there any text or PDF manual for TE?
A: Unfortunately, no. Right now, dev team don't have enough human resources and time to write extensive manual or make example project. However, there is a detailed getting started instructions in this forum message. Also, if you have enough free time and you're already familiar with TE - you can help with writing basic manual for it.

Q: Which original TRLE features are not yet available in TE?
A: Edit object function (assigning floordata collision to objects/statics), crack mode, level preview, NGLE vertical 2D map (you can use depth bar instead).

Q: Where is the UNDO function?
A: Unfortunately, currently undo and redo functionality isn't implemented, but it's on priority list for next major version.

Q: Does TE support TRNG?
A: Yes, it does. Since version 1.2, almost all NG-specific features such as specific triggers and flipeffects are supported, excluding plugin triggers and partially animated textures.

Q: Why TE doesn't support TRNG plugin triggers and animated textures like river-rotate or P-frames?
A: Because TRNG is a closed-source software and Paolone is not available to provide us with source code, details or documentation on how exactly plugin triggers and animated textures are programmed and how it should be implemented.

Q: Will TE work with non-trigger TRNG plugins?
A: Since non-trigger TRNG plugins doesn't depend on level editor itself - yes, it will.

Q: I can't see TRNG triggers in trigger window and any other TRNG-specific controls!
A: Switch Game version to target in level settings window to TRNG.

Q: Can I use meta2tr with TE levels?
A: Levels generated with latest TE versions can be loaded into meta2tr, however, meta2tr can't properly identify and parse sub-pixel texture coordinates which are extensively used in TE-generated levels. This results in corrupted textures and de-animated animation ranges. It happens because presumably meta2tr uses different formula to convert texture coordinates. Since meta2tr programmer is also not available anymore and meta2tr is also a closed-source software, we can't fix this issue without his assistance.

Q: If TE isn't compatible with meta2tr, how can I use custom geometry?
A: You can already import custom geometry in various formats using imported geometry feature. Also, there's pending built-in support for room importing and exporting in mqo format.

Q: Will TE support freeform mesh editing and more wall subdivisions?
A: Not in forseeable future. Alternatively, you can use imported geometry feature mentioned above.

Q: Why some TRLE tools display messed up textures on rooms and/or objects in levels generated with TE?
A: Same reason why meta2tr fails - because almost no any TRLE tool properly parses texture coordinate format, which was unknown before the end of 2017. Known tools which properly parse TE levels are FexMerger and latest FexInspect builds by sapper.

Q: What is WadTool? Is it WadMerger replacement? Can I use it instead?
A: Indeed, WT is meant to be WM replacement. Currently the tool is a work in progress and unstable. For now, it's not recommended to use it instead of WadMerger.

Q: Will TE support TR1, TR2 and TR3 file formats?
A: At some point of development, there were plans for TR1-3 file format support. Currently there's no such plans due to compatibility problems and lack of free time.

Q: I see there is TR5 and TR5Main targets in Level Settings. What does it mean?
A: You can also compile levels for TR5, although support is experimental. TR5Main support is also experimental and format is subject to change as TR5Main project develops further.

Q: I am a programmer and I want to contribute to TE development. Can I do it?
A: Sure! Tomb Editor is not proprietary or privately owned software. Contact MontyTRC for further assistance.

Last edited by Lwmte; 12-11-18 at 14:54.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 04:30   #2
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Thank for the FAQ! Answered all my questions I had and looked to ask for. Make this a sticky.