Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 25-06-17, 07:23   #1
CoTeCiO

Default Question about the Maria Doria

Hey guys! I've been playing this game for the last two days for the first time in sixteen years and I just finished The Deck and I just got a question about the wreckage levels.

What's that about The Deck level that the deck of the ship is actually not underwater? I mean, it's like on an underwater cave or something, but something tells me that the odds of something like that happening in real life are reaaaaally dim!

I don't want to spoil the fun, in the end, those levels are great and the atmosphere is absolutely brilliant, the claustrophobic feeling, the fact that one half of the ship is upside down (I just now realized one half was upside down and the other upright and that the ship actually split in half), how the ocean has pretty much assimilated itself over her, it's all awesome, but that bit of the underwater cave seems a little bit over the top. What are your thoughts on that?

P.S.: It's not like TR2 is the most realistic game ever anyway, it also has Lara pulling levers and switches that move thousands of gallons of water in a matter of a second or so.
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 07:35   #2
Boobandie

*waits for The Great Chi*
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-17, 21:46   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
*waits for The Great Chi*
He he, here I am, and this is one of my favorite questions which many newer or puzzled Tomb Raider fans like to ask about.

This subject has been talked about in the past many times on here by curious fans wanting to know why the original designers made levels like this.

And in this particular level why the ship ended up on the seabed in a most unusual and impossible position.

I like many others scratched their heads about the ship layout, and I ended up making a 3D diagram of the ship.

Conclusion: was that the designers wanted to make the level more interesting with difficult game play, compared to a normal sunken ship.

My picture....

Last edited by The Great Chi; 01-07-17 at 19:06.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 01:39   #4
Boobandie

Could a volcanic eruption have covered it after it hit the bottom? I don't really see how else they could have an airtight chamber. Videogame lava for sure, managing to arch over the ship and make a cavern as well as not melt the wreck, but really the only way I can see.

Also the predominant theory for why there is air is that the rig above was built to pump the water out from the wreck.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 11:35   #5
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

All very good theories indeed

Anyway the imagination of the designers of this level, made it very exciting and visually entertaining to play.

What is so good about these early TR games (TR1 to TRC) is that the data file that contains the map of each level, is totally complete, unlike later TR games, and hence you can visit everywhere, and see everything.....

I explored all of classic TR games, to get to all the inaccessible areas in each level using the TR modding tools available. Started with position editor to get to locations not easily reached within interconnected rooms. And for non-interconnected rooms used fexinspect to relocate Lara to inaccessible locations.

Lara Croft was all about exploring, and I took it to mean exploring everywhere
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 15:12   #6
Quebsenuef

I was under the impression that all the air pockets that would seem impossible, like the whole Deck area, were due to Marco's oil rig pumping water out and getting air in.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 18:54   #7
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I was under the impression that all the air pockets that would seem impossible, like the whole Deck area, were due to Marco's oil rig pumping water out and getting air in.
This is a very interesting theory. Sounds plausible to me.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 22:44   #8
Sanglyph

Here's my take on the whole thing. Took a bunch of fan theories into account for this, including The Great Chi's and other stuff from a bunch of old threads I found on here.

(The link includes a timestamp but it seems to be a little buggy. The relevant section starts around 21:20.)
Sanglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 10:43   #9
Anne Boleyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanglyph View Post
Here's my take on the whole thing. Took a bunch of fan theories into account for this, including The Great Chi's and other stuff from a bunch of old threads I found on here.

(The link includes a timestamp but it seems to be a little buggy. The relevant section starts around 21:20.)
I love these - Will videos be forthcoming for the other classic Tomb Raiders?
Anne Boleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 11:35   #10
redfox45

I remember when I first came here, this was one of the first things I saw.
And it was SO satisfying
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote